Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: feature drive  (Read 2863 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: feature drive
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 12:01:04 am »

I would like to see the Hauling Arc come after the Caravan Arc.  Goddess knows that far too much space and time is dedicated to hauling...but hey, if future Drives are dedicated to other things, like Content, here is what I want to see:

MEGABEASTS

Phoenix
a flaming cockatoo.  Most likely avian candidate to make the Roc into a Semi-Megabeast, considering that a Phoenix is on fire, has the ability to be reborn, and is likely to be just as large.  Probably fairly easy to implement, since it is just resetting this particular beast back into egg form or perhaps having it become a chick again in a blaze of glory.  Either way, this bird is probably the oldest Megabeast in existence, if it were born in the first place.

What? No.  I've never heard of a giant phoenix.  Phoenixes are like the size of an eagle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(mythology) 
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 03:14:42 am »

In most of the videos and comics I have watched, they are often depicted to be much larger than Eagles.  However, I did alter my descriptions of the creatures I listed in my post, to be more sensible and appealing in my opinion, derived from what I read on Wikipedia, D&D, Tezuka, Pokemon, and my muddled memory of mythology.   Reconsidering the size of the bird, I guess it would make sense that it would be smaller than a Roc, since that beast's most defining trait is sheer size, considering that it has no other special abilities of note.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 07:02:15 am »

The megabeast one wouldn't be that bad actually.  It would take about as much work as the regular animals, correct?
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 02:33:40 am »

I think dumbledore's phoenix in the movies is a good example of a decent sized phoenix, As long as a human can't ride it in any sense, flying or chocobo style, then I'm fine with it's size.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 03:29:01 am »

Quick quibble: it's the catoblepas's gaze that turns people to stone. Fortunately, its head is so heavy and its neck so weak that it can barely gaze at anyone. It's definitely one of the weirdest creatures of myth (enough so that I was stunned to discover that it does come from myth, not the wonderfully warped imaginations of Gygax and Arneson as I once thought -- along with the leucrotta and a few of the other so-bizarre-I-could've-sworn-they-were-making-it-up entries in the Monster Manual).
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 04:32:08 am »

Hm, if I was capable of getting money to Toady, I would certainly vote for gaze attacks. It's always entertained me to imagine the complete and sudden ridiculousness of someone turning to stone because they looked at something that ugly. Almost as though the vision is just so horrible that they really have no other reasonable choice. Now I'm remembering the eye case I fantasized about so often so long ago and giggling constantly.
 Of course, doing that option right would require quite a bit more coding and time than bees did, as it's an attack that needs to check for target vision (organs, direction, eye-contact, chance-of-successful aversion), ~kill the target, and replace the target's normal corpse with a (possibly already 'built') statue of the target (then check if it falls to the ground and breaks). The special masterwork statues would be the best part of the feature, especially in Fortress Mode.

I'd expect adult phoenixes would be the size of the average funeral pyre, and worthy of fear and awe at their incineration and rebirth powers. It would be neat to have one come to your fort, wipe out all but a few of your dwarves, and then when you think it's over, a chick appears to finish the roasting.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 11:23:10 am »

Of course first we would have to figure out how to make the dwarf turn into a statue of himself. We can't even get Iron Men to leave a statue of an iron man yet.

Shields should also reflect back sight attacks based on the shield skill. Thus making stone gazing creatures defeatable.

We could then have a Medusa megabeast as well, harder then a basilisk because of it's ability to equip and larger size.

Then a nifty adventurer aesthetic would be, when a stone turning beast destroys a town, every person turns into a built statue.

+2 on the megabeast drive

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 03:21:01 pm »

Shields should also reflect back sight attacks based on the shield skill. Thus making stone gazing creatures defeatable.

Or it would be cool if you could blindfold yourself like in NetHack.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 05:16:06 pm »

NetHack, I remember that game! Stupid leprechauns always takin' my stuff.

I suppose it would be a nifty thing in Adventurer mode, in Dwarf mode it would have to be some sort of armor you could assign to dwarves if one of these badies ever showed up.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 05:33:20 pm »

i would prefer the vehicle arc to be next if anything [...]

Then we can have a vehicle drive.

(Had to be said.  Well, maybe it didn't.)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 10:37:22 am »

Feature drive? Wouldn't new suggestions and all that go into the suggestion voting rather than having drives for all kinds of stuff?
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 10:52:10 am »

Feature Drive - Vote with your dollars, it is the influential way.  Pays for Toady's bills too.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 11:25:28 am »

Feature Drive - Vote with your dollars, it is the influential way.  Pays for Toady's bills too.
I've got a boat(murdered)load of microcline crafts here, would they help?

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 11:34:04 am »

Or maybe a bugfix drive for those people that really want the dungeon master back?

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 05:00:59 pm »

Given the success of said animal drive, there WILL be another drive, but that has yet to be determined.  Whatever we do needs to be the following:

1. Not a big game changer
2. Have a short programming time
3. Not susceptible to sweeping changes in the future.  It would be a bummer for someone to sponsor something that just HAD to go later.
4. Being atmospheric or adding "flavor" to the game is a bonus.

We've kicked around some ideas already, and Toady has THE say, but I personally wouldn't be against megabeasts, or activities such as smoking and other leisure-time activities.  We'll see!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3