Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90590 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2011, 08:09:43 am »

massive veins of platinum

Regardless of anything else, I think we can probably agree that this is problematic. Things like platinum and aluminum aren't exactly supposed to occur in high quantity.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2011, 08:11:29 am »

Metal scarcity is back? Yeah! :D

Finding metal is a challenge again. Prepare the mining shaft!

Not 'Yeah! :D'

It's more like 'FUCK! I'm screwed!'

Dahka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2011, 08:27:01 am »

I really liked this lack of metals, my first embark back on .16 was in a gabbro area totally devoid of metal but full of diamonds above ground. My first steel mail shirt was given to the militia commander and he never felt so powerful. After some embarks with metal the game became too easy and my fortress grew boring cause sieges and ambushes didnt really provided any challenge. Im in favor of having to adapt your fortress to suit the embark rather then adapt the embark to your fortress.

Edit: this post was full of spelling errors, Im ashamed. It might still have somes since im not a native speaker...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:50:14 am by Dahka »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2011, 08:28:16 am »

I really liked this lack of easy metals, my first embark back on .16 was in a gabbro area totally devoid of metal but full of diamonds obve ground. My first stell mail chirt was given to the militia comander and he never felt so powerful. After some embarks with metal the game became too easy and my fortress grew boring cause sieges and ambushes didnt really provided any challenge. Im in favor of having to adapt your fortress to suit the embark rather then adapt the embark to your fortress.

Yeah, but worlds now look like they've been stripped of 99.999999999999999999% of their metals.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2011, 08:35:41 am »

Brilliant change.

As a geologist it pleases me to not have the crazy metal concentrations (and mixtures) of before

As Armok it pleases me that it's no longer a rush to find and dig up the iron.  You make use of the metal available.  It will also make trading far more important.

*applause*

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2011, 08:39:10 am »

Brilliant change.

As a geologist it pleases me to not have the crazy metal concentrations (and mixtures) of before

As Armok it pleases me that it's no longer a rush to find and dig up the iron.  You make use of the metal available.  It will also make trading far more important.

*applause*

I am in the proccess of digging out an entire layer (and using the stone to build a huge aboveground castle), and I've only found isolated clumps of moss opal. And I'm almost done digging out the layer.

Not '*applause*'. It's more like 'Boo!'. I'm all for some realism (Especially when it comes to science fiction. Hard sci-fi FTW!), but there is something called the rule of fun.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2011, 08:47:48 am »

I preferred 40d's metal scarcity, not too much, not too little.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2011, 08:51:22 am »

I was all set to say "yay scarcity!" and then I noticed that my parents civs (all three choices) are all devoid of iron. As in I can't even bring any with me. Through the need to have some kind of anvil the game says  I can bring steel ones. I'm not holding my breath that the caravans will be able to bring any after embark (same as how they won't bring any of the cool 'tamed' animals you get on embark).

But seriously! No iron! For anyone! This is ridiculous.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2011, 08:56:01 am »

They may be using all of it to make steel.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2011, 08:56:37 am »

Yeah, there are definitely balance (and other) issues that have to be worked out here. Would be kind of silly for a dwarven civilization to never seek out iron... I think part of the problem here might be that the sites are still more or less randomly placed, whereas they should prefer settling on areas with resources they need.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2011, 09:00:53 am »

They may be using all of it to make steel.

you mean using all of it to make the one Anvil I embarked with?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2011, 09:03:06 am »

Probably, it could be absolutly HUGE  :D

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2011, 09:05:34 am »

Probably, it could be absolutly HUGE  :D

That's no moon!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2011, 09:18:35 am »

don't mind metal scarcity, but it should be possible to make armour and possibly weapons out of every metal, rather than the arbitrary restrictions now.  Gold armour would be heavy and useless, but if all your civilization has got is gold, then that is what you'd use.  And obsidian swords.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2011, 09:19:38 am »

I doubt you'd actually use gold for armor even if it's available. Something decent made out of leather and wood (or even just leather) would serve much better. Gold can't stand up to blows of any kind, and would be extremely cumbersome to wear, so there's just about no point unless you literally have nothing else, including leather or wood.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34