Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Morrowind is cool again  (Read 28534 times)

drailgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Morrowind is cool again
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 06:07:34 pm »

Download MCA 6.1 from planetelderscrolls.com (just search MCA mod on google and look for the planetelderscrolls link), it adds a lot more npcs and even gives you companions. makes morrowind more lifelike with bandits, bounty hunters (looking for you!), and the inns are full at night.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 06:10:53 pm »

The level lists are really hard to make work from what I've seen. They can only be replaced, not modified, by a mod. So a mod maker can add a set of stuff to a leveled list, but if two mods add to the same list, then only one will end up actually implemented.

Same goes for shopkeepers, although it is easier to just add something in a back room of an existing merchant, which wouldn't harm anything.

I'd imagine that changing it to treat leveled lists as an item-side attribute instead of a single separate list could be interesting. So instead of having a list of all weapons suitable for being had by bandits, a dagger would have a note saying that it could be in bandit loot, thieves guild equipment chests, beggar's bags, pirate loot, and so on. Then you'd have a container that would just say it has 5-10 pieces of thief loot.

So if you add a wood shiv to the game, you mark it as thief loot, elf loot, and bandit loot, and it would show up everywhere that belongs.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 07:08:41 pm »

Download MCA 6.1 from planetelderscrolls.com (just search MCA mod on google and look for the planetelderscrolls link), it adds a lot more npcs and even gives you companions. makes morrowind more lifelike with bandits, bounty hunters (looking for you!), and the inns are full at night.

MCA is good, but I wasn't talking about creature/NPC leveled lists additions. Most of those mods are at least correctly set up.

I should probably note I don't like MCA, not because of any problem with it, my rig just sucks and can barely handle cities as-is. I don't need even more NPC's dragging my framerate down.

The level lists are really hard to make work from what I've seen. They can only be replaced, not modified, by a mod. So a mod maker can add a set of stuff to a leveled list, but if two mods add to the same list, then only one will end up actually implemented.

Same goes for shopkeepers, although it is easier to just add something in a back room of an existing merchant, which wouldn't harm anything.

I'd imagine that changing it to treat leveled lists as an item-side attribute instead of a single separate list could be interesting. So instead of having a list of all weapons suitable for being had by bandits, a dagger would have a note saying that it could be in bandit loot, thieves guild equipment chests, beggar's bags, pirate loot, and so on. Then you'd have a container that would just say it has 5-10 pieces of thief loot.

So if you add a wood shiv to the game, you mark it as thief loot, elf loot, and bandit loot, and it would show up everywhere that belongs.

Wyre Mash can merge leveled lists. TESTool can as well, but the lists are flawed. Still, this problem's been fixed by 2004. And you can modify leveled lists via script, although your not actually supposed to do that. I understand that somewhere somebody's going to overwrite, but it's standard procedure to merge leveled lists at this point. Just mention that in the read-me and things will be fine.

And in any case, it's the same with everything else in the game. You can't modify, just replace. I don't see how "it could conflict" is a good argument considering that any conflict with any other mod that changes the same thing.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2011, 04:34:20 am »

Yeah, I gave links to many good mods in this thread, including MCA.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2011, 10:12:26 am »

The problem with MCA is it adds a whole ton of off-theme content of marginal quality. I'd be fine with adding bandits and Kwama miners and stuff, but ninjas are a little overboard.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2011, 11:50:18 am »

I thought the Akaviri were ninjas.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2011, 12:10:03 pm »

The problem with MCA is it adds a whole ton of off-theme content of marginal quality. I'd be fine with adding bandits and Kwama miners and stuff, but ninjas are a little overboard.

Don't you know that everything is better with Ninjas?  And Pirates...don't forget Pirates.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2011, 12:14:54 pm »

Well, the Akavir were similar to ninjas, but they are Akaviri. So if they were Akaviri Scouts or Mercinaries, then I might be OK with them.

Anyway, I was thinking; why not a community mod? It could be a long series of cave passages and each member gets to make a section. Then the sections are connected and there we go.

Would anyone be interested? For compatibility's sake, we'd use only standard Morrowind and expansions with updates, unless there's some specific mod everybody wants to use.

Maybe not even a cave, but a series of "challenges" with magic gateways between realms, so they don't have to be entirely sane.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2011, 01:45:01 pm »

I'm interested, though I don't have much time and only used the CS very little and long time ago

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2011, 01:57:07 pm »

Sounds interesting.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 02:26:30 pm »

It could work. That's the way Tamriel Rebuilt is constructed. The major obstacle is how many interested parties we have and who gets stuck sticking them together.

Obviously it should be a dwemer ruin. Come on, dwarves are the obvious go-to!
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2011, 02:39:24 pm »

There will inevitably be at least one Legend of Zelda-style water puzzle(Including floating objects that block passages on low water levels and act as bridges on high levels). It would either need to be lower than everything else; reset the water level on exit, and restore it on entry, and anything below the maximum water level must not be drownable; or it would have to be a different interior from any of the other areas.

As for joining them, perhaps a nonlinear hub of them, where the completion of each partly unlocks the exit passage, or a series of corridors, where each section links the previous and next segments through doors. Either way would allow, based on my almost nonexistant understanding of how plugins work, each person to simply link their area to the common base, without having to interact with anything else. For example, with the corridor chain, it would start with each section having a door to the previous one and a door to the next, but loading a section in between two of them would redirect the pair of doors between them to require completing that section.
Eh?
Eh!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2011, 02:59:35 pm »

The hub sounds pretty good, but that would require knowing beforehand how many people are involved, and would presumably be one person's work. It could definitely be done, though. Maybe each subsection could have a key for successive sets of doors into the loot room.

I think that dwarven ruins are awesome, and we might even use that for the hub, but I'd like to keep this flexible enough so that whatever idea you have for a branches would still work. So while the hub could be Dwemer, the branches could be anything. Dwarves work for this because they could always have built in magic teleporters to isolated caves or crypts or universes.

What each participant would do is create a new mod from Morrowind+Tribunal+Bloodmoon+patches, and make their branch starting with an empty cell (or some wilderness cell a few dozen cells off to the side of the map, though that might be odd). Then whoever makes the hub takes these and merges the mods, connects them all to the hub and vice versa, and assigns the keys to the doors to the treasure room.

OK, I think we'll go with a hub design. I'm liking this. If no one else would like to, I'll make the hub in a Dwemer style somewhere in the Molag Amur region.

Oh, remember to give all your modified items names like _[yourname]_item, or else the item names can crash.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2011, 01:24:32 am »

Hm, if I were to use this mod, or contribute to it, I would want it to fit extremely well with the world (lore). All the mods I've installed so far are for realism one way or another, and I've been very careful to install and check them one by one; editing them or discarding them if I find any piece of bad writing or flawed creator logic.
 I would be willing to do more scouring work just to find the right place to put the entrance; a place where no one would expect it to be but the ones who built it.
 If I made a branch, it would likely be an entry into Hermaeus Mora's plane; irritated and swollen in its own way by the tools used to create it.

(Morrowind never stopped being cool.)
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2011, 01:30:08 am »

I'm not really interested in adding or working on mods which add things to the world - mind you, I've added the two released morrowind maps from Tamriel Rebuilt, but they're basically made to fit in the world and made to exacting standards, or so they say.

(Or working on morrowind mods at all)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10