Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Star Command: Carriers at War - Turn 2: There Will Be Blood  (Read 8657 times)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Star Command: Carriers at War - Turn 2: There Will Be Blood
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:01:32 pm »

Background:
The Great Star Empire has shattered. After thirty years of peace and stability, severe economic recessions across the known systems have led many to declare independence. Largest of the usurping factions is the United Free Collective, pledging traitorous ideals and freedom to the people. the Emperor has made it clear in no small words that these rebels must not be allowed to spread, but it is quite evident that civil war is unavoidable. Brother now stands against brother, the opening strikes have already begun, we must stand to protect our Emperor and the majesty of the Empire!

Premise & Objective:

Basically each player takes the role of a Squadron commander that is part of a small Carrier Fleet. Players will be allowed to select from a number of fighter craft and assign them to their 12-man squadron. As they complete missions and patrols their pilots will gain experience and generally become better at killing stuff and not dying. Others who don't manage to kill, will be blown up by the enemy, so don't get too attached!

Rules:

Make up of a Roster
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Available Fighters

Pilot Levels and Advancement

Missions

Fatigue, Repair and Replacement

Ship Stats

Fighters

Capital Ships

Character Creation
I will accept 4 Squadrons for now.
Here's what you need to get started:

Commander Name:
Squadron Number: (34th, 119th etc...)
Background: (Optional, but adds character, might lead to squadron nickname. Don't tell me you're the most elite bad-ass unit in the fleet)
Roster: see Rules above for info

Current Squadron List
4/4

23rd

210th

242nd

1648th

Reserves:(Waiting List)
17th

19th
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:41:45 am by Knave »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Command: Carriers at War
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:54:51 pm »

Commander Name: Zergson
Squadron Number: 23rd
Background: The 23rd Squadron, commanded by veteran officer Zergson, recently lost half of its members. While before it was composed entirely of heavy fighters, three pairs of new ships have arrived along with the replacement pilots. Morale is low, but Zergson and his brother Fuzz will hold thing together, as they always have.
Spoiler: Roster (click to show/hide)

Is this good?

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:04:08 pm »

Commander Name: Zergson
Squadron Number: 23rd
Background: The 23rd Squadron, commanded by veteran officer Zergson, recently lost half of its members. While before it was composed entirely of heavy fighters, three pairs of new ships have arrived along with the replacement pilots. Morale is low, but Zergson and his brother Fuzz will hold thing together, as they always have.

Is this good?

Looks great! Welcome aboard!
One thing though, did you want Zerg flying in the Squadron? I don't see his name?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:18:28 pm »

Commander Name: "Blackjack" Bob
Squadron Number: 210th

Background: The 210th, also known as the the 21-zeroes are known to be hit or miss folks. Blackjack Bob is a known gambler in all things, the higher the stakes the better. He's won and lost several fortunes when on shore leave, and the men under him are known for being crazy as hell, irresponsible, and tough as nails under pressure. 

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:58:26 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:45:59 pm »

Commander Name: "Blackjack" Bob
Squadron Number: 210th

Background: The 210th, also known as the the 21-zeroes are known to be hit or miss folks. Blackjack Bob is a known gambler in all things, the higher the stakes the better. He's won and lost several fortunes when on shore leave, and the men under him are known for being crazy as hell, irresponsible, and tough as nails under pressure. 

Nice backstory! This is looking good for the most part, though I noticed a few fighters were not purchased in pairs of 2. Wingmen should fly together in the same fighter type :)

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:46:39 pm »

Commander Name: Drake
Squadron Number: 242nd
Background: Recently given a squadron, Drake has set out to prove himself worthy. Coming from a poor family, Drake has always had to fight for everything he's acquired. The 242nd is mainly comprised fresh pilots, all itching to prove themselves. Drake plans to use this to his advantage, making sure they give every ounce of fight they have to show what they're made of.
Roster:

edited Roster:

edit: The more experienced pilots are paired with the less experienced pilots.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:03:03 pm by DracoGriffin »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 08:48:26 pm »

Commander Name: Sounder
Squadron Number: 1648th

Background: Formerly the elite bomber corps of the Silicon Brotherhood, a small and shortlived splinter faction of technocrats that was crushed by the United Free Collective. They escaped the final destruction of the Brotherhood military and defected back to the empire, where they were accepted due to the fact they already had combat experience against the UFC. They are lead by Sounder, a legendary brotherhood pilot and politician. Through the means of his silver tounge Sounder was able to secure amnesty for surviving Brotherhood members willing to return to the folds of the Empire. The closest thing he and his fellow defectors revived to a punishment was an absurdly high squadron number...

