Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Forcing dwarfs to tear out their bones/skin  (Read 9835 times)

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forcing dwarfs to tear out their bones/skin
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:02:42 pm »

Since getting materials for armor/weapons seems to be a problem, why not make dwarfs tear out their bones/skin? They'll heal, it makes a renewable source of leather and bone, and it's a good way to level up doctors. Anyone know what modding would be needed?

And iirc, parts of sentient beings can be butchered, just not the whole bodies themselves. That's the source of gobbo bone bolts, if i'm not wrong.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Forcing dwarfs to tear out their bones/skin
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:04:27 pm »

Um... no, just no.  Dwarves are not necromancers.  They will not, under any changing in raws, remove their own skin or bones.  Get rabbits instead, free bones and leather...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:07:48 pm »

I must say, I still find myself impressed by the sheer callousness of some of the things players propose dwarves do every now and then. 

"Hey, I need more bones, why don't I just rip my own arm off, fashion my radius into a crossbow, and then wait for myself to regenerate another arm?"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 10:09:11 pm »

And iirc, parts of sentient beings can be butchered, just not the whole bodies themselves. That's the source of gobbo bone bolts, if i'm not wrong.

I don't know what to say about the first part, but this second part is definitely incorrect. Dwarves do not butcher parts of sentient creatures, at all.

The way to get goblin bones is to get goblin body parts detached from the goblin before it dies (chopping them to bits with axes, serrated disc weapon traps, 30z drop) and then allowing the goblin parts to decay. You won't get goblin skin/leather, ever, but you can eventually get goblin bones from goblin arms and legs. You will never, however, get your dwarves to butcher goblins (without modding the raws to change their willingness to butcher sentient creatures).
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:11:43 pm »

I don't know what to say about the first part, but this second part is definitely incorrect. Dwarves do not butcher parts of sentient creatures, at all.

The way to get goblin bones is to get goblin body parts detached from the goblin before it dies (chopping them to bits with axes, serrated disc weapon traps, 30z drop) and then allowing the goblin parts to decay. You won't get goblin skin/leather, ever, but you can eventually get goblin bones from goblin arms and legs. You will never, however, get your dwarves to butcher goblins (without modding the raws to change their willingness to butcher sentient creatures).
That's what I meant, I apologize if I was unclear.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:29:15 pm »

That's what I meant, I apologize if I was unclear.

Dwarves will never use dwarven parts to make anything, ever, unless it's a fell/macabre mood. It just can't happen otherwise, even through modding. You'll notice chopped dwarf bits will eventually make their way into the previous owner's tomb, not into a workshop.

Also, even with all the crazy things dwarves regularily do... self-mutilation? To make more bones and leather? Really?
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 10:31:06 pm »

Someone's never had a catsplosion before.   :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 10:41:59 pm »

Actually, [ETHICS_MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_ENTITY:ACCEPTABLE] and other important tokens, like EAT_SAME_ENTITY and similar, will allow dwarves to eat, tan, and make bone crafts, from other dwarves.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:30:50 am »

I think of myself as a pretty callous DF player, but this is past my limit.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:13:46 am »

tantrum spirals are inevitable.
LOSING IS FUN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 02:29:28 am »

So I hate to say it... and I mean REALLY HATE to say it... but...
[SHEARABLE_TISSUE_LAYER:<body part modifier like LENGTH>:<modifier level when ready>]
This was a new creature token added in .19
It theoretically makes skin shearable, allowing you to shave off a layer of skin that would eventually be re-shearable.  Theoretically, the same can be applied to bones.

I must now go vomit, as to purge myself for this vile enabling of necromancy.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 02:31:50 am »

You know what?  This is worse than the Mermaid Farming thread.  This is... look, Armok just vomited a little.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 02:33:33 am »

On the other hand, it's inspired me to make a necromancer mod.  You play as some sort of demon or something, and most living creatures have skin that can be sheared.  Very demonic, caged elves being harvested for their pale, delicious skin...

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 02:35:15 am »

May I suggest making use of the spouse conversion tags to allow your demons to marry "zombies"?

On topic, this thread makes me gleeful in all the wrong ways.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 02:40:00 am »

That WOULD allow for forced breeding of captured females, but I'm not sure if this works on livestock (and let's be fair, these ARE elves...) or if the spouse conversion works in fortress mode.  Never seen it applied, at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6