Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: More Metals?  (Read 2583 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
More Metals?
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:25:18 am »

Well, the new version is overall awesome, but the scarcity of metal now is EXTREMELY severe.  I dug out an entire fortress across 9 z-levels and never got any metal until I hit the second cavern layer!  This is absolutely rediculous.

How does one mod the raws to force significantly more metal?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Metals?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:38:46 am »

I don't think it's completely possible. There's a FREQUENCY tag on each stone entry, but from what I remember that controls the relative likelyhood of appearance, not the absolute.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:41:28 am »

You could add a bunch of redundant iron stones, or whatever.

So instead of one magnetite, you'd have a magnetite in granite, or whatever, and a magnetite in some other place, like in limestone or something.

Just keep stacking them until you have reached your preferred frequency.

It should work in theory. 

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:42:00 am »

I'll give it a try.  =/

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 02:43:51 am »

In other words, find the raw for magnetite, copy it, and rename it MAGNETITE2 so that you should end up with identical stones appearing twice as often.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:06:39 am »

I had a similar but slightly better idea.   I modified hematite to yield 2 bars (I think) of iron, since it's the highest yielding iron ore for midieval and renaissance times, and added the other two iron ores Toady didn't.

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:HEMATITE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:hematite][DISPLAY_COLOR:4:7:0][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:IRON:200]
[SOLID_DENSITY:5100]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:8]
[IS_STONE]
[MELTING_POINT:12736]

[INORGANIC:SIDERITE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:siderite][DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:0][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SHALE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SANDSTONE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:CLUSTER_ONE:100]
[METAL_ORE:IRON:100]
[SOLID_DENSITY:4100]
[IS_STONE]

[INORGANIC:GOETHITE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:goethite][DISPLAY_COLOR:6:7:0][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:SOIL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:SOIL_OCEAN:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:SOIL_SAND:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALLUVIAL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[METAL_ORE:IRON:100]
[SOLID_DENSITY:3250]
[IS_STONE]
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:11:14 am by janglur »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 03:08:41 am »

Also, if you're feeling very cheaty, go for iron trees :D

papent

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESS_DESTROYER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:54 am »

I had a similar but slightly better idea.   I modified hematite to yield 2 bars (I think) of iron

not really you just changed the chance of iron to 200% instead of 100
Can't this deadly hallway instead be a kind of "zoo of flame", where everything is on fire?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:38:00 pm »

In other words, find the raw for magnetite, copy it, and rename it MAGNETITE2 so that you should end up with identical stones appearing twice as often.

why would you want more magnetite? I just embarked on (what seemed like) a 3 layers of magnetite :)
I think it's about 3x25x25 squares of magnetite, though it could be deeper 'cause I haven't dig any deeper yet.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 03:29:04 pm »

why not try alternatives to metal?

for example, bone armor is already in the game... and with bone weapons and improved bones (from my Monster Hunter mod)  you can live without it :)

*cough*link in my sig*cough*

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 03:46:54 pm »

Ah, shameless self advertisment, the modders spirt lives on!

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 07:32:49 pm »

Not a bad idea... though i'm not a fan of the critters included.

Maybe i'll play with adding some new stuff.  But, right now I found a map with a fair amount of limonite and some goethite patches.  It's hardly enough for my usual Heavenly Forges, but it's improved enough to get some metal weapons in my hands.  Only problem now has been all the jailings from mandates... jesus it's hard to play without tons of metal.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »

I am with Janglur on this. I just did approximately three dozen embarks on areas with "multiple" deep and shallow metals over the course of several hours and did not once see a single embark with more than one meaningful metal (iron, coal, gold/aluminum/platinum). It's getting pretty ridiculous. So, I'm going to endeavor to mod this.
I don't think it's completely possible. There's a FREQUENCY tag on each stone entry, but from what I remember that controls the relative likelyhood of appearance, not the absolute.
Is the underscored number here the frequency value?:
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100]

If so, do you know if it can go above 100?
You could add a bunch of redundant iron stones, or whatever.

So instead of one magnetite, you'd have a magnetite in granite, or whatever, and a magnetite in some other place, like in limestone or something.

Just keep stacking them until you have reached your preferred frequency.

It should work in theory.
Definitely going to have some of this. I assume you'll need to rename each one, though? Or can the engine handle having multiple magnetites?

Anyways, here's my goal: I want to ratchet the frequency of the various 'fluff' minerals way, way down -- these are really the largest offenders because the world gen obviously counts them as a metal (I saw one embark with multiple deep and shallow metals listed, but no metal at all, just junk), then add new lesser deposit versions of pretty much every metal ore with increased (200? 300?) frequency but only appearing in small clusters, not veins. Finally, I plan on making some metals appear in more types of rock. Coal is found frequently in metamorphic layers IRL, iron, specifically magnetite, has been found in pretty much every type of rock (albeit not in as large a quantity as found in sedimentary banded iron deposits), native copper and malachite should be present in sedimentary rock, etc.

The idea is to make minerals more frequent but appear in lower quantities. Right now, if you have access to a type of ore you have TONS of it; doubly so if that ore appears in clusters like magnetite does -- then you're practically drowning in it. (One embark had 36,000 magnetite according to DFprospector, and looking at the map in DFreveal showed it pretty much covering entire layers with magnetite.) However, if you don't have it, you have none at all and it isn't even worth looking for.

In the end while the current approach will work nicely once the caravan arc is done and you can actually import what you lack (as well as tweaks such as making mineral distribution far finer so you don't end up with entire continents that have the same minerals in all areas) but at the moment it simply leaves the game unplayable if you're trying to gen a .31.19 world.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 09:59:01 pm »

Please see my thread:   http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78392.0

It contains a mod which fixes some of the scarcity issues (and is growing, as I work on it, to offer more)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 10:24:10 pm »

Only problem now has been all the jailings from mandates... jesus it's hard to play without tons of metal.
I've been working on something (conceptualised in .18) where the metalworking limitations would have made it ridiculous to deal with mandates. So none of my nobles made mandates.

To switch off mandates you go into the entity file and debracket or delete the [MANDATE_MAX:<number>] tags. It's a sticking plaster over a gouting stump, but ehh, no more jailings because your duke wants something made of a metal that genuinely does not exist except in the raws.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2