Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Confessions of a DF player.  (Read 13154 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions of a DF player.
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2011, 10:04:34 am »

Why is hiding cheating?

It's of a nature with throwing all your dirty clothes behind the bed and calling the room clean.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2011, 10:17:29 am »

Why is hiding cheating?

It's of a nature with throwing all your dirty clothes behind the bed and calling the room clean.

You mean I haven't actually been cleaning my room all these years?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2011, 10:45:03 am »

I have a confession to make..

I savescum, often, when some dorf gets a strange mood and I dont have what he wants, I savescum.
When those ambushers gets inside my fortress before I can manage to pull the lever to that bridge, I savescum.
When a noble sends that hammerer to do his job, I savescum.

Yes, I am a dirty savescummer, and proud of it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:25:07 am by Ultimuh »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2011, 11:05:10 am »

I admit to this also, especially with my slow-to-build tower forts and titan zoo.  save-scumming has become second nature.

lt2p

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2011, 04:32:51 pm »

I confess that I have never deliberately killed a cat. I seem to lose enough to ambushes/sieges/wildlife/danger room so that I have never had a catsplosion.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2011, 07:18:11 pm »

I-I mus-st c-confess...  :(

In all that ~5 months of playing... Tons of fortresses cluttering the worlds... A-And I never found magma.
I fear digging deep.
I fear finding whats there.
I-I fear... THE DEEP!

In all t-that time of playing... I only reached a cave only one time... and then some minutes later, I abandoned that fort...

I'M DEEPNOFOBIC! I FEAR DIGGING DEEP!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2011, 07:28:46 pm »

I-I mus-st c-confess...  :(

In all that ~5 months of playing... Tons of fortresses cluttering the worlds... A-And I never found magma.
I fear digging deep.
I fear finding whats there.
I-I fear... THE DEEP!

In all t-that time of playing... I only reached a cave only one time... and then some minutes later, I abandoned that fort...

I'M DEEPNOFOBIC! I FEAR DIGGING DEEP!

If you want to find out what's down there, you can always start a fortress and immediately begin digging down. As long as your fort is young and tiny, you don't have anything to lose.

Besides, finding the magma sea doesn't necassarily mean unleashing the HFS. Just make sure you don't mine any adamantine.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2011, 07:35:25 pm »

Also I must confess too: I never made bronze, also I never found diamonds! Where are they? Damn cassiterite, show up! Also gabbro is not common. Kimberlite is rare, and diamonds are rare as diamonds!

Tirunus

• Bay Watcher
  • Something witty here
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2011, 07:58:26 pm »

My current fortress is a group cavern dwelling dwarf nazis who worship abun dondouluck who brought them to the cavern to their salvation (died from not drinking water when we had a beer shortage LIKE A TRUE DWARF!) and the only people in the cavern are the 7 embark dwarves and their children.
My personal text is in itself a attempt to be witty, making fun of the fact that peoples personal text usually are trying to make a witty one liner. Possibly a reference to the game or just a generally humorous. You may also find that this signature is not used to regurgitate someone else's joke in a attempt to immortalize that they felt but instead have just joined a crowd of people who are to hung onto past feeling, but is used to better explain the personal text.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2011, 08:41:16 pm »

I don't use raise-able drawbridges, and I only use retractable bridges for pit traps (in one fort I had a 10 x 10 x 10 tigerpit with at least two corpses on every tile. I pause the game and hit '.' to advance a frame at a time while I watch goblins fall in. I really like it when they hit the wall on the way down first).

Instead, I use double-doors linked to levers. Trolls can break them down, but as an anti-troll measure I have upright spikes on the tiles where the trolls will have to stand.

I build cave-in traps designed not to insta-crush invaders, but to blast them into my walls at high velocity.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2011, 09:03:41 pm »

I never get my water reactor, my pumps, and all high-level dwarfy engineering working. So, I never get magma.
I savescum when one of my very important dwarf die for stupid reason (like, he go outside for store wood and get killed by skeletal goat).

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2011, 09:14:06 pm »

• I have never broken into HFS.
  • I refuse to atomsmash anything whatsoever.  Although it's happened a few times by accident with hilarious results.
  • I refuse to destroy rocks.  I try to convert them all to blocks and neatly store them away.  I do allow myself one-tile stacking sometimes in order to quickly clear rubble out of a place in particular.
  • I have never maintained a long-standing fortress in an aquifer area.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2011, 11:59:11 pm »

I like embarking in the most desolate environments possible.

Absolutely!  I'm loving some 100% flat, frozen Rocky Wasteland after having only minimal success with 5 or so cave-on-glacier embarks.  Something about having a single hatch cover out in a forsaken land covering the wealthiest settlement in the world, just seems so dwarfy.

I'll roll again: I've never intentionally killed a dwarf that wasn't berserk or bed-ridden.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2011, 12:16:30 am »

I just killed 5000 snake men who were allied with my dwarves, because they all moved in under my fortress and were messing with my framerate.

I editted the raws to remove all their hearts and raised their body temperature 50 degrees above their scaly skin's combustion point while chanting "Kali-ma!"

Sadly, I forgot to edit the raws so they don't leave corpses.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:47:33 am by Duntada Man »
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2011, 12:53:21 am »

I just killed 5000 snake men who were allied with my dwarves, because they all moved in under my fortress and were messing with my framerate.

I editted the raws to remove all their hearts and raised their body temperature 50 degrees above their scaly skin's combustion point while chanting "Kali-ma!"

Sadly, I forgot to edit the raws so they don't leave corpses.

That is... the most metal way to kill something I've ever heard.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10