Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 527636 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Lazarus Rising
« Reply #7965 on: July 09, 2013, 04:07:42 pm »

Pretty sure you can mod DF nowadays to give dwarves psychic powers. :P In fact I'm delegating that task to you, Taric. Go put in an eight hour shift on it and report back. >:3

Seriously though, she's just a small woman. No big deal. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: July 09, 2013, 08:17:28 pm »

Tiruin has been inducted.  Granted, the sheet for Tyrin still needs to be updated in light of the new changes, but there's time yet left for that. (When that sheet gets back o me, I'll update both James' and Dom's sheets for their shuffles and additions.)

PM has been sent.

Serious, Powder, you can send another PM or stand by your earlier message. Either one works because of the format you both used.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:02:50 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: July 09, 2013, 09:55:34 pm »

you mix my and my character's names up a lot :P I'll stand by it.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: July 09, 2013, 10:38:32 pm »

---

Dominique Wakeman

Dominique rolled over in her sleep, tugging another layer of sheets over her body as she snuggled herself deeper down into a warm cocoon. She was warm, nothing hurt, and everything seemed sleepily perfect.
   Something about that seemed vaguely wrong.
   The thought perturbed her sleep, wriggling around in her head until it irritated her enough to make her open her eyes. It was dark in the room, and all Dominique could make out was an artistic pattern of very faintly luminescent blue swirls that decorated the ceiling. She didn’t recognize it them. In fact, she didn’t remember getting into bed. The last thing she remembered was…
    Sleepy perfection flew out of Dominique’s mind as the memories of the recent past crashed back in. She sat up suddenly, realized she was naked, and pulled the sheets up to her chin. The blue swirls, responding to her upright posture, brightened considerably and changed to a warm white color.
   Thankfully, the lights did not reveal Taric or an Immortal leering at her from beside the bed. Instead, they revealed a large and mostly empty room. The floor was softly carpeted, but, apart from the carpet, the only other feature of the room was a pair of couches angled around a small wood table. It made for an odd bedroom.
   “Good day, Dominique Wakeman,” a disembodied feminine said suddenly.
    Dominique cursed and twisted to look for the speaker, tangled her legs in the sheets, and fell out of bed.
   “You have slept for 1.7 hours,” the voice continued pleasantly. “We hope you slept well. Lord Sizier wishes for you to be dressed and presentable as soon as possible. He has added a significant number of items to your wardrobe and to your armory.” There are three faint snicks as the voice speaks, and parts of the walls recess and slide away. “Lord Sizier asks to add a personal wish that you hurry,” the female voice adds apologetically. “He is waiting outside for you when you are ready. When you want me to retract the bed, please place your sheets on top of it and step away. Should you require anything else, my name is Emily.”
     Dominique got up shakily when the voice stopped speaking, still clutching the sheets about herself. Three areas of the wall had changed. One is quite clearly a wardrobe, which, considering her current nudity, seemed like a good idea to Dom. The second area where the wall had disappeared seemed to be made up of column upon column of broad horizontal shelves. The last one was directly across from Dominique, and it was a small washroom. From where she stood, Dominique was able to quite clearly see herself in the cubby’s floor to ceiling mirror. She was conspicuously clean, which meant someone, or something, had bathed her. Her hair had been done and re-cut to fall evenly. With dawning horror, Dominique looked at her hand and found that, somehow, she’d had her nails done in her sleep. Taric had a great deal to answer for.
    Dominique padded cautiously over to the wardrobe, rifling through it for something more decent to wear than a sheet. It was all very nice, and, surprisingly, it didn’t all scream soft-handed Technocrat. She grabbed a sturdy brown, black, and blue uniform with red trim on the neck and white trim across the right shoulder. Dom didn’t know what it meant, but it had the feel of rugged durability. She pulled it on as quickly as she could, simultaneously helped and hindered by the auto-fitting capabilities of the various garments. 
   On cue, Taric knocked on the door. “Are you dressed yet? I have my former CO to say goodbye to, a speech to give, and an empire to build. Some alacrity would be appreciated. Can I come in?”

