Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: feature drive  (Read 2855 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
feature drive
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »

given the stunning success of the animal drive, I suggest a feature drive, were players can elect a feature to get preference for codding in.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: feature drive
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:44:24 pm »

Creatures are 5-20 lines of raw code only, or else they included stuff he'd planned on doing already(bees).

Doing the same thing with features would only end in tragedy, when the really popular long term stuff thats being actively avoided didn't make the list, nor did ppls favorite suggestion that roesn't fit df at all.

Plants, minerals, weapons... that stuff makes a better target.  Once a year may be all the market will bear for that, as well

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:08:32 pm »

Yeah, Toady would die.  It would be a lot of work.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:06:37 pm »

At the end of the caravan arc we should have an arc drive, where we all vote on what arc Toady does next.
I think that it'd make a heap of money, as animals can be modded in, but features can't.

That's why bees were the most voted for animal, because they required a feature that wasn't implemented yet.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:18:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Army Arc will be Toadster's next big project, he mentions it a couple times in the Dev notes. Then again, I'm not Toady One, but don't hold your breath.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:19:35 pm »

Toady has thought of doing a drive for megabeasts and semi-megabeasts.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:36:36 pm »

Toady has thought of doing a drive for megabeasts and semi-megabeasts.

Please explain, I have not heard of this one before.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 05:53:46 pm »

i would prefer the vehicle arc to be next if anything then the army arc.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 07:40:42 pm »

Without the army arc the vehicles would be stupid.

Feature Driving goes against Toadish philosophy.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:32:30 pm »

Hee hee FallingWhale and your ambiguous but mostly correct responses  :P

Siege weapons are incoming, if I recall right during the army arc (Or is it caravan?) One or the other.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:27:22 pm »

Doing the same thing with features would only end in tragedy, when the really popular long term stuff thats being actively avoided didn't make the list, nor did ppls favorite suggestion that roesn't fit df at all.

I agree. This would probably be a bad idea.

The one exception that I can see, however, is if it were specifically a MINOR Feature Drive, explicitly relating only to minor features with little or no actual in-game effect, expanded descriptions for different things and stuff of that nature...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 09:07:23 am »

Drives should be about content, not features.  DF already has plenty of features and is slowly gaining more... and they're hard.

Content-wise however, if it wasn't for randomly generated weird monsters, DF would have no variety.   Therefore, content drives make alot of sense.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 11:02:25 am »

I'm pretty sure the Army Arc will be Toadster's next big project, he mentions it a couple times in the Dev notes. Then again, I'm not Toady One, but don't hold your breath.
And in DF Talk 11. If I remember correctly (and you could verify by listening to it or reading the transcript (if one currently exists)), he's currently working on the Caravan Arc and will move on to the Army Arc after that.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 11:40:29 am »

I would like to see the Hauling Arc come after the Caravan Arc.  Goddess knows that far too much space and time is dedicated to hauling...but hey, if future Drives are dedicated to other things, like Content, here is what I want to see:

MEGABEASTS

Phoenix
a flaming cockatoo.  Most likely avian candidate to make the Roc into a Semi-Megabeast, considering that a Phoenix is on fire, has the ability to be reborn, and is likely to be just as large.  Probably fairly easy to implement, since it is just resetting this particular beast back into egg form or perhaps having it become a chick again in a blaze of glory.  Either way, this bird is probably the oldest Megabeast in existence, if it were born in the first place.

Kraken
Oversized cuttlefish, which tend to be rather curious about things they find, including wrenches, bottles, and dwarven steamships.  Only difference, is that a Kraken is large enough to take things from the surface, like ships and unlucky beach-goers for later investigation.  It would be interesting if Toady could make tentacled creatures to be able to limbs extending from the main body for several tiles, with it being possible to sever them.  Would make for interesting combat possibilities for this megabeast, and allow some of us to run a sushi bar, much like Order of the Stick's hydra cuisine.

Sphinx
A guardian lion that has gone Egyptian.  Why not?  At least you can then be a monument.  More importantly, the Sphinx is known for speaking riddles and rewarding people who succeed, and making a snack of the people who don't.  Tends to appear in front of a Dwarf Fortress and tempt the population with promises of pig-tail socks.  Never before has an oversized cat been so content.  Perhaps the Toady One could create a riddle generator in conjunction with the Sphinx, in part so that more artsy dwarves and pansy elves could try to seem witty, when not confronting a certain feline.

SEMI-MEGABEASTS

Cockatrices, Basilisks, Catoblepas, and Gorgons
All four have the ability to turn other living beings into stone.  Cockatrices do so by making contact with someone - but wearing gloves and clothing across the entire body should prevent stoning.  Catoblepas are essentially large bulls, and they have some sort of breath that causes people to solidify.  Gorgons are probably the most dangerous, considering that someone has to only look at a Gorgon to be changed into stone.  However, being blind, closing your eyes, or otherwise not looking at a Gorgon would prevent this effect.  Gorgons are the smartest of these creatures, considering that they are women with snakes for hair.  Basilisks can touch, breath, and stare people to stone, plus they are venomous.  However, Basilisks are as bright as a bag of rocks.  Since they all are about the same ability, only with different means of delivering it, they would make sense for a Megabeast/Semi-Megabeast drive for Toady to focus on if this entry wins.

Vampires, Werebeasts, and other diseased social rejects
The legends surrounding the vampires and werebeasts often involved some sort of enchanted disease that defies thermodynamics and evolution, clearly putting the notion of science to rest.  Not so much in Dwarf Fortress, where being a Werewolf is apparently not a disease, but something you are born as.  Correcting this would probably take some work, but might be helpful for coding in other wonderful ailments.  I bet that the change over to a Werewolf would alter the personality of the victim, as would vamprism.  So expansion of disease spread, effects, and generally improving the implementation of the monster population would be the benefit of this path.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:04:15 pm by Sabin Stargem »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »

+1 for the Megabeast drive idea.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: [1] 2 3