Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 529674 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2 There is a form to fear, and a shape to madness.
« Reply #5385 on: August 31, 2011, 06:01:36 pm »

Good point.

I guess I'll just have steal back whatever I have to give you (from the loosing bet) in that case. Then I'll have a profit. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: August 31, 2011, 06:05:07 pm »

Also, wow. 360 pages, 5387 posts total counting this one (and the initial, of course, which doesn't show up in the 'replies' column). ^^ A late 'gratz, Draignean, for passing the 5,000 mark some time ago. :3
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: August 31, 2011, 06:08:39 pm »

He has done what few others have done. And still made the game relatively interesting.

He deserves to have a religion in the RTD forum worshiping him.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: August 31, 2011, 06:33:02 pm »

Turn? It's been a decent while.

Err yes... It has hasn't it? Four days, what the hell?! Damn your eyes father time! Sorry, went kind of crazy at a bookstore and I've been reading in almost every available free moment for about three days now.

Considering my present status I'm going to change clothes and take a shower before I write the turn, and maybe put my books in a timelock.

Ergots! I'm also supposed to be trying a new style and attacking old women with bleach today, turn may be delayed but I will try for one shortly or tonight.
He has done what few others have done. And still made the game relatively interesting.

He deserves to have a religion in the RTD forum worshiping him.

Sean deserves it more, and I sure as hell ain't Sean Mirrsen.

When I hit 1337 pages I'll start referring to you as 'subjects'. :P 

Also 'relatively'? I'm almost quasi hurt. Almost.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: August 31, 2011, 06:34:56 pm »

Come on, can't you use nerve gas like the rest of us? Bleach just seems too cruel. (This is coming from me though...)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: August 31, 2011, 06:43:40 pm »

Sean deserves it more, and I sure as hell ain't Sean Mirrsen.
You do have a buttload more rules, though, as far as I remember based on what Multiworld was like.

Also 'relatively'? I'm almost quasi hurt. Almost.
To be honest, there have been boring parts. But that's to be expected of any game, really.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: August 31, 2011, 06:48:38 pm »

Also to be fair Sean has a lot more players in his, from what I'm given to understand. The first half or so of this RTD was run with only five people counting the GM, then another quarter of it with six (Powder) and it was relatively recently that wolfchild made seven. There's also the fact that MM has multiple worlds and sources to draw from whereas D-22 has been consistent to one concept the whole time.

(Disclaimer: I mean no critique of Sean Mirrsen. I haven't read Multiworld Madness for the same reason I wouldn't read this thread if I hadn't been part of it the whole time: It's very long. :P)

AlsoEdit @Tarran: That's true, although your definition of boring may vary. I tend to enjoy the moments out of combat as much as in combat because then I get to settle in for some good old character-building.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:50:17 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:26 pm »

I'm stuck on reading this, it is very interesting inside combat, outside combat, and when ya'll are just goofing around waiting for a turn.

And I'm not even in it yet.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: August 31, 2011, 07:36:04 pm »

Indeed. I realize I phrased a few things wrong in my last post, so I'll just fix those real fast.

Also to be fair Sean has a lot more players in his, from what I'm given to understand. The first half or so of this RTD was run with only five people counting the GM, then another quarter of it with six (Powder) and it was relatively recently that wolfchild made seven.

That's wrong, we're still at six. I kinda forgot Trol disappeared shortly after Powder arrived. :-\ Still wonder what happened to him, now and then.

(Disclaimer: I mean no critique of Sean Mirrsen. I haven't read Multiworld Madness for the same reason I wouldn't read this thread if I hadn't been part of it the whole time: It's very long. :P)

Er, what I meant was that if I hadn't signed up from day one, I would probably read this thread despite its length, but I would be disinclined to click on it at this point to check it out in the first place because of the size of it. ^^;

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: September 01, 2011, 02:01:20 am »

Alright, it's 2 am, It's 40,000 characters until the limit, I've got a full house of characters, a half a pack of gum, it's dark, and I'm wearing sunglasses.

Hit it. (Tarran and Taric will get Kudos for getting the reference.)

PPE: As I go back over my work I realize that I've been consistently misapplying Tarran's class bonus... Technically at this point he should have a guaranteed +2 to all passive kinetics, which is enough to start creating spontaneous shields.

Which he hasn't been getting. Ah well, It's been caught now.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: September 01, 2011, 02:12:05 am »

Hit it. (Tarran and Taric will get Kudos for getting the reference.)
Don't get it. Oh well.

PPE: As I go back over my work I realize that I've been consistently misapplying Tarran's class bonus... Technically at this point he should have a guaranteed +2 to all passive kinetics, which is enough to start creating spontaneous shields.

Which he hasn't been getting. Ah well, It's been caught now.
Oh hell yes, I am now a sniper with shields.

What's the extent of it's usefulness? Can it protect against bullets?