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: July 09, 2013, 10:51:22 pm »

((O.O Damn, I got MUCH better after being NPC'd :P ))
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:13 pm »

((O.O Damn, I got MUCH better after being NPC'd :P ))

((How so?))
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: July 09, 2013, 10:54:32 pm »

((How so?))
((Not too sure actually. It does look like it though...))
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: July 09, 2013, 11:02:50 pm »

Dominique studied herself in the mirror. Lord Sizier now, is he? Well, whatever makes him happy... as long as he holds up his end of the deal, I suppose it doesn't matter. She prodded at her left eye. That black eye was basically permanent at this point, and those scars seemed more prominent than before. She sighed. I wonder who the fuck he had do all this... and whether it was for my benefit or his. Fucking perv... She didn't like either of the possibilities of who went to the trouble: Taric himself or one of his Immortals. After a moment to look over herself - specifically, the new haircut and the washing and things - she opened the wardrobe. The only uniform she saw that she liked was a blue one, so she put it on and added her standard black body armor over it, then buckled on the remaining shoulder pad - the other one had gotten destroyed sometime during all the fighting in the base.

"Computer, where's my Abassy?" she asked, rooting through the wardrobe some more, looking for her weaponry. Prick better not have lost it. I liked that thing. Before the AI answered, Taric himself knocked on the door and asked if he could come in. "Yeah, sure, I guess. Door's open," she said, trotting over to make sure it actually was.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: July 09, 2013, 11:20:40 pm »

"Computer, where's my Abassy?" she asked, rooting through the wardrobe some more, looking for her weaponry. Prick better not have lost it. I liked that thing. Before the AI answered, Taric himself knocked on the door and asked if he could come in. "Yeah, sure, I guess. Door's open," she said, trotting over to make sure it actually was.

The door slides open before you reach it, Taric stepping forward to frame himself in it. He seems to have undergone the exact same cleaning that you have, except you're willing to bet his was voluntary. He's not wearing armor anymore, instead sporting a blazingly white and silver dress suit. It looks like it would stain if you thought at it too hard. His missing eye is covered by a black patch, and he looks... happy isn't the right word. He looks satiated. He's also, oddly, alone and unarmed.
    "Good to see you awake. I think Tarran would have started chewing bullets if I'd kept him waiting with my immortals any longer than I already have. Enjoying your new accommodations?"
   You note that the female voice refuses to answer your question when you address it as 'computer'.

---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: July 09, 2013, 11:47:53 pm »

"I suppose so. I've only been awake for like two minutes, and we're going to talk about that later. Anyway, Taric, what's this AI's name? It won't tell me where my guns are." She looked at Taric for a moment. "Unless you told it not to respond to me or something and decided to be all paranoid." Dom crossed her arms, frowning at the strange man. "Well, anyway. Let's go talk to the captain. I hope he didn't fuck up the escape opportunity I tried to snag for him..."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: July 10, 2013, 12:04:32 am »

"I suppose so. I've only been awake for like two minutes, and we're going to talk about that later. Anyway, Taric, what's this AI's name? It won't tell me where my guns are." She looked at Taric for a moment. "Unless you told it not to respond to me or something and decided to be all paranoid." Dom crossed her arms, frowning at the strange man. "Well, anyway. Let's go talk to the captain. I hope he didn't fuck up the escape opportunity I tried to snag for him..."

Taric frowns. "Emily," he says, addressing no one in particular, "I believe I told you to introduce yourself to Dominique."
   The same pleasant female voice as before responds immediately. "I did. She may have not heard me while she was falling out of bed. If that is the case, then I am sorry." It doesn't really sound contrite, but her tone doesn't seem to change much beyond generally pleasant.
   "Well, there you have it. Just talk to Emily and she'll answer, and that includes places outside of this room. Admittedly, she's a little on the dense side, but she's just a program, not an AI. It's the best that can be expected." Taric fingers his eyepatch absently and grimaces. "I think I may have developed something of a mistrust for artificial intelligences, but that is neither here nor there. Your guns are in the armory cabinets," he adds, gesturing to the stacks of horizontal drawers. "I made a few additions and had everything cleaned, because, honestly, its a miracle none of us caught some horrible disease while we were mucking about with the revolution." Taric cocks his head to the side and seems to listen to something, then he sighs. "Take whatever you like, it's all yours. After that we'll say goodbye to Tarran, James, and Hoke. Then the real work begins."   

