Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXI - Game Over: Be Ashamed. Be Very Ashamed.  (Read 56787 times)

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXI - Day 1: Ominous Words...
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2011, 06:57:40 pm »

SaintDraze: Well, this is first one with somebody experienced helping me out.

lordnincompoop: It is my first try to do it like that. While I don't have experience to play like that, I have some good basis how people act because of my GM-ing experience. And I have some basic psychological knowledge, it also helps. I would start some scumhunt right from the bat, but I'm too tired to do it today. How I played mafia... It was like this, but in amateur version. People started to spam heavily with flavor text (most of them don't care about other things >.>), I am picking some suspicious scumtell, and press. if I had choose good person to attack, I will get proofs of their guilty. If not, I will get proof of their innocence. It works often like that. And works.

Tyberix: No, absolutely not. I'm simply pointing that when you are in tense situation like this, you are sitting and analysing whole game, every corner, and try to bake some good theory with strong points. It's like playing on harder level, it's simply more fun. But I'm not suggesting to lose townies for such stupid thing. It may come anyway...

Okay, it's middle of the night, and I had sleep for 4 hours. Excuse me, but I'm tired as fuck.

SaintDraze.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2011, 07:00:48 pm »

How is it a scummy question, Jim?

He's voting around to cause Supercharazad to spaz out.

He's then asking you if you'd be willing to lynch him, without being sure that Supercharazad is scum.

He's expecting that you'd vote for Supercharazad based on him being a complete and utter spaz. It wouldn't be so bad if SaintDraze didn't admit that he was trying to cause this to happen.

SaintDraze.

Even for Fingers of Suspicions, you have to have a reason. So, what's yours?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2011, 07:02:57 pm »

Well, I had remade my mistake before, but I can't even think straght...

OK. Some homework for you, SaintDraze.

What do you think about roleclaims?

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
  • "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2011, 07:13:28 pm »

Because A spazzing noob usually ruins the day...and the days that follow if he isn't lynched...
I voted super because I wanted to see if he'd spazz out so I would kinda know what to expect...
as for asking that question, I already got a satisfactory answer...
and I Take it as a yes, If super does spazz LP's going to lynch vote him...
Unless of course someone roleclaims godfather...

Wait.... Oh shit, My bad then Book...
Annnd there goes most of my Mentionable reasons for how I scum pick people...
Shit...

Well I think false roleclaims just postpone the inevitable, True roleclaims have a tendancy to rush nights
and claiming scum is just hilariously stupid...

And jim, I don't want super to spazz, But testing super to see if he does spazz this early in the game will let me be more sure of what I am doing later in the game...

I myself see the beginning of d1 as info gathering and Then Finding scum is the main priorit for the rest of the game...
Draze McNoble Demands bacon flavored bacon...Made of bacon.

He puts an embargo on all waffle based goods

Tyberix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2011, 07:16:09 pm »

Tyberix - Do you enjoy Mafia? How active are you planning on being?

Mafia is probably only forum game thats equally enjoyable as it's RL counterpart. Sometimes it's even better since you probably don't know other's quirks and behavior very well, and guessing them is the best part of it ;p As for activeness it probably be better than previous BM's , i have most exams past me for now so !FREE TIME YAY!

How many times have you played scum? What have you learned from those games?

If we were to find ourselves in a LYLO/MYLO situation, how would you handle that?

Well i finished only one game,and there's BM XX going on so i don't have much experience, but i got few harsh lessons from them ;p
First of all, lurkers are a serious problem,and i mean SERIOUS, that's annoying as hell when you have nothing to say about certain person only because he doesn't post not because he plays good... Also claiming town and abusing exclamation marks is certain way to get lynched :P

LYLO/MYLO : There's the problem, i really have no fail-proof strategy on these but what i concluded is that if you don't have at least 1 pretty certain town identified, you lost. When you got some point of start you could get to looking for patterns in people attacks and seek reason behind them,and of course hope for scum mistake.

Painiac How would you choose doc target ,if you were one, on N1 ?

SaintDraze Don't you think that trying to get supercharazad framed for previous mistakes isn't bit of a scummy tunnel-vision ?

Goodnight/evening/day/morning everybody i'm going to sleep.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: [SIGN-UPS: FULL!] Beginner's Mafia XXI
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2011, 07:21:26 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
lordnincompoop - Akivara,
SaintDraze - Tyberix, lordnincompoop, Painiac,
Akivara -
Japa - Jim Groovester,
Tyberix -
supercharazad -
Painiac - SaintDraze,
Toaster -
Jim Groovester -

Not Voting - Japa, supercharazad, Toaster,

Day Ends Monday 9 PM Central.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2011, 07:23:28 pm »

.... ...

Do you have a broken period key? Because it seems like whenever you end a sentence, you get an ellipsis.

