Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Confessions of a DF player.  (Read 13151 times)

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions of a DF player.
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 04:04:09 am »

Whenever I play any OTHER game that gives me the opportunity to play a dwarf, I name it some variation of "Urist".
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 04:06:05 am »

This is very similar to the "Because of Dwarf Fortress..." thread.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 04:20:08 am »

I... I never bothered to understand precisely how ramp works. Aside from "align 3 of them diagonally so the elf wagon can go under the magma reservoir", I don't use them at all and remove everything to avoid confusion.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 04:37:58 am »

giant golden phalii...
No way is phalii the correct form of that word. Just sayin'.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 04:46:36 am »

Reminds me of every Minecraft multiplayer server ever.

Also every single player world I've spent time on.  Man, maybe I should lay off the giant golden phalii...

If I really want to impress, I've make a lead womb instead.

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 04:53:30 am »

I confess, I haven't murdered an Elven caravan in 10 embarks. I don't set up forges till I've struck magma, but I have a thriving lumber, booze and stoneworks industry. If it were possible to desertify an embark, I'd have done so already.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

TheDistur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 04:55:05 am »

Also, cage traps. I am an addict.

I am guilty of this.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 05:02:36 am »

Phalluses, mefinks.

As for me, I'm really lazy with bedrooms. My dwarves sleep four to a room (3X3, smoothed and engraved, but still). They're like tiny, alcoholic, sociopathic Chinese people.

My nobles always get metal furniture because I like to think it hurts their arse.

I walled off the edges of a cavern once. Way too much hassle in the end...and undwarfy, so I'm not doing it again.

I quite often make it a point to drown/impale/otherwise execute useless migrants. Like those guys who only have "Novice Fish Dissector". Sometimes I turn one of them into a doctor...the others are bundled into a millitary squad and told to go stand in the spike room. More often than not, this leaves some orphans in my fort. Seriously, Urist McKiddo moved to my fort with his family, wondering what sort of adventures he'll go on. First thing he knows, mommy and daddy are skewered on metal spikes, and he's told he now lives in a room with three other big, sweaty dwarves that he's never met before. He lies awake at night, crying about how cruel life is, only to get a sock thrown at his head and told to shut up because Urist McMiner wants to sleep.

Corpses of invaders are left outside. Only limbs, teeth, horns and ivory (from trolls) are taken inside...to be turned into bolts and worthless crafts to sell to the elves. All this because making refuse stockpiles is too much of a habit.

I once left a minotaur sitting outside in a cage for five years because I was too much of a pussy to deal with it.

I'm too lazy to go to war with the elves.

And last but not least...I only sell crafts and cut gems.

Yeah...forgive me, forum, for I have sinned.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2011, 05:07:23 am »

80 z-level frontgate drop pit down to the 3rd cavern. well it's walled down there.
it took quite some effort to build, but all that worth it.
imagining invaders dropping a half minute before they crash!
a brief 5 km journey to the earth

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 05:07:38 am »

giant golden phalii...
Perhaps, but you still snickered a little and liked the wordplay.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 05:24:43 am »

giant golden phalii...
Perhaps, but you still snickered a little and liked the wordplay.
NO.

...maybe.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 07:43:02 am »

Seriously, Urist McKiddo moved to my fort with his family, wondering what sort of adventures he'll go on. First thing he knows, mommy and daddy are skewered on metal spikes, and he's told he now lives in a room with three other big, sweaty dwarves that he's never met before. He lies awake at night, crying about how cruel life is, only to get a sock thrown at his head and told to shut up because Urist McMiner wants to sleep.

That's horrid.  :'(
Leading to one of my confessions:
I'm not a homocidal babykiller.  :o

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 08:26:22 am »

I always, always make sure my little alcoholics have booze. Even if it means they starve. They must have booze.

And i fall in love with my useless migrants. They always end up in the military, and i always develop a soft spot for them.

Plus when in doubt i almost always equip them with picks. They are the single most dwarfy weapon that there is.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Jororked Forgefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 01:28:31 pm »

I must shape the mountain.......nice smooth curves....

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 07:44:57 pm »

The housing inspection is tomorrow and I haven't done the washing up, mopped the floors, cleaned the mildew off the bathroom ceiling or gone to bed and I'm due at work in less then eight hours. Dammit.
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10