Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: To Steam or not to Steam.  (Read 4235 times)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To Steam or not to Steam.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 10:46:14 pm »

Once again, Steam is cool, but it has DRM. So, if you are one the guys who are scared DRM kills you there's great alternatives like Gamersgate, GOG, and a bunch of other junk, like I already mentioned. Actually, are there any no DRM Steam-like services besides Gamersgate and GOG? I'm trying to think.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 10:56:53 pm »

Give in, but use Gamersgate and perhaps GOG primarily.
I used Gamersgate, up until the installer for Ruse wanted to install through Steam after finishing the download of it itself...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 11:47:24 pm »

You're one rare person.
I dunno.  Only problem I ever had with steam was when I bought Bioshock on a midsummer sale.
I have a few issues with it, sound bugs, and quite often, when a game is updating, it goes into this freeze state where you cannot chat or anything. Then releases for a minute then freezes again. People have the nerve to say it's because of my internet. Even if my link was less than 2mbps, it's no excuse for that sort of behavior.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 11:49:24 pm »

I've never had a single problem with Steam, but DRM-free alternatives are usually better to go with.

Use Steam for its sales and exclusive games, mostly.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 12:18:05 am »

Give in, but use Gamersgate and perhaps GOG primarily.
I used Gamersgate, up until the installer for Ruse wanted to install through Steam after finishing the download of it itself...
Same thing for Magicka. Irritating as hell, but I still use Gamersgate, after making sure a game isn't inherently linked to Steam anyway (In which case I'd just buy it through Steam).

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 12:59:27 am »

I've been using steam for a while, primarily taking advantage of the crazy sales. I've never had any major problems. Maybe twice in the last 3 years I've had it come up and say "You can't play now because we can't find the servers." Occasionally during the previously mentioned crazy sales, the download servers will clog up as well, but it usually sorts itself out in an hour or two.

Other than that, I've never had any problems which weren't my own damn fault. (I should have read the sys reqs... I don't have a DirectX 10 card, and I bought Just Cause 2.)

Edit: My own damn fault, or the fault of the developers and not Valve themselves. GUN is just a plain terrible port of a console game to a PC game.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:01:57 am by sluissa »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 01:06:57 am »

I remember this one time I used Steam and it worked totally fine.

Which is like all the damn time.

This is my experience as well.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 01:55:09 am »

The last time I had an actual problem with Steam was during the Christmas sales, when M&B: Warband was selling like hotcakes, and they ran out of licenses on a saturday (IIRC) but kept selling them (One of my friends bought one of the bundles that included something like 6 of them for a significantly reduced price for a bunch of us, and then it turned out to think it was an unregistered demo and show completely the wrong license key) - nobody who got it after they ran out could play it (unless they ran it in demo mode) until Steam and the publisher got around to fixing the problem, which took them until Monday or so. On the plus side, everyone's copies of it were automagically fixed and just started working properly when they fixed the problem.

That seems like a minus, aside from the fact that it was still ridiculously cheap, cheaper than anywhere else I saw it, and for that price I didn't really mind waiting a couple days.

Other than that, the only negatives I've seen are when you lose connection to steam and stop getting achievements as a result - which made me think "But wait... If I bought it somewhere else, assuming that we're talking about a non-valve game, it probably wouldn't *have* achievements unless it was on the XBox 360... So there isn't really an advantage to getting it elsewhere if you care about achievements enough to consider this point."

I especially like the steam cloud feature that uploads your saved games (of certain games at least, such as HL2 and portal) - which came in handy when my previous computer died and I built this one to replace it. The only downside was certain achievement(s)-in-progress weren't carried over (Camera Shy, notably).

I have some games on Impulse, and overall I tend to like Steam better - mostly because I tend to see better deals on Steam, it's easier to navigate the sales, Steam has more features, and Impulse started to add DRM of their own.

I also have some things from GoG, but I haven't bought anything from them since they shut the site down and disabled downloads for several days for a publicity stunt (while claiming they would have to shut down forever). If they feel they can shut the site down for days and disable everyone's ability to download the things they've bought, at any time, because they feel like pulling a publicity stunt or even for any reason beyond "we accidentally the entire internet," if they even think that is something that is acceptable for a company to do to its customers, then they're not the kind of company I want to buy things from (and not the kind of company I can trust not to do it again).

As for GamersGate, I've heard of it, but apparently it has changed some since last I looked it up - at the time it mainly had Paradox games, as it was their own service for their own games. When I was getting Sword of the Stars when the last expansion came out, I looked at GamersGate, Impulse, and Steam, but not knowing if GamersGate would be around in the long run, and not knowing much about them at all (and not really wanting three digital distribution service's programs on my computer), I went with Impulse (for having less DRM and the same price as Steam at the time).