Or is it just a crappy shield that comes up when something minor happens?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: September 01, 2011, 02:57:44 am »

Whenever you're attacked in combat with a slower-than-light projectile and you know it's coming you get to make a passive kinetics roll. Then for the rest of the round you gain a shield equal to five times however many points that roll was above zero. So at your level you can max make a spontaneous shield hard enough to soak 7 points of damage. Not enough to stop even a mid power bullet but enough to slow it down for your armor to deal with, plus the fact that you get a new one every round that you aren't exhausted. Don't depend on it, but don't discount it either.

You rolled a 6 and an 8 (with modifiers) by the way. 

I'm having a bit more fun with the new style, for now at least... Takes longer though.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: September 01, 2011, 03:04:32 am »

Whenever you're attacked in combat with a slower-than-light projectile and you know it's coming you get to make a passive kinetics roll. Then for the rest of the round you gain a shield equal to five times however many points that roll was above zero. So at your level you can max make a spontaneous shield hard enough to soak 7 points of damage. Not enough to stop even a mid power bullet but enough to slow it down for your armor to deal with, plus the fact that you get a new one every round that you aren't exhausted. Don't depend on it, but don't discount it either.
So, passive defense? Nice.

You rolled a 6 and an 8 (with modifiers) by the way. 
...8? :o

Did I make an amazing dodge/defense, break down the door, or absolutely murder someone?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: September 01, 2011, 05:27:04 am »

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Tarran's options had at this point become severely limited, he could turn back and spend his time twiddling his thumbs, he could set up and equally pointless watch here, or he could set off for some reconnaissance and leave the men and woman entrusted to his service without. None of those option sat well with him. "When the smart has been abandoned by elimination the brave, no matter how stupid, must be the correct option" He muttered under his breath as his assisted vision scanned the end of the corridor again for anything that he could have possibly missed.
    "What was that?" Harry asked quietly from beside him, his own less augmented vision straining to see more than Tarran's vague outline in the dark.
    "Nothing, I'm just going to bang on this door and see if I can't get a bloody answer."
    "And?"
    "And on the off chance that someone does answer I'd appreciate you putting a few holes in them."
    There's a moment of silence before Harry chuckles in the dark. "Well it sure as hell beats playing twenty questions... Do it, I've got your back." He says as he plants his feet into a firing position and braces the SMG into his shoulder.
    Tarran nods once and slams his fist into the door with surprising force. "HEY, BAD GUYS, OPEN UP!" He shouts at deafening volume into the heavy metal of the door, continuing to slam his fist into it as he yells. "I JUST KNOW YOU WANT TO KILL ME! OPEN UP!" The door resonates softly with the power of his blows but nothing happens as the sound fades away.
    "Well that was bracing," Harry says "but I don't thin-"
    "OPEN GODDAMN YOU!" Tarran yells over the larger man and smashes his balled fist into the door, sheer frustration condensed and loosed down a conduit of flesh and bone that hits like a freight train. With a moan of rapidly bending metal and a screeching pop the sliding door separates from one side of the frame, damaging it irreparably but also bending it far enough in that someone could slip in if they squeezed a bit. The rapidly blossoming pain in his hand however keeps him from fully appreciating his work, though Harry's face is a sight to behold.
    "Everything better be all right down there" Dominique's voice calls out from up the hall. " 'Cause if it isn't I'm too tired to kick its ass without kicking yours first for bothering me."
    "Fine," Tarran manages while clenching his teeth and clutching his injured hand. "just punching down doors."
    Dominique grunts as if this was a fairly normal thing to be doing. "Use your feet, breaks less knuckles." She says as she readjusts her position of recline against the side of the wall, never opening her eyes once through the entire exchange. Dominique's breath never slows into real sleep, just a light rest that can be maintained while standing up, and old workman's trick she picked up years ago. Orienting James had been a chore, not a big thing but she didn't want to be caught exhausted should something real and dangerous come up.
    James himself seemed unaffected, rolling his shoulders experimentally. He felt only marginally different, a subtle thing as though he'd just dropped maybe 5% of his weight. He just felt.. better. Still he was slightly concerned, if Dom's reaction was anything to go on then he should be more effected than this... "I don't feel much different, just a bit tougher and stronger" He said as he flexed his hands experimentally, though nothing of note happened when he did so.  "Anyway," he continued "it felt like that was getting absorb-" James stopped cold before he finished the word. Absorbed. Dominique had tried to do something with his head, considering the guest he kept up there it seemed entirely possible that she'd gotten the wrong one. The implications of that were... unpleasant. "Great. I need to explain something" he said as he blew out a breath "I'd gone through some crazy dream torture from Technocracy tech before I woke up in that ship. As a consequence... well, my subconscious has a mind of its own, and it occasionally does... things, and well.... IT must have done something to part of your Orientation." he finished, looking at Dominique for some reaction, incredulity, surprise, alarm, anything.
    She shrugged once without opening her eyes.
    More than a little surprised James stared at Dominique. "That's it?"
    "Mmm" She said, her dark eyes still closed.
    "You aren't concerned about it or surprised?"
    Dominique finally cracks one eye at the blond man. "Will it attempt to kill us?"   
    "Er no, I don't think so."
    "Good, wake me if it does." she says and promptly closes her eyes again.
    James gaped at her slightly. Thinking about it though James found her logic made a certain sense, there really wasn't a lot of point in worrying until something happened. Still, considering that it was keeping that thing from growing unchecked inside his head he felt he had legitimate cause to worry about it... Again though, worrying would do nothing. Feeling somewhat helpless and a little useless James left Dominique to her rest and walked into the substation, taking a moment to adjust to the shifting colors generated by the holographic displays. Taric stood working at one of them and James approached somewhat uncertainly. "Need a hand?" he asked when he was abreast of the the dark haired man.
    "No thanks," Taric replied "my mother had real foresight and gave me a pair a while ago, haven't needed new ones since." Taric grins at James briefly. "Nah, just stand still and watch a master seducer at work."
    James does as he's told and watched the screen as Taric's fingers manipulated the screen with inhuman speed. Still, standing in one place and watching the man's back James became aware of a tension in the shorter man's shoulders, a sign that things were not going as well as they should.
    "Hell and high water..." Taric swore softly as the security mutated without warning for the third time in as many minutes. He'd underestimated the security badly, and if he didn't move fast things were going to degenerate rapidly. Focusing all his precision to the task he set about withdrawing his probes and reshaping his attack to the new iteration of the enemy.
   It is of course at this moment that a single drop of sweat beaded on Taric's eyebrow and, unthinkingly, Taric raised her arm up to wipe the drop away. The hand movement made in doing so was in just the right place at exactly the wrong time, and the system interpreted it as a command to release the half formed spike program he'd been building. As the useless program activated it did absolutely nothing except for attract the security right to Taric's location.
   "One day" Taric said as the red emergency lights glowed to life in the walls. "I'm going to find the person who decided that command was a good idea and we're going to have a long talk.
    A tenth of a second later there is a crunching splatter of a sound behind Taric and James as the heavy door's safeties are overridden, forcing it to crush and bisect the unfortunate deadhead as it slammed shut. Then the door at the other end of the room slides open, affording a brief glimpse of a room full of tall tubes and harnesses before the broad shouldered figure of a deadhead clone blocks the doorway.
    "Citizen Pyotr Ivanov, you are in violation of your contract, Technocracy law, and the global code of conduct. The deadhead intones as more of its brethren file up behind it. "Yourself and the witness will accompany us to the holding cells. Failure to comply will be dealt with by force."
    "Taric" James said.
    "Yeah?"
    "I hate you."       

