Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Paints: an aesthetic request  (Read 2883 times)

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paints: an aesthetic request
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 02:53:30 am »

You don't plate a platinum spoon with gold, though. :P You plate a lesser-value material with a greater-value material, to make it more valuable due to appearance. A painted gold floor costs more than a painted tin floor, sure, but should a painted gold floor be worth less (in room value, which has to do with appearance as much as material) than a bare gold floor?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 03:00:01 am »

Well I would like no, otherwise I would be less likely to paint floors. I like to use floors to up room values, but I would also like to paint floors to give patterns across the floor. I already sort of do with using specific types of rock, but it would be nice to have a ☺ symbol as the carpet in my dinning room without dropping room value.

So yea, this is one of those times when I support an idea because of personal preferance and it makes life easy. Take a screen shot, this is a rare event! Normaly I am all for higher levels of realisem and harder game play.

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 02:46:16 pm »

I wouldn't equate "harder gameplay" or "realism" with "forcing the player to micromange a bunch of otherwise useless stones in a task that requires the labor of a small megaproject." The kind of difficulty generated by the current system of colored stone management is what gamers call "fake difficulty."

Paints don't make the game easy or unrealistic. It's just a way to work around a bunch of wonky game mechanics in order to let players have more creativity with their fort.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 05:29:43 pm »

It's just a way to work around a bunch of wonky game mechanics in order to let players have more creativity with their fort.
Exactly!  I'm all for this idea.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2011, 01:31:19 pm »

What's more, you could paint a giant dick in the middle of your baron's room.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 01:36:54 pm »

What's more, you could paint a giant dick in the middle of your baron's room.

why would you want to pain a picture of an elf trader?
Pages: 1 2 [3]