Also, what gave people the idea that GamersGate doesn't use DRM in games?
Quote from: GamersGate FAQ
Do you use SecuRom or any other protection on the games?
Yes, some games got some kind of protection. This is done according to the agreement with the developers and publishers. However, the activation limit that may be on this protection is easily reset by an email to support@gamersgate.com. Any game bought on GamersGate is yours to download and install as many times as you like.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 02:44:52 am »

If the developers insist on adding DRM to their programs, every online retailer will have their DRM solution. If the devs insist on adding SecureROM (or can't be arsed to remove it for digital downloads), then the retailers don't have a choice. I think that's all GamersGate is saying in that passage - if the devs insist, GamersGate won't turn around and refuse to sell the game or anything.

That said, I have no problems with DRM so long as it's non-intrusive. Activation limits are intrusive. Requiring me to maintain an internet connection is intrusive. Steam has neither of these (unless, as mentioned above, the devs insist on adding their own DRM), and as an added bonus prevents me from ever having to change CDs or worry about losing my disks. It's the closest we've ever come to the DRM crusaders' concept of a DRM solution that's a benefit to legitimate consumers (instead of being a horribly-annoying hassle that pirates don't have to put up with).

Overall, Steam is certainly no worse than other online retailers, and it frequently has huge sales (the holiday sales are, of course, huge, but they'll have major weekend sales on certain games every week or two). That's enough for me.  ;)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 07:51:54 am »

I remember this one time I used Steam and it worked totally fine.

Which is like all the damn time.
You're one rare person.

Hey, i'm rare too! The only time I got kicked off was when my internet shut off. When it went back on, any game i'm currently playing now hits offline mode.

Never had another issue
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 08:06:02 am »

Really, people are still pondering over this? I have had steam on my computer for over 3 years now. In that time, I have gotten numerous free games, free updates (on some Australian ISPs, steam content is hosted on free to download servers, so updates and some games do not go toward any internet quotas) and an extremely good social networking system. The specials are pretty damn mindblowing too.

I will not lie, there have been errors; getting booted from a game because of the steam connection (but not the connection to the game server) being lost, and a couple of wasted gigs of download lost to automatic updates before I switched it over to freezone spring to mind. That was it. Nothing major, and more importantly, nothing AT ALL in the last two years, has gone wrong with steam for me. Comparing that to the value I get out of it? It's no contest.

Get steam.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:26 am »

I've been using Steam since I received Portal as a gift back when the Orange Box was new and am largely satisfied with the platform. I frequently use its chat client even when not actively using its other features because it's convenient and I often have Steam running in the background as a news and update feed. My games run when I want them to and there is no noticeable load on my system's resources when my games are not running. The only time I had an issue with one of my downloaded games (Mass Effect crash to desktop on using the galaxy map) it was the work of less than thirty seconds to mend it via the built-in repair function. Steam is also how I got Recettear for $5 with some other games thrown in as a bonus. I am satisfied.

That said, I do have a longstanding problem with Team Fortress 2 and now Monday Night Combat. When I attempt to find servers I can, but immediately experience a connection crash that lasts for a period roughly proportional to the number of results I receive. I can still play once my connection reasserts itself, but it's a nuisance. In fairness, I cannot say with any degree of certainty that this is even Steam's fault, having only ever seen a single bug report claiming a similar problem.
... and then it explodes!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 10:05:37 am »

well, at start steam was bad. as in, really really bad. it was forced on me by the 'wtcc racing game' I bought without knowing better.

but it has got better as time passed. now I cannot live without. first of all, while it's quite heavy in the startup phase, it doesn't bog your computer down during normal operations. or at least with a proper dual core machine the impact is very very low.

the weekend deal is usually a good value for money. I bought a lot of game that were just not awesome enough to pay more than 10 bucks at 2-3$, for example just cause.

every now and then a new publisher get on board, usually with some interesting offer. last day I bought the hitman set, just for the sake of having it in a convenient place.

which brings me to another point. every game is always with you. you won't lost discs, you won't have to install countless patch in random order or even find them on obscure mirror sites for games that are getting older

and, for game that supports it, the steam cloud feature is simply awesome. every now and then some game gets installed and some other removed. or you change your pc, or you need to format winblows, and then, when you reinstall the games, everything is here ready to play.

it does have some problem, sometimes a game becomes unavailable for a couple hours without reason, sometime you have the in game drm conflicting with the steam drm or the pc in general, but overall I very like it.

I think that, apart from the steam cloud, the experience would be the same with every other game download service. but I've not used anything else because some are blocked in my country, some doesn't support redownloading and others doesn't have the huge collection steam has by now.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 10:09:08 am »

Eh, the only steam game I have is L4D2...  I'd probably get L4D1 eventually down the line.
I wouldn't mind getting games for free on steam.  Not about to put much more money into myself.

As for every other game I'd bother to get that is out there... I get the non-DRM version...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »

Steam is the best thing that happened to the gaming industry in the last 10 years
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4