And jim, I don't want super to spazz, But testing super to see if he does spazz this early in the game will let me be more sure of what I am doing later in the game...

So, instead of hoping that Supercharazad doesn't spaz out and play better, you are instead voting him to see if it happens.

This is awfully fishy.

How are you going to be more sure of what you're doing later in the game if Supercharazad spazzes out? Why does anything he does have anything to do with you?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Akivara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2011, 07:29:19 pm »

And how are you planning on doing that? Do you know how to pressure? If so, why are you not doing it?

I'd rather not draw scum attention (that is, the attention of the scum) too much this early on.  But if you think I can do a better job pressuring, do you have any advice?

Anyway, I'm going to go read through what I missed and see what I can find.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2011, 07:37:01 pm »

Welcome everyone!

Jim pretty much stole my intro post, so let me just heartily endorse everything he said.

I'll add that when asking questions and reading the answers, you should not only look at the answer but how the person answered.  Did they get snippy over a simple question?  Are they covering for something?  Did they dither around and not give a straight answer?  More experienced players have learned not to give bad answers to questions- you need to look for questions being answered in a bad way.  Look at the motivations behind people's posts: see if you can find people trying to mislead you or steer you to a certain conclusion.

That said, let's get going!

[And brackets are me explaining my actions in IC mode.]

Tyberix:  If you were scum, what qualities would you want in your scum partner?

[The point of this is mostly to spur discussion, the best thing to go on in the early game.  The more people talk, the better it is for town.  A lurky and inactive town is the scum's best friend.  The question in particular just helps me see how he thinks- useful since I have yet to be in a game with him.  The person you vote at this stage doesn't really matter, but just saying you used random.org to select makes your question look much less serious.]

SaintDraze and Supercharazard:  Your questions are unrelated to the game, so they're worth less.  Also, Super:  Pie, if it's apple.

Lord:  The same as any game, except I'll be much more transparent with what I'm doing each post.  I'm curious to see how it will change, as my first BM game was without playing ICs- I started shortly after they switched.

Painiac:  Did you realize you voted two different people?

Lord:  Now how would Jim know if Japa is a cop?  IC gets no more information than a non-IC.

[I read over the posts since the one I last read (the beginning in this case) and addressed them as I saw ones to me or points that needed addressing.]

Anyway, if you have questions, ask away!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2011, 07:55:26 pm »

That's how I talk...Jim......................................

The way I see it, the game will go two ways, one way is that Super doesn't freak out and ruin the game for town
and the other is a downward spiral of stupid shit...If its going to happen eventually Then why not as soon as possible to see if Super has a cooldown timer for any later games I am in with him...
And It was just a Poke,because
I was Only gauging his reaction...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2011, 08:26:32 pm »

Your story contradicts itself in the same post.

You say you want to find out if Supercharazad is going to spaz out because he'll make the game utterly useless for some reason.

And then you say you were gauging his reaction.

Why are you changing your story up?

As a general piece of advice to everybody, stick to the same story. And tell the truth. If you do both of those then you shouldn't have to worry about too much under any questioning.

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:23 pm »

You say you want to find out if Supercharazad is going to spaz out because he'll make the game utterly useless for some reason.

And then you say you were gauging his reaction.

Why are you changing your story up?

I am sticking to The same story.... I was gauging if he might spazz out and ruin D1 Because of a simple vote and he didn't...
End of story...

Akivara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »

Unvote.
Suppose super will noob spazz later in this day, and trust me his noobness is a sight to behold, will you be willing to lynch him even if you are not entirely sure he is scum?

Because A spazzing noob usually ruins the day...and the days that follow if he isn't lynched...

I myself see the beginning of d1 as info gathering and Then Finding scum is the main priorit for the rest of the game...

SaintDraze, are you saying that it's better to lynch "a spazzing noob", based on their skill level rather than their scumminess, than scum on Day 1?  Is it because you're scum yourself, and you'd rather agitate someone that could be an easy lynch?

Akivara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2011, 08:57:00 pm »

Also, what do you mean by "spazz", exactly?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2011, 09:05:15 pm »

And how are you planning on doing that? Do you know how to pressure? If so, why are you not doing it?

I'd rather not draw scum attention (that is, the attention of the scum) too much this early on.  But if you think I can do a better job pressuring, do you have any advice?

Anyway, I'm going to go read through what I missed and see what I can find.

Why are you afraid of drawing the scum's attention?

[The reason I ask this is because townies need to be unafraid of death.  An important point some new players miss is that town and scum win as teams:  it doesn't matter if you are alive or dead.  If you get killed in the night, oh well- it (possibly) means the scum was afraid of you, meaning you were doing a good job.  A counter point to this is you shouldn't read too much into who got killed in the night when determining scum- the scum team might take the unexpected path to mislead you.]
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32