Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Remedies for overgrazing?  (Read 6250 times)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remedies for overgrazing?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 05:23:17 pm »

And don't even think about keeping elephants; from what I've read they can't even eat fast enough to stay alive even with infinite grass. Which is actually quite hilarious.
Solution: make elephants carnivorous.
Like removing a broken screw with a nuke.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 05:45:38 pm »

Why are your pastures so small? Grazing animals need lots of room and lots of grass.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 06:29:38 pm »

I think I already mentioned it, but there's some sort of pasture utilization problem with large pastures. If I create a maximum size activity zone and make it a pasture, water buffalo and crap will sit around in one corner and starve even though the other 3/4ths of the pasture is green.

Guess I better make sure there's a bug filed on it....

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 06:51:24 pm »

You're probably better off using several small pastures, each with only three or four animals. That way they're not walking on each other's food.
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 07:05:38 pm »

And don't even think about keeping elephants; from what I've read they can't even eat fast enough to stay alive even with infinite grass. Which is actually quite hilarious.
If it works dont question it.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 07:30:28 pm »

1-2 per 10x10 should be fine as long as they eat less often than a cow. After looking at the image again, I'm counting 13 animals. Yeah, that's not likely to work even if they're all rabbits.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 01:42:49 am »

One of my .19 fortresses started with lots of grazing on a sandy portion that does not seem to grow back even years later after being grazed (or walked) down to sand.  Farm plots constructed on this portion of the map will not grow anything at all.  The forested portion of that map will support farm plots, and also grows back the vegetation.  Unfortunately, I have little forested area on that map.  I am guessing that world generation puts grass on places where growth of plants is not supported, and therefore neither is regrowth of the original grass.  Either that, or it is a part of the general bugginess of grass regrowth as already reported elsewhere.

Thanks for all the comments about increasing the pasture size and decreasing herd size/size of critters allowed to graze, I'll do that, as well as carving out some underground grazing areas.

My real concern was that the grass in the areas I'd grazed the critters wasn't (at all or just barely-barely) growing back, even more than a year later.  I'd only grazed the herd on mountainous grass, as that area never had shrubs or trees and looked like perfect pastureland to me... then once I saw that the grass was dead where the herd had been, I wasn't about to risk destroying my 'productive' shrubland with its potential for eventual tree regrowth as well.  Knowing that more fertile areas will regrow lets me feel safe to test pastures further!

For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 05:35:17 am »

Oh it works perfectly. Technically.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 05:40:17 pm »

Oh it works perfectly. Technically.
Hey, it got the screw out. That's all that matters.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 [2]