Meanwhile up at the north wing Jordan sat cross legged at the other end of the room from Ashley, picking through his rifle with a grimace as he made spot repairs where he could. There was fighting still ahead, and he didn't like not having the killing power of the rifle able to be brought to bear at the closer ranges. Still he kept an eye on Ash even as he worked, she was helpless like this and he would be her only defense until the other were brought up if it came to fighting again.
    Ashley herself was sitting in the chair, staring at the floating holo-prism in front of her without moving. For all the life she showed she could have been catatonic for months, inside her head though things were moving apace... The curiously sea like world of the terminal had yielded to her this far, now was the time to make some waves. Flexing her virtual fingers and concentrating she shaped a series of small and basic seeker programs, designed to smell out the files she's sure are buried or deleted... but nothing ever enters or leaves a system without leaving a mark, and Ash can tell a lot by those marks. With a wave of her hand the dozen bright blue and faintly luminous programs jet away, each one searching and gathering data a dozen times faster than you could have manually.
   The the dull and near invisible predators that comprise the security of the system notice the little programs that Ashley created, and they move towards the helpless creations with hungry abandon. Wherever they find the seekers they engulf them and Ashley has to work fast, creating a working illusion that she herself is merely a chunk of cold data storage. When the last of her probes is engulfed the security will undoubtedly trace their source back to her.
    Indeed when one of the odd somehow shrouded security programs finally tracks the last of her creations down she's able to catch glimpses of the security darting about in all directions in an effort to find their point of entry. Thanks to luck and skill however Ash's illusion holds up even when tested lightly by the security. After several long moments they move farther afield and Ash at long last allows herself a sigh of relief, she was still inside and she could still work- but the security was out and aware now, and that could make all the difference.     

Relevant Items
Memory Stick (Dom)
Broken Pad (Taric)
Ident Badge (Taric)

Spoiler: Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Companions (Ashley) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Domninique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Taric Sizier (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2 Some hacker you are...
« Reply #5399 on: September 01, 2011, 05:49:28 am »

"Well, fuck." Open fire, in bursts with the jormundgandr part of the rifle.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 602