Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Can't stop the signal.  (Read 3788 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Can't stop the signal.
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 05:32:48 pm »

The cosmology is simple really: IIRC It's a trinary star system with multiple planets and hundreds of moons.

BSG took place in a fairly close knit star cluster for the most part. Of course everything can be handwaved when they
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 12:38:08 am »

Well i don't think Alliance exists anymore, atleast it shouldn't after the whole system saw what they saw, so it's kind of pointless i think, they should just do what Futurama did, pretend they never got cancelled :D

1) It's explicitly said that the Alliance is not gone at the end of Serenity.  The Agent says something along the lines of "Your broadcast has weakened their [the Parliaments'] control, but it has not ended it."
2) You'd be amazed how even liberal democracies are able to take acts of shocking depravity in stride.  I imagine that Miranda would be like an earthquake shaking up Alliance politics, but by all indications, the government was on a very solid foundation and can survive even a massive scandal like that.

I'm willing to forget Serenity if they tell me to :)
Na, i think they should continue after Serenity, focus on raising cash for a army and do some raids on Alliance warehouses.

3) Why in the 'verse would they want to do that?  Mal and Zoe made peace with the alliance years ago and non of the others ever had an interest in fighting them in the first place.  Not to mention it's suicide without a payoff.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 02:24:40 am »

Yes but if you also listened to the end of serenity they were ready to fight the Alliance. They made they're peace when they realized they lost but now they got a reason to fight.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 09:11:48 am »

Yes but if you also listened to the end of serenity they were ready to fight the Alliance. They made they're peace when they realized they lost but now they got a reason to fight.
  :o

Unless this is your interpretation of the "storm is coming" talk, I don't see where you are getting it.  And it still doesn't make sense.  Mal wouldn't invite Inara back on board if he was planning on flying into a fight.  Zoe wouldn't go into that fight when she's possibly pregnant with Wash's child (as hinted at in the second to last tv episode.)  Jayne was never interested in that fight.  Kaylee and Simon wouldn't go anywhere near it.  River doesn't find trouble, trouble finds her.  None of the characters at the end are gearing up for a ruckus and we haven't been told that a ruckus is happening.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2011, 09:26:38 am »

Not to mention, it breaks the genre logic. Firefly is the Old West in space. The Browncoat War was a necessary part of the backstory, because the American Civil War is an integral part of the backstory to the Old West. You don't have Westerns where somebody is seriously trying to start a second Civil War (unless they're the bad guy). You might have somebody like Jesse James, that started off robbing banks to supply Confederate partisans (Quantrill's Raiders), but then just turned to straight out banditry.

If you follow the historical analogies, eventually the frontier worlds would get more civilized, and a guy like Mal might become the law enforcement or political representative for one of them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2011, 02:15:48 pm »

1) It's explicitly said that the Alliance is not gone at the end of Serenity.  The Agent says something along the lines of "Your broadcast has weakened their [the Parliaments'] control, but it has not ended it."

A more exact quote:
"Your broadwave about Miranda may have weakened their regime, but they are not gone, and they are not forgiving."

So while they probably aren't looking to start another war anytime soon, they've most definitely shot up pretty high on the Alliance's most wanted list. Thay'll be putting quite a bit of effort into finding them, that much is for sure.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2011, 03:05:46 pm »

In some ways their life will have gotten easier though, the big dent in the alliance propoganda machine would lead to protests on their home territory, with possibly riots, and stronger anti-government movements, meaning they have to focus more military resources on policing inner worlds. Meaning laxer controls of the outer worlds.

An interesting note, the whole miranda pacification thing sounds pretty similar to the idea of placing lithium in the water supply. Lithium promotes the growth of brain cells and neural connectivity, which leads to generally happier brighter more stable people, but some people have bad reactions to taking lithium, and it can cause shakes and some other smaller side effects in a lot of people. Of course some people feel the upside is worth the downside.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2011, 10:39:52 pm »

Why don't we just deliver the lithium via a pill so that the people with a negative reaction don't get it?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2011, 10:43:12 pm »

Why don't we just deliver the lithium via a pill so that the people with a negative reaction don't get it?
that didn't go well
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]