Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does the many foods/barrels trick work?  (Read 1301 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Does the many foods/barrels trick work?
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:43:33 am »

A while back I read on the forums that if you picked 1 of each of a whole bunch of different kinds of foods, you'd wind up with "a lot" of barrels as each kind of food would get its own "stack" in the barrel.  Winding up with lots of barrels with a few stacks of single items.  It doesn't seem to make a difference if I pick 1 each of 200 different foods or 200 of a single food, I still wind up with around the same number of barrels as it would take to hold 200 foods.  Is this still a valid trick or am I wasting time selecting all these foods.  (Which I wind up doing each embark because invariably half the items on my embark profile are not available.)
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does the many foods/barrels trick work?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:54:29 pm »

I have no idea what you are trying to, it would seem to me that you are trying to get the most amount of food into the least amount of barrels.  To my understand a barrel will hold 10 food items and can hold say 5 prepared plump helmets and 5 chicken eggs.   if the stack is over 10 the food item will be stored directly into the stock pile.  The only way I have found to save space is to have both items bellow and above 5.  a dwarven rum roast (200) and a plump helmet roast (9) can be stored in the same tile (one in a barrel and one top) and thus you can store 200+ meals with one barrel/tile.  to get this effect, find a several stacks of pump helmet that have 5 in a stack, brew them down to ale, then order your cook to turn the ale into meals.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »

What he's trying to do is get the greatest amount of free barrels at embark.

I'm not sure if this still happens of not, sorry.
I usually don't bother with meat anyway, I just spend all my extra points on nice, cheap milk.  ;)

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:04:37 pm »

I usually don't bother with meat anyway, I just spend all my extra points on nice, cheap milk.  ;)

Hey...milk. There's an idea. The barrel trick works for me in .18. The food types don't get mixed, so you can get a barrel per type. This milk idea is pretty clever though. That, along with buying sand for bags is some very economical embark buying.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:49:33 pm »

The barrel trick works for me in .18. The food types don't get mixed, so you can get a barrel per type.

Yes this.

Hrm.  It seems like they are getting mixed for me.  I'll have to do a couple new embarks and see if I can figure out what's going on.  Thanks.
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 01:54:24 pm »

It works with meats and fish too, the thing is that any items from one specific species will go into the same barrel, so say if you get one each pig meat, pig intestines, and pig eyeballs, all 3 will go into one barrel, but if you get one each of pig meat, cow meat, and goat meat, each gets its own barrel.

The easiest way to manage this is to hit 'n' for a new item, then type 'meat' and the list will be filtered to only show the meat of each animal, then buy one of each different animals meat (just the 2 point ones in this case, for the most bang for the buck).  You will end up with as many free barrels as species of meat you get.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 04:19:31 pm »

It works with meats and fish too, the thing is that any items from one specific species will go into the same barrel, so say if you get one each pig meat, pig intestines, and pig eyeballs, all 3 will go into one barrel, but if you get one each of pig meat, cow meat, and goat meat, each gets its own barrel.

The easiest way to manage this is to hit 'n' for a new item, then type 'meat' and the list will be filtered to only show the meat of each animal, then buy one of each different animals meat (just the 2 point ones in this case, for the most bang for the buck).  You will end up with as many free barrels as species of meat you get.

Ah, I'm betting this is the problem with the number of barrels I'm getting then.  I've been picking food based on being cheap rather than making sure I have all different animal-meats.  I'll have to re-do this with each one being a specific animal meat. 

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 01:59:55 pm »

Hey...milk. There's an idea. The barrel trick works for me in .18. The food types don't get mixed, so you can get a barrel per type. This milk idea is pretty clever though. That, along with buying sand for bags is some very economical embark buying.

I, too, tend to buy milk first and meat second.  If I'm going to use a cheesy exploit, I might as well get some cheese :P

Milk -> Cheese
     +
Sand -> Large, Serrated Green Glass Discs
     =
free bags + free barrels + good meals + trade goods

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 03:23:13 pm »

Also buy one of each milk, this helps to remove all milks from being cookable at the start of a game and each one is put into a barrel instead of a bucket.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:00:04 pm »

Just change the settings to give yourself more embark points and bring more barrels.  Jeez, it's a singleplayer game, it's okay to 'cheat'.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 06:08:56 pm »

j0nas, you don't understand what drives the min-max player types, do you? Maximizing the bang for the buck is what they are after.

Of course, with LARGE POTS made from stone getting used JUST LIKE BARRELS, it isn't nearly as big a deal as it used to be. As soon as you have stone and a craftshop, you can churn out several pots, and save your first wood for important things like beds and spiked wooden balls (for trading!).
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 07:03:34 pm »

Seriously who worries about barrels anymore now that we have cheap stone pots???