Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Confessions of a DF player.  (Read 13164 times)

Malakai Makaisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions of a DF player.
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2011, 07:59:18 pm »

In over 6 months of playing I've only seen magma once. And that was an accident.

I also refuse to use cage traps as I see them as undwarflike.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2011, 09:05:06 pm »

Really? Because I only use cage traps because I don't want to waste precious metal on trap components.

That, and I can't decide between forms of shiny, sharp death.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2011, 09:10:22 pm »

I also refuse to use cage traps as I see them as undwarflike.

Well...

I like getting the announcement:
"Urist Mc.Funtime has organised a party at Hydra cage"
It seems pretty dwarfly to me.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2011, 05:36:36 pm »

EVERYTHING must be smooth, and all loose non-usefull stone cleared into the magma pit. No Exceptions.
im kinda nurotic...

Ace WArbringer cancles post DUMP ITEM..
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 12:34:41 am »

I gen worlds without goblins or kobolds.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 01:04:14 am »

I don't like it when migrants die....

Unless they are High Master Fish Dissectors.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 03:01:55 am »

i keep alot of animals -current fav is pigs, alot of them in a small area at once and a faily decent breed rate-
always set new migrants to wich ever industry im focusing on at the time. -i usualy get up to 40 farmers wh also make the booze and kill animals-

I always make a miners millita -assigning a specific weapon gets rid of the uniforms mismatch- because ive seen what a deft pick weilder can do, and it is awesomely gory. -also because even copper picks kill most things-

I always set up a cloths industry -usualy in support of glass and cooked meals ones but -shurgs- - because its easy to do.
infact my last 3 artifacts of personal dorfy use have been: 1 yak leather cloak, 1 tunic and 1 midnight blue loincloth with a shark on it.

migrants tend to end up with masonry enabled.

why? because i like building big shit. alot. -current mega project: volcano top fortress with above 30z levels of air farms if possible-

I realy like glass industry.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 07:05:21 pm »

I got so bored with my safe, leet-militia protected fort, that when a siege came, I unpaused the game and watched the Ricky Gervais show.  When the show ended,  I checked back in to find 12 of my most useful dwarves dead (a thief! message actually saved everyone else, I think).  I enjoyed the first downward red arrows in the crowd in  a decade, then felt guilty, then save scummed.  Now I feel guilty for save scumming, so I might repeat the experiment.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 11:03:59 pm »

I have never drafted a proper military, and prefer to create a trap gauntlet for when I finally get seiged. I also created an embark squad of 7 miners who show up with nothing except their picks, five plump helmets, and five miscellaneous drinks. I use them to dig out 5 z-levels or so, enough to get a proper fort started, and have them smooth out every room I'll need for the first two years of my actual embark. Then I have them abandon and I reclaim the fort with my "good" embark.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 11:18:54 pm »

I use magma for everything. Clean traps, transform enemy's into useful stuff(like melted copper) and transform refuses into nothing. I also smooth everything when I have the chance, and I do an air-tight sealed fortress. Less fun(except when a syndrome bearing megabeast appears in the caverns and infect half of my squad, who gets quarantined and give me a possibility of a tantrum spiral.) but I got this bad habit when I saw one of my full iron equipped squad get transformed in a tantrum spiral by a ambush of bow wielding goblins.

Also, i feel like danger rooms are cheating, but i use them. Same for cage traps.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:08 pm »

Oh yeah, and I test my gantlets by building a nest box somewhere and blocking the other entrance(s) so wild egg-layers are forced to traverse my traps. So far, three turkeys have been killed, and a fourth got its beak lopped off in the serrated disks, skipped my pressure-plate activated hatches leading to my spike traps, and got caught in my hall-o-cages. I figure she won't live long beakless, so I'm gonna chain her in front of the cage traps as a sentry for thief capture/slaughter.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:42 pm »

You guys are godlike....I uh, uhm. I make lead toys and ship them to the elves.  ;D

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 11:36:46 pm »

You guys are godlike....I uh, uhm. I make lead toys and ship them to the elves.  ;D

I can't possibly trade with them. Aside the fact that they are elves, even if I only offer raw gold they say I'm slaughtering trees and get mad at me.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2011, 11:43:53 pm »

I try to equip my military with specific dyed uniforms when I'm able. They will all where blue pigtail cloaks, trousers, shirts, and socks. I'd go with green, but blue I can get earlier.

They also all use swords. I hear they're worse than axes or spears - but I don't care. I like swords. and Highboots actually - I like to buy high boots.

Speaking of which, I never make cloth shoes - only leather shoes. Cloth shoes are like slippers, and no self-respecting dwarf would wear slippers every day.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

mszegedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2011, 12:39:29 am »

Every single room in my fortress has a lever that simultaneously opens a magma-bearing floodgate to the room and raises a drawbridge to seal it off. Furthermore, I have artificially increased the pressure of the magma so that it will always flash-flood, even if it's a major hallway. And I have this for every single room. I don't even bother to reclaim any rooms I flood; I have just built my ninth trading area.

Peccāvī.
Peccō.
Peccābō.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:48:12 am by mszegedy »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10