Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tiny bit of not terribly relevant science, recorded for posterity: Abridged  (Read 3530 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est

An FYI to those curious:

Normally, if you restrict access to your trade depot such that wagon access is only possible by a single route, the caravans will always spawn along that route despite the fact they no longer bring wagons. In my latest seaside embark I figured I'd take advantage of this to create a completely safe entry route for the caravan OVER the ocean. I just built an extended walkway to the edge of the map over the ocean, built a bridge to the edge, and then checked the Depot access: indeed, the only path to the depot, it said, involved crossing over my bridge to the edge of the ocean, and my depot was listed as accessible. When the merchants next spawned, however, it was not over the ocean, but on land, and they squeezed through a 1x1 opening.

So it seems sides of the map which are not accessible to trade at the start of an embark (i.e., the ocean) do not become accessible simply because you build a bridge to them. Which makes perfect sense, of course, but I didn't anticipate it to be the case. Now I have a hugeass chalk bridge for no reason leading to nowhere.

Or caravans no longer automatically follow wagon accessible routes if available, I guess.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Caravans do still look for a three tile wide path from the map edge to your depot, but will only appear on an edge of the map that the civilization sending the caravan can reach.  If you have an impassible river running through your embark site, you may discover that caravans will only spawn on one side of your map.  No civilization can travel across the ocean, so no caravan will appear on an artificial bridge out to the ocean.   The depot accessibility check does not warn you of this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

If their route is otherwise blocked, will they leave via the ocean?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

Create a 3 wide bridge.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now I have a hugeass chalk bridge for no reason leading to nowhere.

Ah, simply not true, amigo!  Now you have a hugeass chalk bridge leading to nowhere --b ut not for no reason!  You must use this chalk bridge to create an amazing shrine.  Perhaps one to the political gag of recent years, of huge expense for a bridge to nowhere; or perhaps one to school teachers, by painting it green with...  Does anything have green blood?  Or if you have green stone.  Or Just an infinite celebration of the undeniable love between Chalk and the Ocean!  Collapse some parts of the bridge and produce a replica of The Needles!  Uh...  Weaponize it somehow.  Maybe with, like, I dunno, magma.  In some way.  *shrug*
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist McMigrant: What is.. you've built a road out over the ocean!? By Armok, why?
Shorast McMason: Aye, we figured the caravans would be safer, the goblins can't get to the road, after all.
Urist McMigrant: Well.. I suppose so, yes, no goblins on that road. But how will the caravans get to it?
Shorast McMason: Engineering errors are always clearer in hindsight, eh?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:00:46 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doesn't vomit show up green?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Brown for me.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Build the bridge into a shrine to Toady. Or Armok. Wait... maybe Toady is Armok!
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I say you should take a page out of the Sea Monster farming thread, then run with it. Tunnel beneath the ocean, starting directly below the water and descending to a stone layer so that you can carve fortifications in the edge of the map, then use your chalk bridge to position a collapsing rig to create a cave in that will punch a hole into your prepared drainage tunnel (don't forget to use raising bridges to allow you to turn off the drainage). Drain the sea and build a watertight doomsday bunker on the sea floor. Populate said bunker with a handful of dwarves and give them everything they need to stay alive (small farm plot, still, some barrels, etc).
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile

I conducted a similar experiment in 40d, tried to get the caravans to spawn on cast obsidian at the map edge. As far as I remember the caravan did not spawn on the obsidian although it was the only three wide path to the depot.

So the spawn locations are not only predestined in x and y but also in z coordinates. What I found remarkable recently is that caravans also can leave through the caves.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What to do with a long bridge to nowhere:

1) Stake a goat at the far end.

2) Wait for a goblin trading caravanseige to arrive and rush out to the far end of the bridge.

3) Deconstruct the near end of the bridge.

4) Sit on beach drinking wild strawberry daiquiris, laughing at the goblins trapped on the bridge.

5) Wait for them to slowly and agonizingly starve to death.

6) Rebuild near end of bridge.

7) Collect goblinite.

8) Put out a new goat. They never learn.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

5) Wait for them to slowly and agonizingly starve to death.

[NO_DRINK][NO_EAT]

It'll be a long wait.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Invaders don't starve.  Pelt them with crossbow bolts.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the way and the bridge must be 5 tiles wide to a "caravan pass". I remember building roads 3 tiles wide and no wagon access to the depot because of that. Maybe I will try this out.
Pages: [1] 2 3