Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Rage post  (Read 1419 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
[SPOILERS] Rage post
« on: February 11, 2011, 08:41:59 pm »

BLOODY DEMONS!  I mine out one level of a candy vein.  And then I dig a down-stair.  It IMMEDIATELY opens into a hollow shaft some 30 z-levels high.  WHY?!  And of course, the bloody demons spawn RIGHT UNDERNEATH!  I was actually doing WELL for once.  It was the FIRST time I'd had any kinda candy industry.  NOT impressed.  What can I do to prevent my future hard work from being destroyed (before I'm ready for the fun)?!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] Rage post
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:48:52 pm »

Sadly the only method appears to be using DFHack, particularly a combination of DFReveal and DFFluids.  You go in, all the way down, then up one.  Find the hollow candy veins, and plug the bottom with obsidian.  I've done this blatantly, and many of the veins are hollow for 10+ levels, so if I'd ever dug into them I'd have tapped too far down.

One one hand, that's the risk.  Cotton candy is dangerous to toy with, because it's there keeping hell plugged.  Don't pop the cork unless you're ready.  On the other hand, if you don't mind the cheaty feeling, or you feel this is a bug of sorts, then plug away.  If you do this early, and restrict your view to the lowest levels, then by the time you actually dig down there, you'll have forgotten about what little you managed to see.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:52:36 pm »

I normally have 'air-locks' in the corridors surrounding the vein, mine a level and then remove all the candy before mining the rest. That way if I hit the HFS I can grab what I can and then seal the air-locks up with a cave-in or wall (long corridors and an availiable mason helps here too)
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:54:31 pm »

Yes, but the FPS damage is already there...

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:00:16 pm »

Again, create lots of cave in traps to protect yourself if you don't have the military for it. A single support holding up a floor tile will kill anything without punching massive holes in the map. Once the first wave of horrors are dead the rest are treated like wildlife and FPS goes back to ~normal.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 09:07:46 pm »

Not to mention, easier for your military to move in and slaughter them one by one as you furtively wall off hell.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:11:50 pm »

As soon as I discovered HFS, I went and assigned two walls to be built in my 1-tile corridor, but since the demons spawned right on top, and my masons were 200-300 steps away, they didn't get built before the demons came charging into my magma forges.  Oh well, I'm not against using dfhack.  I'm playing FD and more interested in learning to survive the above-ground threats.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:35:37 pm »

Honestly, if you want to have fun and not Fun, I suggest just plain not touching the stuff at all.  Blue stuff is absurdly unbalanced in almost every dimension of its existence.  It's ten times more valuable than almost everything in the game, and it is used for almost everything.  Its properties are functionally "Unobtanium", and generally, I just feel like I'm cheating any time I have it.

I just have more fun never even looking at the stuff.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 12:20:04 am »

Honestly, if you want to have fun and not Fun, I suggest just plain not touching the stuff at all.  Blue stuff is absurdly unbalanced in almost every dimension of its existence.  It's ten times more valuable than almost everything in the game, and it is used for almost everything.  Its properties are functionally "Unobtanium", and generally, I just feel like I'm cheating any time I have it.

I just have more fun never even looking at the stuff.

Yeah, same here.  I'd also shy away from danger rooms for the same reason, if it were possible to have a decent military without them due to the slow training times.  I prefer combat to traps (although I use both), so it's sort of a necessity.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 12:37:49 am »

if you dig around the vein you should be able to observe and pick on further strands outside any 3x3 closures or bigger. Once you have done with the easier ones, wall off your digger and have them carving fortification into the shaft before digging that tile out. This'd greatly increase their likelihood of survival. Retrieve the dug out candy and re-wall them again before continue work.

Do note that in .15 a full set of praise-the-miner armor can slow down an untrained dwarf by 50% and a legendary armor user by 10%
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:40:18 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 01:21:01 am »

Hmm...  I agree that it IS overpowered.  But I've never PERSONALLY used it in any game.  Either been too lazy to go for it, dug out a little and gotten messed up by the clowns, or gotten bored of the fort.

And rephikul, I'm actually still playing .11.  I'm too lazy to dig all the way down to the caverns yet.  :P

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 01:52:26 am »

Bastard, I need more people to bump the download count :D On a more serious note, I now understand how you managed to survive so long with your wall-in forts. The new mandate system would probably have killed the fort from inside by then.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 12:59:00 pm »

I love it for the added challenge--the value increase brings more than enough fun, and a tantruming militia member is waaay scarier with an adamantine battle axe. I do draw the line at having thirty blue elites guarding your fortress, because then you are guaranteed goblin immunity/f.p.s. death, unless you manage to cause an epic flood or something.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 01:40:02 pm »

If I ever bother to mess with this again I plan to set up one or more cave-in rooms with a single support beam preventing the cave in. The theory here being that when the building-destroying demons come along they destroy the only support holding up the ceiling. This should both seal off the passage and kill lots of demons. Not sure if this will kill off enough of them to avoid FPS problems though. Perhaps setting up a bunch of decoy buildings (like doors) to slow them down will cause more of them to pile into the cave-in room before the cave in occurs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 01:57:29 pm »

Make a line of lead doors, you should have a lot of useless lead anyways.  It should make them all rush to attack the door in front, then the next, then the next... until you have them all cornered in a nice cave-in trap.
Pages: [1] 2