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:23:54 am by Draignean »
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: July 10, 2013, 12:37:10 am »

Dom thought for a moment. The voice had introduced herself as Emily. She had been so out of it - the last thing she remembered was entering the second Orientation machine, and then she had woken up in strange circumstances with none of her gear - that she hadn't really registered the AI that much. She closed her eyes and pressed her fingertips to her forehead. "No, she did introduce herself... I just wasn't paying attention or something. Sorry, Emily."

The latina psionic took a deep breath to clear her head as she walked over to the horizontal drawers. She wasn't sure how much of her personal armory she would need, but the Abassy and a stun baton - as well as ammunition/batteries for both - at least was coming with her. Once she had the baton hanging from her belt and the Abassy in her thigh holster, she turned back to Taric. "Right. Well, I guess I'm ready now."

...I guess this is really it. I'm not going to see Smith ever again, probably. Kind of weird. It was just me, him, Trol, and Taric on that shuttle... and Trol died and Taric acts like someone else entirely now. With Smith going... it's like I've lost all my friends. Well, maybe not all. She didn't know Evan too well, but maybe she could convince him to stay with her, here. If she hadn't already blown any chance of being his friend with that botched Orientation job... although maybe an actual Orientation machine could fix that. Still, it was worth a shot to talk to him.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: July 10, 2013, 10:44:04 pm »

Dominique Wakeman

The latina psionic took a deep breath to clear her head as she walked over to the horizontal drawers. She wasn't sure how much of her personal armory she would need, but the Abassy and a stun baton - as well as ammunition/batteries for both - at least was coming with her.

You have a slight amount of difficulty finding them. The first shelf contains three suits of body armor. One is a refurbished version of your old suit, but the other two are new. The second shelf contains five rifles organized from smallest to largest, only two of which you actually used to own. The third tier contains two shotguns and a three submachine guns. Drawer four contains melee weapons and pistols, including your old Abassy and stun baton. Hunting down for ammunition, you find it packing drawer five along with a half-dozen grenades. Taken together it looks like the personal storeroom of an OCD warlord. You'll definitely need to come back here when you actually need to kill something.
You strap on the Abassy and stun baton and turn back to Taric, telling him that you're ready to leave.
He nods and offers you his arm. After a still moment he laughs and puts it back down again. "Fine, follow me."

