Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 53

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia - The treasure awaits! [Game over!]  (Read 112540 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia - The Hall of the Gold Dragon King [Day 1]
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2011, 11:40:22 pm »

This is on? Awesome!

@Atdh: not at all. Why should it?

Tyberix: Would you rather try to protect confirmed town or would you try to confirm scum by investigation, if you had the choice?
SaintDraze: How do you think would items affect gameplay?
JTF: Do you think Org would pose a problem? Never been in a game with him so... <_<
Book: Do you ... have a magic book in your inventory? (harharhar :P )
Akhier: What makes you think a vote during RVS is suspicious?
Org isn't a problem. Hes a pretty cool guy and yeah.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2011, 11:47:13 pm »

Akhier the Dragon hearted, any chance I could convince you to not format your posts with your own line breaks?

It's really hard to read on my phone (as I usually do) because each of your lines is one and a half screen widths. If you want to display your own posts at that width, you can always change the width of the browser itself. The text will change with it.

Now that's odd- wrong quote, right text. What happened there?
... um. I'm not sure. Most likely a copy paste error. (I write my posts in Notepad++ and copy the quote headers separately from the quotes so I can break them apart). Oops.

Hopefully the intention was obvious, but if not, that response was directed at you Akhier.

Now questions:

Supercharazad, what do you think we should do with lurkers?

Org, how do you feel about lynching useless people?
Why did you ask these questions, particularly of these people?

In all honesty MY strategy was vote for the first person to vote. Of course you response is enough to make me feel validated.
This seems like a strange strategy to take. Why?

I have an idea while I would also like your response to, but I want to see your reasoning first.

Org isn't a problem. Hes a pretty cool guy and yeah.
OOC: Why did the post that showed up in my email have slightly different wording? I'm really just curious, I've seen it happen a few times before, but I've never quite managed to figure out how it happens.

Tyberix, I haven't played with you before or watched a game you've been in, so two questions for you:
- What lesson did you learn from Beginner's Mafia XX? What about Beginner's Mafia XXI?
- If you could choose between an item that grants you a night kill and one that grants you a protection, which would you choose? Why?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2011, 11:51:34 pm »

I did a ninja edit. I just tagged on the last sentence.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2011, 12:06:23 am »

Ok IronyOwl, what blame Do you think is due to
Supercharazad then?
You were the one who said I was assigning blame to him. When asked, you said that mentioning him with uselessness implied that he was useless. When pressed on that, you changed your story and said it was my "blame where blame was due" quote that implied I was accusing him.

The problem? Blame where blame is due not only came after quick to blame, it relies on it- by your own admission, the fact that I asked him about it isn't relevant (which is of course a retcon), which leaves only circular reasoning or lies. Which is it?

Supercharazad, what do you think we should do with lurkers?

Org, how do you feel about lynching useless people?
Why did you ask these questions, particularly of these people?
Felt like asking reasonably meta questions for some reason, and I suspected it might come up later this game. I asked it of Super because I felt like poking Super.

Org's question was somewhat less coincidental; I was curious what he'd say about the topic, given his obvious... involvement in it previously.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2011, 12:13:35 am »

JanusTwoface, because of your phone thing I will for This mafia game not format my text. My strategy is something I will at times use for a number of reason. The first is that it is a way of starting off my voting that is out of my control so I do not have a bias and is thus more random. The second is that I will be able to start arguing right off with it because a person who immediately pops in and votes is likely to be watching the thread and thus active at the time. Finally and most importantly by having an actual in game reason allows me to get better reactions from people then if I just randomly picked someone. The reaction I have gotten from IronyOwl completely makes using it worth it. Lets dissect Irony's response and see what I learned.
   IronyOwl, quick to blame someone aren't you?
I am quick to assign blame where blame is due, yes. Do you take offense at calling people out for lurking or being useless?
   Notice that in IronyOwl's first sentence he admits he already has something against Supercharazad. This could mean a number of things including the fact that he is unlikely to be scumpartners with Supercharazad and just voting him right off to look like they are not. Also the placement of the "yes" is indicative of Irony reassuring himself over his blaming Super this game so it is probably a reason from out of game, this could be something like how Super has acted in past mafia games. Of course the placement could have just been how Irony types but by checking Irony's other posts so far it appears not. Next he attacks me by asking a question about how I react before I have done any such thing. This could mean a number of things but mostly because of how Irony has responded I think it was just more of a reaction and not rooted in something else and that is what I have so far without some other information
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2011, 12:13:58 am »

IronyOwl, I asked "what blame Do you think is due", as in:
I am quick to assign blame where blame is due, yes. Do you take offense at calling people out for lurking or being useless?
You blame Supercharazad for something and I want to know what.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2011, 12:19:41 am »

Endless spaghetti text...

Oh gods no! That's even worse! Use some line breaks once in a while, dood. Break paragraphs and stuff. A big ugly block of text is even uglier than your wormy usual thing...

