Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The .19 Appreciation Thread  (Read 7075 times)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: The .19 Appreciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 06:12:45 pm »

I love the new pasture system. I can now keep my live stock out of my grand dining hall and leave them in the pits. And the eggs allow my deep diggers to suvive with next to now access to food.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 06:30:29 pm »

I'm enjoying ceramics, to an extent.  I think it needs a bit of polish, but it's in the raws, so I can generally make the things I need to make it to my liking.

I'm putting in all the metals for glazes... gold, cobaltite, pyrolucite, magnetite, etc.  most of the ores, including ones that have no purposes yet, are useful as glazes, and just need to be added in as such.

It's also problematic that you apparently use an entire ore stone to make a single pot's glaze, but you can mod in a crusher workshop and reaction to make bags of 10 mineral powder for use in glazes.

Glazing should also take some glass-able sand or possibly feldspars like microcline or orthoclase...

Basically, it's kind of rough, but shows plenty of promise.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 07:08:28 pm »

Eh, "grass fuses" don't appeal to me much, since I've long since figured out how to weaponize booze using a hall of booze-stockpile as the fuse. But enough of that negative talk!

Haven't actually played the new version yet, but I hear you don't need to use water to farm anymore? Now I might stop making slaughterhouse forts and actually try farming again. Plump helmets, here I come.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 07:30:03 pm »

Now I might stop making slaughterhouse forts and actually try farming again. Plump helmets, here I come.

Before you give up on regular animals, there's something to try as food:

Apparently, eggs are absurdly abundant as a resource.  Having just a couple ducks and chickens and taming some wild geese will get you some sort of ovary gattling gun battery that fires out eggs at insane rates of speed.  Apparently, they shoot out enough eggs for one or two dozen meals in one sitting, while slaughtering the poultry in the first place tends to only produce a couple meat.  That way, you can keep a fort running entirely on cooking eggs for food, and some other means of making booze, including possibly mead from honey, but would still need plants for most booze production, since honey production is unfortunatley very slow.

Hopefully, Toady will come back to some of these raws, and make them have more sensible balancing in the future.

Still, you can now try to run a "slaughter-free" fortress with animals as your food source.  Just be aware this may mean problems with having 50 free-range chickens that add to your pathfinding time.

Oh, right, and elk birds and vultures may charge your fortress to try to lay eggs in your next boxes.  Be sure to set up a shaft lined with cage traps on the way to your nest boxes, and you can catch some interesting wildlife. 

You can even dig out an underground area, let it get covered in grass, and keep your birds down there, where they are surrounded by cage traps in the only path to get access to them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 07:48:27 pm »

Now we just need heart attacks.  Eggs in high-choloesterol diet is the new fort killer!

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »

Now we just need heart attacks.  Eggs in high-choloesterol diet is the new fort killer!

Sorry for the off-topic post, but...

Ingested choloesterol only makes up about 2% of the choloesterol that your body uses.

In any case, I love pottery. I intend to mod it to be weaps.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 07:56:26 pm »

I just love the fact that chickens are some kind of clown-car animal that can lay a clutch of eggs that outmasses the chicken before it started laying eggs.  It's like one of those Looney Tunes episodes where the chicken sits on the nest, and all of a sudden rockets up under a mountain of eggs.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 08:34:53 pm »

Octochicken?

Westonian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 08:40:54 pm »

Still, you can now try to run a "slaughter-free" fortress with animals as your food source.  Just be aware this may mean problems with having 50 free-range chickens that add to your pathfinding time.

That sounds suspiciously elfy.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 08:43:04 pm »

Now I might stop making slaughterhouse forts and actually try farming again. Plump helmets, here I come.

Before you give up on regular animals, there's something to try as food:

Apparently, eggs are absurdly abundant as a resource.  Having just a couple ducks and chickens and taming some wild geese will get you some sort of ovary gattling gun battery that fires out eggs at insane rates of speed.  Apparently, they shoot out enough eggs for one or two dozen meals in one sitting, while slaughtering the poultry in the first place tends to only produce a couple meat.  That way, you can keep a fort running entirely on cooking eggs for food, and some other means of making booze, including possibly mead from honey, but would still need plants for most booze production, since honey production is unfortunatley very slow.

Hopefully, Toady will come back to some of these raws, and make them have more sensible balancing in the future.

Oh, right, and elk birds and vultures may charge your fortress to try to lay eggs in your next boxes.  Be sure to set up a shaft lined with cage traps on the way to your nest boxes, and you can catch some interesting wildlife. 

You can even dig out an underground area, let it get covered in grass, and keep your birds down there, where they are surrounded by cage traps in the only path to get access to them.

Egg-laying in general has been good for creating sentient egg-laying races like playable cave swallowmen. The dynamics of egg-laying civs are more flavorful and interesting than mammalian reproducers in my opinion.

Also, the grass going in underground layers MUST STAY. It's awesome to have that barren soil suddenly erupt with life. Although perhaps it should be fungus and moss rather than surface plants that grow there.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 08:46:16 pm »

Given that you get underground plants growing places after you breach the first cave layer, and underground trees when you breach the second one, it seems reasonable to get underground fungus "grass" before breaching either. fungus -> plants -> trees as you go deeper....

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »

* Cat Herding - You can actually herd cats onto a pasture!  Cats might be useful for once, to keep them near your food stockpiles so they protect them from vermin without wandering all over the place.  Just beware their hypnosis.

I have to admit that pretty well owns.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 09:02:25 pm »

I'm guessing animals can still detect thieves. Eliminating chained dogs, is the new, entrance hallway is a grassy grazing center.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 09:14:26 pm »

Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 09:36:00 pm »

I do enjoy how "alive" the caverns now seem with their own grasses.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6