Roster
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:32:24 pm by Weirdsound »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 08:56:21 pm »

Nice backstory! This is looking good for the most part, though I noticed a few fighters were not purchased in pairs of 2. Wingmen should fly together in the same fighter type :)

They were purchased in pairs, I just had the wingman fly different types... One moment.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:57:25 pm »

Commander Name: Sounder
Squadron Number: 1648th

Background: Formerly the elite bomber corps of the Silicon Brotherhood, a small and shortlived splinter faction of technocrats that was crushed by the United Free Collective. They escaped the final destruction of the Brotherhood military and defected back to the empire, where they were accepted due to the fact they already had combat experience against the UFC. They are lead by Sounder, a legendary brotherhood pilot and politician. Through the means of his silver tounge Sounder was able to secure amnesty for surviving Brotherhood members willing to return to the folds of the Empire. The closest thing he and his fellow defectors revived to a punishment was an absurdly high squadron number...

Roster

Commander Name: Drake
Squadron Number: 242nd
Background: Recently given a squadron, Drake has set out to prove himself worthy. Coming from a poor family, Drake has always had to fight for everything he's acquired. The 242nd is mainly comprised fresh pilots, all itching to prove themselves. Drake plans to use this to his advantage, making sure they give every ounce of fight they have to show what they're made of.
Roster:

Welcome aboard to the both of you!

As is the case with Draignean, your Squadrons suffer from Wingmen not having similar craft in even numbers.
Looking back on the rules, I didn't make it clear enough, so for that I apologize!  :-[

Here's my attempt to clarify it.
Purchase in groups of two. Example: 2 LF, 6 IN, 4 BM. Wingmen will fly the same type of Fightercraft on missions.

Squadron: 11th 'The Flying Examples'
1 (/)(V)(LF)(5)(R)
2 (/)(R)(LF)(1)(R)
3 (/)(V)(IN)(5)(R)
4 (/)(R)(IN)(1)(R)
5 (/)(R)(IN)(1)(R)
6 (/)(N)(IN)(0)(R)
7 (/)(R)(IN)(1)(R)
8 (/)(N)(IN)(0)(R)
9 (/)(R)(FB)(1)(R)
10 (/)(N)(FB)(0)(R)
11 (/)(R)(FB)(1)(R)
12 (/)(N)(FB)(0)(R)

Does that make sense?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 09:00:13 pm »

Commander Name: Shadow
Squadron Number: 17th Light Fighter Unit ( AKA - The Wolves )
Background: This squadron was formed to protect the bombers for several mission, but the thing is these ships are old very old light fighters and once the newer interceptors were made they were no longer needed instead this group of pilots are volunteers all fight to protect something making them fight harder than any others throwing their lives away to protect there loved ones.
Roster: see Rules above for info

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 09:05:05 pm »

Examples are always good, the new sheet helps alot. Amended my roster.
---

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 09:09:22 pm »

@Draignean - Okay, everything looks in order!

@Draco - Looks good, good idea keeping the rooks alive ;)

@adwarf - You're currently first on the waiting list. I'll be looking for opportunities to bring you in as reinforcements as the battle wears on. But I may have an alternative depending on how much more are interested in signing up!

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 09:45:02 pm »

Okay, while we wait for Weirdsound to edit his roster, let me post a Briefing!

You four are all Squadron Commanders in the 43th Strike Wing. The 43th Strike Wing has been assigned to the 7th Carrier Group, currently assigned to the Azure sector hunting for United Free Collective Forces. Commodore Dwyre has command of the Carrier Duke of Venus. One of the oldest in the Empire's fleet, it has a long and decorated history.

We've just received reports from High Command that a rival UFC carrier group has been spotted in the Virgo System nearby to our current location. Rebel presence in that system has disrupted our mining operations and we have reason to believe they will remain in system in an attempt to deny us access to further mineral resources. The 7th Carrier Group has been ordered to proceed to the Virgo system, find and either eliminate or drive off the enemy carrier assets.

Here is the assets for the 7th Carrier Group:
Duke of Venus - Carrier
- 43th Strike Wing
Revenge - Destroyer
Intrepid - Destroyer
Deimos - Frigate
Phobos - Frigate
Triton    - Frigate
Nereid - Frigate

EDIT: For those wanting to join / on the waiting list, would people like the idea of taking command of one of the frigates instead?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:45:29 pm by Knave »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 09:45:54 pm »

One thing though, did you want Zerg flying in the Squadron? I don't see his name?
Sorry, I thought that the Commander wouldn't actually be flying.
New Roster:

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 09:54:23 pm »

Sorry, I thought that the Commander wouldn't actually be flying.
New Roster:

ha ha, no, he's got to earn his stipend just like everyone else  8)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7