Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: FantasyScape - The new Minecraft?  (Read 16117 times)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Re: FantasyScape - The new Minecraft?
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2011, 08:15:28 pm »

Screw the water.

What makes DF cool is a great damage system, now with tissues and materials. If we get THAT in minecraft, then we may talk.

I sort of actually dislike that system...  especially with many many players.  The lack of abstraction would just be incredibly confusing.  @_@

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2011, 08:23:53 pm »

I just thought, while technically less appealing, visually, it might be quicker if all the water was handled on a block by block basis. The scale of blocks should mean it will take two to be a corridor's height, so it would be like having 1/2 water, in a system similar to the 1/7 DF has.
It would be so much faster, seeing as currently it's a floating point number, which means it can be split into many, many fractions. I think as a minium, this water would be working on a 1/20 scale right now.
Of course, for extra points, he could always split it to 1/3 or 1/4 per block, seeing as they would then be 1/6 and 1/8 respectively in a corridor.

Also, Deon, as I said ealier, it's not the water on it's own that makes DF special, but, combine that with nifty mechanics, and you've got yourself a sweet building game!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2011, 08:28:15 pm »

Screw the water.

What makes DF cool is a great damage system, now with tissues and materials. If we get THAT in minecraft, then we may talk.

I sort of actually dislike that system...  especially with many many players.  The lack of abstraction would just be incredibly confusing.  @_@
We already have tons of shooters with HP system. I want a single complex game where you can chop off your friend's arm and blind him.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2011, 08:36:15 pm »

"I plan on having you get NPCs to help around, and when you die, you get to pick one of your NPCs to control and continue playing as. Basically, NPCs = Lives & Helpers around the fortress. Multiplayer and single player will play the same way."

Now there's a sexy idea. One of the things I dislike about Minecraft is how much solitude there is in the single player game. NPC's that don't want to kill you are a cool idea (although I believe Notch also has plans for that), but the idea of having random NPC's that cook, or craft, or guard, or whatever is neat. Especially if you can have a friend hop into an NPC if you want to give a tour of your embark.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2011, 08:46:22 pm »

I would like detailed combat. It doesn't need to be DF leveled details, but it should be close. As in, it should at least model damage to separate parts of the body, and be rather detailed with that too, so each major bone or group of bones has its one section, like hands and femur.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2011, 08:49:07 pm »

I have to admit, I've gotten the urge to dismember enemies in Minecraft kind of a lot.

Plus, a more nuanced damage system could allow for a wider range of severity. Right now all damage is either busting up your armor or requiring you to eat more. If it's also possible to get your arm broken or suffer bleeding, you could have injuries that need time or more specialized materials, without turning it into a "get injured and you're screwed" type situation.

Also, desperately trying to drag yourself out of a cavern before nightfall after breaking your leg. Yes.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2011, 09:36:33 pm »

Detailed combat would fail in a non-turn-based environment. In DF, you can spend a few minutes analyzing every minute injury that you've suffered, because the goblins will kindly wait until your next input before resuming Operation Dismemberment. In a realtime game, you don't have that luxury. While you're wondering whether that last attack fractured your target's upper arm, your opponent will be swinging wildly and handily killing you. Imagine if DF was realtime - you'd spam the standard "bump into the target" attack, and if you were victorious, you'd then worry about the awesome damage system.

Heck, even something as abstract as registering that "your arm has been injured!" would require the ability to aim at discrete limbs. Do you think you could choose a specific limb or body part to aim at? Without precision aiming, a complex damage system is nothing more than a difficult-to-understand hit point system - if you can't aim at specific regions, then you're gaining nothing but useless 'realism'.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2011, 09:43:30 pm »

Since it's first person, you could aim the attack using the crosshair, like, say, Die By The Sword, but in first person. Hell, that'd be a cool gameplay mechanic: instead of just clicking to attack/mine/dig/whatever, you actually have to move the mouse in a specific pattern to move the tool. Course, it could get finicky, but it'd be quite cool.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2011, 10:01:55 pm »

Screw the water.

We already have tons of shooters with HP system. I want a single complex game where you can chop off your friend's arm and blind him.

Only game I can think of that did anything serious about this that is the ancient Bushido Blade game.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2011, 10:03:31 pm »

I believe the studio that made "Amnesia the Dark Descent" used a system like that...  forgot the name of the game though.  You would pick up a chair and swing it by moving the mouse while holding down the buttons.  Ended up very...  flaily.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2011, 10:05:26 pm »

Penumbra also had that for doors and such, dont know about anything else.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2011, 10:10:10 pm »

Since it's first person, you could aim the attack using the crosshair, like, say, Die By The Sword, but in first person. Hell, that'd be a cool gameplay mechanic: instead of just clicking to attack/mine/dig/whatever, you actually have to move the mouse in a specific pattern to move the tool. Course, it could get finicky, but it'd be quite cool.

Finicky indeed. Next time you're playing Minecraft, try intentionally hitting the arm of a zombie. Now imagine that arm becoming bloodied, and you having to hit it again. While said zombie is ripping your face off. Trust me, there's a 99% chance it'd degenerate into "flail randomly at the target, pray you hit the same place repeatedly and deal lethal damage."  ;)

Making patterns would be even more ridiculous. Penumbra had something similar, and most people (at least, most people I've spoken with!) thought it was gimmicky and annoying at best. I've never had a game that could reliably read any pattern more complex than horizontal versus vertical flailing... just imagine the game struggling to interpret your egg-shaped circles while you're trying to mine through hundreds of stone blocks.  :o

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2011, 10:21:23 pm »

Combat would probably have to be made slower for it to be anywhere near playable at a strategic level higher than "flail randomly". At the moment its just too fast for anything resembling tactics to be useful.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2011, 10:53:08 pm »

the Minecraft map size is around 8 times the surface area of the earth.

This is just a lie. Just because someone defines a block as having a certain value doesn't mean that it actually has that value.

You can walk from one edge of the minecraft world to the other in a fraction of the time it would take to walk around the actual world.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2011, 11:55:33 pm »

the Minecraft map size is around 8 times the surface area of the earth.

This is just a lie. Just because someone defines a block as having a certain value doesn't mean that it actually has that value.

You can walk from one edge of the minecraft world to the other in a fraction of the time it would take to walk around the actual world.

1 block == 1 metre is the commonly-accepted metric. I'm fairly certain that Notch has, in fact, confirmed that value - and even if he hasn't, it's certainly very much in the reasonable range of values. A player is 2 blocks high, while average human height is ~1.7 m. Assuming 1 block == 1m3 is simultaneously logical and reasonable, even if it's not technically official.

Walking speed is a little harder to quantify. Having performed the absolute roughest of possible tests, I've concluded that Minecraft move speed is ~5 blocks per second. The actual value may be higher or lower by a block or two, but it's acceptable for back-of-the-envelope calculations. Wikipedia gives an average walking speed of ~1.5 m/s, but marathon runners often achieve ~5 m/s over, well, marathon distances. Hence, given a 1 block == 1 m conversion rate, Minecraft walking speed is perhaps slightly higher than average, but certainly not as much as you imply.

Now, boats could conceivably decrease this time... but of course, if we add in vehicles, we've got far more real-life options that are far faster than anything in Minecraft.

In short: no, the Minecraft world is huge, and by a relative assessment it's far, far, far larger than Earth. You can argue small inaccuracies here and there in the roughness of my calculations, but we're talking tiny quibbles versus multiple orders of magnitude in difference.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8