Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: My Daughter's Name For Dwarf Fortress  (Read 24399 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: My Daughter's Name For Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 08:31:12 am »

That's not considering their reproductive rate. That would'a spelled death for your fortress.

Urist McUrist has drowned in a sea of adorable fluffy-wuffy kittens.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 09:15:50 am »

My three year old son will happily sit on my lap and watch me play, but has lots of questions.

"Where are the goblins?"
  "What are the dwarves doing?"
  "Why do you have to kill all the kittens?"
  "What's eff-pee-ess?"
  "What's all that green stuff?"
  "Where are the goblins?"

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 09:22:28 am »

When my 11-year-old brother watches me play, he is constantly asking what everything is. I offered to teach him how to play once and he responded with a firm "Hell no."

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 09:22:47 am »

My mother always insists that its "Dwarf Castle" simply because she wants to annoy me.

Dwarves don't build castles! They dig them.
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 10:18:34 am »

My mom calls them "your midgets" or "your dwarfs" or even "your game with the silly midgets", depending of her mood.
While she's an adept of dumping the corpses in magma, she's not herself playing. Also, while I hint at many accidental animals deaths, I doubt she would be taking very well intentional cat killing*, so I voluntarily omit details.  :-X
It's not my fault there is no way to spay kittens in that game! I even ensure all parts will be used!

* Fortunately, she is dwarfy enough to recognize the genius of engineering various and cruel gobbo traps.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 10:22:02 am »

My sister usually calls it some insulting name... Can't remember any at the moment... (Yay for head injuries! ::))

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 10:22:56 am »

For no reason at all I draw your attention to this passage from my Nist Akath death toll report...

Tame animals that died

1 White-browed Gibbon      1 Gorilla   1 Giant Leopard      4 Bull      3 Cow      6 Mules      191 Donkeys
25 Donkey Foals      4 Horse      170 Cats      1057 Kittens         7 Dogs

Yes, but what if I hadn't killed every damn one of those? I'd have that many grown cats. At least.

It's like the SPCA... Leaving all those kittens out there to reproduce and starve is cruelty.  Please spay or slaughter your strays.

Fortunately enough, my mother doesn't really dismiss the game so much, although whenever I talk to her about it, she sometimes asks, "You can't put this on your resume.  Why can't you put this much time and thought into your education?"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

castun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 11:15:00 am »

It's like PETA... Leaving all those kittens out there to reproduce and starve is cruelty.  Please give us your cats so we can slaughter them.

Fixed for you.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 11:40:54 am »

Cute. I like how she implys you never do any work as your always playing 'goblin dot game'.

She was actually coming right out and saying it. :)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 11:42:23 am »

It's like PETA... Leaving all those kittens out there to reproduce and starve is cruelty.  Please give us your cats so we can slaughter them.

Fixed for you.

... I don't see how that's fixing it at all. 

Being as PETA is known for being sometimes obnoxiously against any animal cruelty even being against organizations like the SPCA's willingness to euthanize strays, trying to make a "joke" that PETA likes to kill animals is functionally no different from just randomly interjecting "I hate PETA!" into a conversation.  "I hate PETA" is't a joke.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 12:54:02 pm »

My wife calls it Midget Hideout. She also doesn't understand how I can play with dots for hours at a time.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »

My partner and i both love the game and have differing playstyles.  I babble to my room mate about Dwarf Fortress and she tells me about her Farmville farms. 

My partner's now six year old son used to call the walking trees in WoW Uh Oh Trees, and the rock elementals were Uh Oh Rocks.  I can only imagine what he would have called Forgotten Beasts.  Probably 'Oh fucking hell my military isn't ready! Beasts'
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 01:06:57 pm »

Fixed for you.

... I don't see how that's fixing it at all. 

Being as PETA is known for being sometimes obnoxiously against any animal cruelty even being against organizations like the SPCA's willingness to euthanize strays, trying to make a "joke" that PETA likes to kill animals is functionally no different from just randomly interjecting "I hate PETA!" into a conversation.  "I hate PETA" is't a joke.
To be fair, PETA has a history of causing completely unnecessary harm/death to animals, and not just by making animal rights groups all seem insane.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 01:08:46 pm »

My dad once called it "Dwarf whatever." :P
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 01:11:06 pm »

My family dosn't care much for DF.
Altough over half of them have really grown attatched to Minecraft.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13