Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: officially tired of the fps death  (Read 3920 times)

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: officially tired of the fps death
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2011, 02:15:39 pm »

I dont mean to re-rail this thread but don't forget to make a static dorfwash, run DFCleanmap and turn off temperature.  Alot of people think contaminants are a huge source of lag, especially for old forts. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Hateweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 02:26:55 pm »

Sorry - didn't mean to re-open old threads on multi-threading a sim.  It is something I've worked with for a long time and it really facinates me.  It is hard to find communities of peeps that also want to talk about it.  I was on a team (Ensemble Studios) that spent a lot of time on this - the last iteration being Halo Wars.  And in the end - we weren't able the thread the sim in a way that consitantly brought the frame rate up for the game as whole.

It is a tough problem... and I love chewing on tough problems. :)

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2011, 08:07:42 pm »

I think a lot of cup cycles could be saved if instead updating and recalculating the path every step, the dwarves calculated one single path at the start of their trip,  and would stick to it untill they hit some kind of obstacle and only recalculated once a couple of steps go by with their next target square blocked.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 08:15:46 pm »

I think a lot of cup cycles could be saved if instead updating and recalculating the path every step, the dwarves calculated one single path at the start of their trip,  and would stick to it untill they hit some kind of obstacle and only recalculated once a couple of steps go by with their next target square blocked.

This is what they do already.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 10:40:44 pm »

Multi threading is terrible thing. And in DF... It is enough to say that adding multi threading to existing program will result in many, many, many new bugs.

Multithreading is a wonderful thing.   I use threads and fibers quite extensively in programs where the tasks do not cause a race condition or a deadlock.

if you know how to use them, they are one of the best ways of keeping a program responsive, especially with multiple cores.

Come to think of it, I am not sure I could even program without them anymore... And make any program with a decent user experience.

* can always tell the programs that do not use them.. The user interface locks up at every computation.

* no I am really not that good at programming it is just something everyone has to know how to do when they program anymore.... I am still backward enough I need to use the /CLR to get mine to compile as I don't know the new structures yet.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:47:07 pm by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10:40 am »

It is terrible to introduce into existing program, to make things clear.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2011, 03:47:42 am »

New CPUs aren't going to get better fruequency on a single core and this games keeps getting enhanced. You have to go multi-threaded, if you want or not.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]