Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 288

Author Topic: CvRTD: End Of The Line  (Read 199405 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: CvRTD: Turn 146 (Shattered Mirrors, Dead Demons, Food and Rest)
« Reply #3945 on: December 25, 2011, 09:09:47 pm »

Well, I'm quite fond of X Gear of the Y style stuff, so having the end result be a composite of several tables sounds nice. This is only improved by conflicting results, by the way. :P

As for the actual effect, not sure. The most obvious would be that it costs mana to apply a temporary effect. Ideally the duration would be something simple like "until the end of combat" or "until you leave the room," but lasting X turns could work also. I'd also be interested in avoiding a mana cost, like by having as many bad effects as good, and a cooldown to prevent spamming until I got a good effect.

As for specifics, I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, I'd like it if there was a mix of combat and non-combat effects, with non-combat presumably being "you find more gold" and similar as often as "+1 to search rolls" and the like. Then again, I'd like interesting combat effects as well. Anyway, the issue being that the whole would probably be a bit less powerful if the two were combined, since the odds that my nice combat effects would get clogged by useless noncombat ones or vice versa would be pretty high. Less of an issue if there's a ton of bad effects as well, obviously.

The other thing I'd considered, which I suspect isn't a very good idea, is that it could act like a mobile jewelry vendor. Stuff a bag of gold (or something similarly valuable) in, get permanent randomly generated accessory. Trouble is, this would likely be less interesting (though you'd have to roll a lot less) and convince me to shovel all my gold in there in hopes of getting better and better items. Plus, the vast majority of the stuff I'd get would be permanent garbage I'd never use, presumably.

On a slightly different tangent, I suppose it could also work more like a Horadric Cube, in that I shovel components in there and get something randomly generated, but built out of and related in some way to the reagents. So for instance, if I put a bag of gold and demon hand in there, I might get a gold ring studded with demon claw cut into little "gems," which depending on the rolls might grant extra lightning damage to my attacks, protect me from lightning, increase speed, render me weak to holy damage, etc. Except ideally with more than one (or two, or three, for that matter) effects per item.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: December 26, 2011, 06:51:18 am »

The only thing I'm against is something that involves a lot of rolling. :P You're going to have to be limited to two tables deep. Not to say you can't have multiple tables... just don't stack them in such a manner that it would require three or more rolls. The Horadric Cube thing sounds interesting, and it would certainly mesh well with your Trophy Raider class evo, but I'm a lazy bastard so I'm 50% 'I doan wanna do that much work' and 50% 'that's a pretty cool idea, actually'. Finally, the mobile jewelry vendor probably wouldn't be that useful, no. Most jewels and stuff are used for trade items anyway, so it'd really only be a way of turning items you don't want into stuff you can trade, and, um... you can already trade items you don't want anyway. :P The only difference between a normal item and a trade item is that a trade item can't be used for anything other than, well, trading.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: December 26, 2011, 07:45:58 am »

The more I think about it, the more I like the Horadric Cube idea. Would the two-table limit apply to it as well, or only something I'd be spamming? (Not that I wouldn't use it at every opportunity, just that I could only amass components so fast)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: December 26, 2011, 07:53:27 am »

The thing with that is it depends on whether you want a set amount of generated results (which would be limited to tables) or if you wanted me to come up with something based on whatever you fed into it. The benefits for the first is that you could just put whatever into it and get something, the latter is that you could more carefully select items to try and get a desired result. For example, I can tell you right now that if you had that and you put in your Skelerang and Thunder Demon Hand, you'd end up with a single-use boomerang that deals 2d12x2 Lightning damage to all enemies.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: December 28, 2011, 05:29:04 pm »

Oh. Gifts....Hmmm. Oh. A Sentient Ball and Chain. Kinda like a Chomp from Mario. Yeah.....  8)
Raggle Fraggle

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: December 28, 2011, 05:32:07 pm »

With an Action Command that makes it eat the enemy! (No, seriously, I'll allow that: a ball and chain weapon you can use normally or spend some MP on to slightly power up.)

Who hasn't posted yet? ??? I keep getting the feeling I'm missing someone but I can't figure out who it is. :\

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: December 31, 2011, 11:14:55 am »

erm.. sorry but bump?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: December 31, 2011, 11:24:01 am »

No need to apologize, min vän. I need to bump my other RTD for V-Norrec and Draignean, too. Anyway, update today isn't very likely because Araph's tabletop game is starting fairly soon and I need to get ready for that. ^^^

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: December 31, 2011, 12:19:47 pm »

i see what you did there friend  :P
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: December 31, 2011, 12:25:04 pm »

I thought you might like that. :)

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: January 01, 2012, 09:23:15 pm »

"A eh..Intreguing tale Friar. I wish mine was oh so how errrm...Exciting. I am a simple man, no crusading or investigations for me. I was born on my fathers farm with my brother and sister and I want to protect them. Simple ya?" Biernat nods firmly before...
Moving up next to Greenmore on the stairs with his own shield to maximize coverage
Raggle Fraggle

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: January 04, 2012, 01:58:50 pm »

Both a bump and a notice that there will be a turn later today. I've spent the past few days sawing, splitting, hauling, and stacking heavy logs for my grandfather and I was too exhausted to muster up much creativity, but today is the last day of that (for awhile at least) so some time after I get back and rest up a bit I'll start work on a turn. :)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: January 04, 2012, 02:00:27 pm »

sawing, splitting, hauling, and stacking heavy logs
My average day last autumn.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: January 04, 2012, 02:01:17 pm »

:P It wasn't cold enough to warrant needing firewood until recently. I feel for ya though, dude. I've been having to do that every winter for the past seven or eight years; it was real bad during the ice storm awhile back...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: January 04, 2012, 02:03:15 pm »

Nah, 'twas cool.
Spoiler: Also dwarfy. (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 288