Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released  (Read 169699 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released
« Reply #405 on: February 19, 2011, 07:53:51 pm »

Pottery doesn't seem to be a moodable skill, is this a bug? I can't report it on the bugtracker since I can't long onto it for some reason.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #406 on: February 20, 2011, 12:21:18 am »

"Bilbo plucked up courage and put his little hand in Wiliam's enormous pocket"

When I read that line, I couldn't help but think you were trying to juxtapose POCKET with, say, something else Bilbo was putting his hands on..

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 20, 2011, 12:21:52 am »

black skin and white fur, as well as horns
shaved by goblins

At first I read white skin and black fur.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 20, 2011, 12:39:17 am »

I think I found the reason for the CTD-on-embark bug. After getting hit with it twice, I sent in an adventurer. When I stopped to sleep, I found that the magma sea had been spawned as a giant magma blob on the surface. There was much melting. And flaming buzzards.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2011, 01:48:35 am »

I'm more used to the Trolls from the Forgotten Realms world. Quick to regenerate, but weak to fire and acid.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Troll

The Trolls from Troll hunter looks WAY too large.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 20, 2011, 06:55:59 am »

Trolls in the Hobbit had no problem with using fire. I suggest to read books before making comments about them.
I suggest you use your head rather than rely on books. We use fire too, but we don't sit by fires all naked.

"Bilbo plucked up courage and put his little hand in Wiliam's enormous pocket"

I strongly suggest to read books before making comments about them.

Oh, please. I've read all the Tolkien books - from Hobbit to Silmarilion. That doesn't mean I take them as canon for everything fantasy related. In fact, most of the stuff Tolkien came up with does not make any sense. He was brilliant when it came to languages, but everything else makes me want to pluck troll hair.

Tolkien is not the only authority for fantasy, okay?

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 20, 2011, 07:32:18 am »

...Wait.  Was that the argument being made?  When did that happen?  :o
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 20, 2011, 08:07:13 am »

...Wait.  Was that the argument being made?  When did that happen?  :o

Someone said Tolkien had naked trolls and cast some aspersions on folks talking about trolls. Because Tolkien talked about trolls too.

Oh, come on, don't be fooled by Tolkien. Naked trolls? They'd freeze to death. All creatures living in temperate or colder areas have to have something to keep 'em warm. Dragons have fire...

BLAH BLAH TROLLING ABOUT TROLLS HA HA HA

...Tolkien the Lame.

Then because Tolkien didn't actually say that trolls fit this description at all, and you Kogut bothered to notice, you Kogut proved you were Kogut is brainwashed. Way to go, Kogut. You brought trolls the gift of fire AND taught them of their own nakedness. That's like TWO ORIGINAL SINS! You're like Prometheus the Eden Serpent or something. For Trolls. Or maybe Tolkien the Lame is, since that's how he wrote them.

Conclusion: Trolls with clothes and fire don't make any sense and we should resist Tolkien DoubleSatan's brainwashing and keep them naked in the cold knitting their own back-fur. Dumb trolls.

EDIT: Sorry Mazonas. It wasn't you keeping the trolls warm at night. I take it back.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:25:11 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 20, 2011, 08:52:27 am »

I'm glad Toady will throw a bone for the Megaproject players but will focus on his real objective.
Same, everyone will be better-off in the end, and quickly. :o)

As someone who participated in that thread, I think the heated language was just from players misunderstanding one another. Of course, Toady's little blurb here acknowledges he understands both what's good, what's bad, and the best way to fix it anyone can think of, so like always it's just upside from here on out!

FWIW, this release has been the most bug-free of all recent ones for me and despite having to learn a new way of playing the game in order to succeed -- when I usually pile on mod after mod to the vanilla game just so there's a chance of not succeeding! -- was a welcome change of pace. Kudos, Toad&Toe. :o)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 20, 2011, 09:19:51 am »

Without abundant metals, I find wealth does not accumulate as fast and to boot, it makes you think a lot more about defensive fort design.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 20, 2011, 09:43:17 am »

anybody know if/when will this version be released with phoebus or mayday graphics pack?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 20, 2011, 09:47:08 am »

Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 20, 2011, 10:23:12 am »

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:25:06 am by Askot Bokbondeler »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 20, 2011, 12:33:03 pm »

Without abundant metals, I find wealth does not accumulate as fast and to boot, it makes you think a lot more about defensive fort design.
Only if you avoid bees.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 20, 2011, 01:58:55 pm »

well its been awhile since i played and decided to lose myself in the newest version, and i have to say the lack of metals didn't bother me at first. I grew a thriving farming and food economy and supplement the majority of my military power through large amounts of trained war animals and equiping my best soldiers with the iron i found (no flux) and a few pieces of steel (inported flux). Unfortunatly this led to massive death about 6 years into my fort when i decided to pick up bees and my fortress wealth sky rocketed, which led to the spawning of a goblin siege and a Bronze collusus. I managed to out wait the siege and make it dissapear, but shortly afterwards the collusus appeared. I was doomed from the start, i never agreed with endless traps, and had not expected the collosus so soon. Much fun shortly insued, as my pathetic military and trained attack dogs were whole salely slaughtered to death.

Yes, in real life metals may be scarce and rare, in 850ad leather and iron/copper weapons may have been epic... in 850ad there werent bronze collosi, titans, ettins, GCS, or HFS, which we all know wooden/bronze/non-steel items have little effect on 90% of the time.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36