-—-

James Evan

James was beginning to get slightly unnerved. The immortals had led Aaron, Tarran, and himself into the hangar peaceably enough, but now they seemed to be stuck waiting interminably. Aaron had been there for a while, helping cut Hoke's exosuit off, but he and his team had been quietly called away by another immortal not long ago. Tarran had checked every clip he owned twice, and now, lacking anything more satisfying to do, he spent his time throwing a balled up MRE at an immortal and catching it as it rebounded of the creature's head. Hoke had fallen asleep, which wasn't surprising. He'd didn't have a psionic's endurance, and from what he'd said earlier, he hadn't been having a good time of things.
Apparently the Father had started getting to him minutes after he'd landed the Virtue and dropped everybody off to head for Hensfield. The jamming signal that had been emanating from the region was the Father's construct, and its effect on Hoke had been slow but devastating. He'd described the feeling as something akin to getting very, very drunk on aerosolized alcohol. The group had been making radio contact from Hensfield’s holding pen when the immortals boarded the Virtue. The Father attempted to assume Hoke's end of the conversation on the fly, but Nathaniel sobered enough to break through his cyber drugging and get out a warning to not come back to the ship. He wasn't particularly successful, and, weakened by the Father's signal, was overpowered and forced out of the main control systems. The ship was stolen and taken into the facility through a concealed hangar entrance. Once the Father had Nathaniel within the facility, he attempted to integrate him into his own compound mind- with no effect on either. Hoke's AI personality and the Father's bastard personalities were almost completely incompatible. One could catch fractured glimpses of the other, but neither could force any changes. Determined to get at Hoke’s knowledge another way, the Father put Nathaniel in the body of a deadhead and forced him into a carapace. The result was unpleasant for both of them. The carapace was unable to interface with the mechanical mind of the deadhead, and Nathaniel was unable to control the musculature or senses of the exo. He was blind, deaf, mute, and encased in a barely mobile shell that fought with him every step. Whatever happened next was not pleasant. Hoke wouldn't say much about it, but, considering how he spent twenty minutes complaining when Cale had almost nicked him while cutting him out of the biosuit, it had to have been bad for him to avoid talking about it. The end result was that the Father left Nathaniel for dead. Hoke’s exo had been killed and he was barely able to move after the torture. Through a combination of luck and determination, Hoke tore away enough of the suit's face that he could see. Good as crippled, he'd done his best to find his way out of the facility. In the end he'd managed to get access to a terminal, and he'd been ready to try a desperate gambit to clear his own way back to the ship when he'd noticed the father reprogramming deadheads on the first floor. Cracking into security using a few choice pieces of information garnered from the period where the father was trying the integrate him, Hoke made a short, unskilled addition to one of the deadheads. The message he'd sent was necessarily cryptic, but it gave him something other to do than a lone suicide run to the hangar. From then on he'd spent the rest of his time trying to guide the little pockets of survivors where they could do some good. He hadn't had much success. His most overt contact, when he tried to keep Dom from following the Father's commands, had resulted in the exposure that he feared. After Tarran had inadvertently revealed him, Nathaniel had been forced to flee from immortals in perfectly healthy suits, which hadn't gone so well for him. He would have died if the immortals hadn't stopped in middle of killing him. They'd just stood still for a few minutes, then they helped him up and ushering him back to the hangar.
James had no idea how much of that story was truth and how much was embellishment, but Hoke had been wearing a very dead carapace when Tarran, James, and Aaron had arrived. Only the better part of an hour and a lot of skilled knife work had been able to remove it.
Now that Aaron and his group were gone and Nathaniel slept, it was just James, Tarran, and the Immortals. The voices in James' head had not returned, and an uncomfortable silence reigned. Tarran and James had already talked, as silently as possible, about what to do if the immortals should turn hostile, but it hadn't gone very far. The immortals were unarmed, and they weren't the brutish kind with the arm spikes. With both Tarran and James armed, it wouldn't be much of a contest. There wasn't a lot to discuss when your best tactic was to shoot until everything stopped moving. The resulting silence had made James uneasy enough to spend the last twenty minutes praying.
The door to the hangar waiting bay opened, and, instead of the squadron of armed immortals that James had half expected, Taric and Dominique stepped through. The balled up MRE fell to the floor as Tarran forgot to catch it. Both Taric and Dom looked fresh. They were bathed, groomed, and wearing much nicer clothing than they had been, though only Dominique was armed. Taric looked pleased despite his eyepatch, but Dominique's expression was almost unreadable. "Ah, I apologize to have kept you waiting, but women do take their time getting ready to go anywhere." Taric's voice was light, but there's a ragged edge to him. "I've kept you here for the purpose of saying good-bye, and I think Dom should go first."
There's a moment, just as Taric smiles and leaves Dominique on stage with no lines, that the ragged edge in him disappears and the rumpled smart-ass hacker you remember seems superimposed on his current, more predatory, appearance. It's a chilling contrast of just how much he has changed, or has been changed, since you last saw him.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: July 10, 2013, 10:58:28 pm »

Dom glared at Taric for a moment. "Ignore this douchebag, guys. He - or his minions - did this shit to me while I was out cold." She indicated her hair on the words 'this shit' as if to mean her overall appearance. "But... um... yeah. I guess this is goodbye. I gave my word that in exchange for helping you escape, I would stay here." She rubbed her forehead. "It's for the best. I didn't want you to have to keep wandering the halls and possibly getting hurt or killed by the suits. Besides... I'm not an Unchained, and I never was. I only worked with them because I had no alternative. Go back to your people, Tarran. They need you there."

She turned her attention to Evan. "James... I know this'll seem weird or something... but you have a choice. Do you want to stay here, or do you want to go with Smith back to the Unchained?" Dom hoped he would at least consider it, if not outright choose to stay. She decided to sweeten the deal. "There's an Orientation machine here. If Taric will let us, maybe we can use it to... fix whatever it was I did to you on accident." She took a deep breath. She didn't say what she was about to say next very often, and not usually sincerely when she did. "I'm... I apologize for the trouble I caused you. I didn't mean for any of that to happen; I just wanted to give you the same chance I had to survive."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: July 10, 2013, 11:03:24 pm »

All sheets have been updated, Ahra has been kicked, waitlist has been scrubbed, Zako has been inducted, I'm going to sleep.

Zako, you should get the drill at this point. Send me your PM with your candidate picks as soon as you can.
---
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 602