Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More Metals?  (Read 2580 times)

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Metals?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 04:25:28 am »

I am with Janglur on this. I just did approximately three dozen embarks on areas with "multiple" deep and shallow metals over the course of several hours and did not once see a single embark with more than one meaningful metal (iron, coal, gold/aluminum/platinum).

I agree that the scarcity issue is a problem... however, I just started a map ... it had ADAMANTINE on the surface, and GOLD as a shallow metal. So far I've also hit Galena down deep. Those two shallow metals kept me pretty busy!

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 04:42:57 am »

Hah, now that's a world-gen and embark I'd like to have!

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 06:47:41 am »

Embark on a site with multiple metals and use DFHack's prospector utility to find out what you've got.

If they're all worthless, just go into the savegame raws and swap the data around... if you've got 12,000 sphalerite and no iron ore, just copy hematite's data over to sphalerite, for example. If you've got platinum, aluminum, gold and silver, and it's just too retardedly rich for your tastes, swap a couple of them to cassiterite or galena.

I have a very excellent completely flat embark point with a stream, volcano, flux, sand, clay, good wildlife (elks, camels, muskox), some trees, lots of shrubberies, most of the stone layers are pure marble or obsidian.... only problem was the only ores were sphalerite and native gold. Now I've changed them to hematite and galena, and I'm happy enough with that.

It IS fun to work around your embark points shortcomigns, but such an almost-perfect embark really cries out for me to build an enormous totally self-sufficient fort.

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 10:17:52 am »

Embark on a site with multiple metals and use DFHack's prospector utility to find out what you've got.
If they're all worthless, just go into the savegame raws and swap the data around...

I'm pretty new to DF .... so can you explain how to do this and what are the repercussions. I've already dug down into the earth and know I have GOLD, ADAMANTINE and GALENA. 

1. Does this only work with REPLACING metal in the raw, or can I just ADD MORE metals to the raw?
2. If I change the raw, will the metals change if I have already embarked in my game (I have a fortress I've been building for the last week), or will these new metals pop up if I dig new tunnels?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 11:06:58 am »

or will these new metals pop up if I dig new tunnels?
Most certainly not.
The entire world is generated with the specific metals that it has at worldgen.
You can't add new ones to the existing world and have it work.

just go into the savegame raws and swap the data around...
You can use DfWorldTinker to physically swap ores around (not just their raw tags).
It can also add new metals/ores, but they don't actually show up in the world.  (They can be used as products in reactions, but as I said, the ores available in the map are set before you ever get to embark.)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 01:26:33 pm »

I'm pretty new to DF .... so can you explain how to do this and what are the repercussions. I've already dug down into the earth and know I have GOLD, ADAMANTINE and GALENA. 

1. Does this only work with REPLACING metal in the raw, or can I just ADD MORE metals to the raw?
2. If I change the raw, will the metals change if I have already embarked in my game (I have a fortress I've been building for the last week), or will these new metals pop up if I dig new tunnels?

Okay, this only works with mass-replacing one type of ore with another ; all existing ore-veins in your fortress will change to another type of ore, but no new ones will pop up. Note that if you change Galena to Cassiterite, for instance, all your unmined galena ore will become cassiterite, but all your mined pieces of galena will stay galena, and all your bars of lead will stay bars of lead. DFWorldTinker might be a better solution but I'm unfamiliar with it, so I'll just tell you how I did it.

For an example, let's say you want to turn your Galena into Hematite. Go to your DF Folder/data/save/region1/raw/objects and find inorganic_stone_mineral.txt.  Open it up in notepad or wordpad or any other text editor. Find where it says [INORGANIC:HEMATITE] and copy the text block from below that line. Then find where it says [INORGANIC:GALENA], delete the text under it and paste in the text from Hematite. Voila, your Galena is now all Hematite.

Be careful doing this with anything other than metal ores, I can't guarantee it'll work (I had some trouble when turning my pitchblende pockets into lignite)
Pages: 1 [2]