OOC: BTW, I have no problem with his quirky use of linebreaks in general. We are all allowed our little eccentricities, but yeah, not doing it would be a nice courtesy for those on a phone. But do break your paragrpahs, please. That's just a courtesy for those of us with eyes.
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2011, 12:23:02 am »

WHAT!?!?! Your using eyes to look at my text? Thats your problem, you need to read it with your qo!iob's!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2011, 12:40:05 am »

IronyOwl, I asked "what blame Do you think is due", as in:
You blame Supercharazad for something and I want to know what.
This was in response to:

IronyOwl, quick to blame someone aren't you?

This would also be your third story on why I blame Super.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2011, 12:40:57 am »

Hello Book, welcome to NetHack-ish Mafia!

--.----------
                 ...@........|
                 |..d.......<|
                 |...........|
                 |....@......|
                 -------------

Book the Rambler       St:18 Dx:18 Co:16 In:17 Wi:19 Ch:255
Dlvl:1  $:1 HP:10(10) Pw:2(2) AC:10 Xp:1/0 T:1

> /

Specify unknown object by cursor? [ynq]:  y

Please move the cursor to an unknown object.--More--

@       a human or elf (mysterious dude called Mr.Person)--More--

More info? [yn]: y

Mr.Person, please write your Encyclopaedia entry.

Ooh, flavour. Next time why not just say what you mean, instead of obfuscating with your flavour, Book?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2011, 12:44:46 am »

IronyOwl, I have just said the same thing in a multitude of different ways. Its like the books "Enders Game" and "Enders Shadow", I tell the same thing in different ways.

Zrk2, What he wanted was pretty obvious to anyone who plays a number of Roguelikes and was quite amusing. Why are you so against harmless flavor?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2011, 12:46:35 am »

Answers first, questions in next post.

JanusTwoface, I do not really know much about you, tell us something about your play style.
As a quick summary, I can usually talk myself out of troublesome situations, tend to actually express my doubts (particularly in the early game), and really don't like lurkers.

That being said, if you really want to know, read a previous game I was in or ask someone else. People usually don't know their own meta as well as they think they do.

JTF: Do you think Org would pose a problem? Never been in a game with him so... <_<
Probably. But one can hope. Yelling at him / ignoring him / asking nicely doesn't seem to work, so I'm running out of options.

Janus, will we have to go down the road of voting each other and doing absolutely nothing, I sure hope not.
... Um. Why are you starting it if you don't want to do it? Particularly when you all you've done thus far is vote me for past interactions and had an off topic / punny conversation about cold iron.

In direct answer to your question statement: no. I really don't want to go through the normal crap with you. It's not worth it.

Awesome. Unvote.
Nothing else for now.

Nice buddying.

IronyOwl, I have just said the same thing in a multitude of different ways. Its like the books "Enders Game" and "Enders Shadow", I tell the same thing in different ways.

Zrk2, What he wanted was pretty obvious to anyone who plays a number of Roguelikes and was quite amusing. Why are you so against harmless flavor?

Because I haven't and so it makes little sense. I feel that in mafia one should always do their best to be clear, the only people that benefit from unnecessary confusion are scum.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2011, 12:47:09 am »

...That isn't buddying.
Herp derp derp.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2011, 12:49:47 am »

JanusTwoface, because of your phone thing I will for This mafia game not format my text.
Thank you. :)

My strategy is something I will at times use for a number of reason. The first is that it is a way of starting off my voting that is out of my control so I do not have a bias and is thus more random. The second is that I will be able to start arguing right off with it because a person who immediately pops in and votes is likely to be watching the thread and thus active at the time. Finally and most importantly by having an actual in game reason allows me to get better reactions from people then if I just randomly picked someone.
This is actually a pretty good point.

Allow me to suggest an alternative: You are scum and you know that you have to random vote someone to fulfil the status quo. To make matters easier, you go (either conciously or subconciously) for the first name see, in this case IronyOwl. You may say it's farfetched, but I have seen it (and done it) before.

What do you say to that?

The reaction I have gotten from IronyOwl completely makes using it worth it. Lets dissect Irony's response and see what I learned.
I've been watching the interplay between the two of you and I think the two of you aren't entirely on the same page.

For the most part I agree with IronyOwl in that you are the first to mention blame and the first to associate the blame with Supercharazad specifically.

IronyOwl's post saying that "I am quick to assign blame where blame is due, yes." is a little strange, but I immediately went to Org rather than Supercharazad. That might be my own past experience though, I've been in many games with Org and none with Supercharazad.

I think that both of you are attaching too much emphasis to the argument though. It's a suspicious point, but not *that* suspicious.

This would also be your third story on why I blame Super.
Wait... do you blame him or don't you?

Also, when you said "I am quick to assign blame where blame is due, yes." was that implying that you were assigning blame in that first post or was that supposed to be a more general comment?

(Pardon if you already answered either and I missed it)

Ooh, flavour. Next time why not just say what you mean, instead of obfuscating with your flavour, Book?
Did it actually distract you?

For future reference, IronyOwl has a good point. That's a decent scumtell even amongst the most experience players. It's hard to lie. If you keep pressure on someone the story gets more complex and there's more chance for things to break.

Granted, the same problem can crop up for town as well (my play in Day 1 of the current Paranormal is an example), but it's worse when actually lying.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2011, 12:55:50 am »

Did it actually distract you?

It was annoying, and hard to tell anything about and so didn't show anything about his goals, leaving us with less information about him.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 53