Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Confessions of a DF player.  (Read 13149 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions of a DF player.
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2011, 08:05:58 pm »

When elf caravans are attacked by gobbos, I send my military to help. Before the elves oh-so-unfortunately bite it and leave their goods all over the ground, conveniently placed for me to "recover".

Also, I sometimes don't horribly torture prisoners.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2011, 08:18:23 pm »

My traps are working pretty well, so far. I've killed around 10 turkeys and 2 rabbits, oddly enough. I didin't think that they'd come anywhere near my fortress...

Oh yeah, if anyone could make some recommendations, that would be ace.

http://img.ie/8827b.png
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2011, 10:09:20 pm »

For the longest time I was terrified of running out of drinks in the winter. For several forts I actually made every single bedroom have a well, with every 2nd z level being entirely plumbing.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2011, 11:10:33 pm »

After some Elven merchants decided they wouldn't trade with a savage, barbarous civilization such as mine - who keep their masterwork, exceptionally dyed socks in *gasp* wooden bins - I may have decided to raise the drawbridge under one of their packmules, sending it and two elven merchants flying comically into the tunnel network below. By some incredible stroke of luck, they landed down a disused staircase, blocked in by two trees that have grown underground since I dug out the passageway.

One is insane, the other went berserk about fifteen minutes ago. I bet they wish they had a little less regard for the sanctity of trees now.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2011, 12:31:45 am »

For the longest time I was terrified of running out of drinks in the winter. For several forts I actually made every single bedroom have a well, with every 2nd z level being entirely plumbing.

That's a big investment in time and energy but it does have a payoff, in that it could cut way down on contamination from FBs.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2011, 12:37:35 am »

For the longest time I was terrified of running out of drinks in the winter. For several forts I actually made every single bedroom have a well, with every 2nd z level being entirely plumbing. potential fort destroying flood deathtrap
fixed
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:00:39 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2011, 12:57:40 am »

For the longest time I was terrified of running out of drinks in the winter. For several forts I actually made every single bedroom have a well, with every 2nd z level being entirely plumbing. potential fort destroying flood deathtrap
fixed

naw. not if you do it right, and use the corner-seepage method to remove pressure. Also, you have to make sure you set it up to avoid being an entrance. Aquifer biomes are best for this, but I am fairly sure a floor grate underwater will stop things under it from bursting through. I know a closed hatch will.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2011, 07:36:29 am »

To be fair, the first several times I didn't do it exactly right. I flooded many a room learning how water pressure worked, and I was extremely surprised when goblins ambushed us from a well at least once.

By the time I figured out how to do it right, I became comfortable with making a !@#$ load of wine and ale.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:13:14 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2011, 08:11:36 am »

I... tend to focus on one aspect of my fort while leaving all other aspects horribly underdevelopped. One fort had a vast, prolific farming area and a militia consisting of around 20 hobos with sticks. Or the one time I had every military dwarf clad in steel, each with their own engraved rooms and tombs, while the rest of my dwarves had barely any food or drink and slept in the hospital.

I usually go with the 'quantity over quality' approach to trade goods. Sure, a masterwork platinum scepter encrusted with star sapphires is worth a lot... but a few bins of random stone junk is much easier to make, and will achieve the same effect. I just hate micromanaging my trade goods so Urist McGemsetter won't stick my valuable baubles on ropes and socks.

I love plump helmets. Most of my farms, when not producing pig tails or quarry bushes, will be making plump helmets. This often results in having hundreds and hundreds of plump helmets in my food stockpile, and my dwarves getting sick of dwarven wine. I hardly ever grow sweet pods, dimple cups and cave wheat, even for booze.

While I usually avoid trap gauntlets ( and almost never build cage traps ), I'm not above placing a few here and there to deter goblin thieves, and to potentially soften up invaders before my military descends (ascends? I mean, they're in a cave) upon them.

When I breach the cavern, I usually wall off the ground-accessable parts, but I leave the lakes alone. So while I'm safe from wandering trogs and crundles, Forgotten Beasts and other aquatic/amphibious creatures can still find their way into my fort. This ensures lots of Fun without the common annoyance of having to deal with interrupting cru-

Elth Mysterius, Forumite cancels Post: Interrupted by Crundle
x24
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2011, 09:01:18 am »

Elth Mysterius, Forumite cancels Post: Interrupted by Crundle
x24

Yeah that is actually usually why i block of my caverns. I get mighty sick of retarded cavern creatures interrupting all my hardly working dwarves.

On the other hand, ive had elk birds and crundles loose their shit and lay eggs in my nest boxes. That is hilarious.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2011, 09:08:06 am »

I've started taking a new habit of cavern safety.  Namely, dig under the cavern, forwards a bit, and then up, so that I have a tunnel that I've made and can control.  Then I add cage traps and a GCS setup, to capture FB!  If I need the cavern, I set a soldier or two at my tunnel's edge, steel clad soldier is enough to tackle a blind cave ogre with no training, and then let my workers out.  If I get combat reports or job interruptions, I send that soldier, or another one, to get slay the beast and run back.

Generally I only deal with caverns to get reliable water, easy stone, some GCS, and colorful wood.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2011, 09:30:53 am »

you might want to do that system backwards since building destroyers can't destroy floorhatches from below... unless you consider that cheating
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2011, 09:47:21 am »

It's mostly about ease of use.  It's easy to dig stairs up, but harder to build stairs down and wall them in (because we all know that dwarves dodge lethally).  It's dual-gated, with an above access tunnel that people go through, and this can be closed via gate.  Directly under this is the GCS cage, which we don't want civilians walking all over.  So, the trap can be primed and ready, and civilians can still do things in the caverns.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2011, 09:47:48 am »

I think quantum dumps, hiding, and atom smashers are all cheating, so half my fort is stone crafters making crafts that I sell off to the caravans at a heavy loss.

I also like nobles and think they make the game interesting.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2011, 09:49:42 am »

Why is hiding cheating?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10