Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Population to millatery ratios  (Read 3381 times)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Population to millatery ratios
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 07:26:23 am »

I just draft a ton of tigermen.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 07:37:48 am »

My last fort had 10 military and 111 total dwarfs,   I should have had more though.  I didnt lose the fort so much as got bored with it, but I can go back when I feel like it.  They were clad in full steel and fought off many sieges together, even a lashlord goblin.  They didnt even get a single scratch, danger room is amazing stuff.   I didnt check what the male/female ratio was for that fortress.

My current fort had 7/7 start off as female, currently 20 dwarfs and 6 are male, havent started any military yet, but have started production of bronze armor, have also found silver for hammers, and hematite, but gotta find some flux for steel.

I do generally like the idea of having many squads of 5 though,  possibly having multiple "guard towers"  where each squad can be posted arund the perimeter at key points with its own barracks/danger room and food/drink.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 08:55:20 am »

All my dwarves are both civilians, and military. Except my miners, woodcutters and hunters, because of the buggy dresscode for those professions.
Also, most female dwarves that give birth are removed from the military, unless they (and their spouses) have the 'doesn't care about anything anymore' trait.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 09:04:45 am »

100%

If I'm not under siege, my fortress shuts down in Opal so everybody can get in a good month of sparring. I do keep a standing army of about 1/4th of my population, so the civvies are rarely called upon unless a FB shows up in the depths.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 09:13:05 am »

i do tend to get alot of forgotten beasts shwoing up. the fact is, it would be wholesale more interesting if i had more hostiles show up on these later days, in the first year, i was constantly under attack from the local wildlife.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 09:21:15 am »

With my largest fort to date I had 4 squads of ten dwarves each (out of 200 dwarves). I scheduled them to alternate training (with danger rooms), defending the entrance outside (great sun exposure), and resting. I eventually abandoned the fort when fps went to shit.

The guard duty was actually kind've pointless btw. All ambushes were discovered by miscellaneous dwarves that were still gathering wood and crap from the previous mass ambushes and sieges.

I usually have 1-2 people in my military until I start getting slackers though. There is a lot of work in getting a fort running like I like it to. My next goal is to start minting coins in a fort.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 10:22:21 am »

Biggest ever was 30+, total pop just under 200. That was in 40d though, still working on the current one.

In 0.31.18 I seem to get a lot of female dwarves skilled in fighting migrating in. I try to keep mothers out for obvious reason, and it seems to stabilize at a 1:1 gender ratio due to the aforementioned migrants.

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 02:28:48 pm »

I go with 50/50, generally. If not more. Only takes a half dozen farmer/cook/butcher/fish people to super-fill my food stockpiles for a 100 dwarf fort, another half dozen to full dozen for metal working, and another dozen or so wood-workers, stone workers, bone carvers, etc for luxuries. The rest can go party in my 27 tile danger room. Which is great when you fit in 50 of them. Like Twister with spears.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 02:44:35 pm »

Out of a fort of 129 dwarves, 49 of them are full time career soldiers, and ~70 of them are reservists marksdwarves.
This equals to 39% full time soldiers.
                     54% reservists.
Together they add up to 93% of the fortress having a military role.

Keep in mind that this is a fort with defence mod installed.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 02:59:46 pm »

Everyone that I see is doing nothing, when I have 30 orders for just about every job lying around not being done becomes military.
So it is anywhere from 5 dwarves to 95 out of 200 dwarves.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 03:25:53 pm »

My forts need 60 dwarves to work as I like, consisting of these Dwarf Therapist profiles and 1 workshop of each skill for each dwarf :

3 Doctors
4 Cloth+Leather+Weaving+Tanner
9 Planter+Cook+Brewer+Butcher+Fish Cleaner
4 Glass+Jeweler
4 Mechanic
16 Metalworkers (one is usually a legendary miner since the fort began)
10 Masons (two are legendary engravers since the fort began)
10 Woodworker+Bone carver

All other dwarves ,including the king, get drafted into the military, get full legendaries thanks to a 1x1 danger room, and are then chucked outside to fight the numerous sieges from Fortress Defense.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:27:27 pm by tehc »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 03:28:03 pm »

With my largest fort to date I had 4 squads of ten dwarves each (out of 200 dwarves). I scheduled them to alternate training (with danger rooms), defending the entrance outside (great sun exposure), and resting. I eventually abandoned the fort when fps went to shit.

The guard duty was actually kind've pointless btw. All ambushes were discovered by miscellaneous dwarves that were still gathering wood and crap from the previous mass ambushes and sieges.

I usually have 1-2 people in my military until I start getting slackers though. There is a lot of work in getting a fort running like I like it to. My next goal is to start minting coins in a fort.

Yeah, I find that guard duty is often active, posting militia to areas of interest where civilians are likely to be exposed instead of just patrolling halls or map edges.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »

You have dedicated tanners and butchers?  I just make 4-5 butcher shops and 1-2 tanners, and give everyone except medics the butcher and tan jobs.  Idle dorfs go take care of the mess pretty quickly.  Same with masonry and carpentry, just use workshop profiles for the skilled ones, so the rest can spam construct walls and stuff.

Generally, any skill that doesn't impact quality, like milling, fish cleaning, and wood burning, gets put on the entire population, while quality skills like weaving, cooking, and metalworks, get specific dorfs.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2011, 05:18:34 pm »

You have dedicated tanners and butchers?  I just make 4-5 butcher shops and 1-2 tanners, and give everyone except medics the butcher and tan jobs.  Idle dorfs go take care of the mess pretty quickly.  Same with masonry and carpentry, just use workshop profiles for the skilled ones, so the rest can spam construct walls and stuff.

Generally, any skill that doesn't impact quality, like milling, fish cleaning, and wood burning, gets put on the entire population, while quality skills like weaving, cooking, and metalworks, get specific dorfs.

Skilled butchers do reduce the quantity of useless gibs created after the death of an animal, which increases food output and decreases the slots taken up in your refuse piles (a concern when stuff seems to take forever to rot into nothingness). But usually it's enough to track the two or three haulers you have enabled butchery on; just make sure that only a specific subset of your generalists are developing butcher skill.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 05:21:08 pm »

I always overdo my refuse piles, so I don't care very much, but if it affects the amount of usable goods, that matters a bit more.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5