Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Morrowind is cool again  (Read 28509 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Morrowind is cool again
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 01:09:01 pm »

Poisons! I just mixed up a bunch of paralyze potions, not poisons. I can hold REALLY REALLY STILL now.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011, 01:14:16 pm »

Any recommended stat progression/leveling mod? The vanilla leveling system is a big turn off to me, but everything else is awesome.
Just go to planetelderscrolls or tesnexus and search for it :). There are many. My favourite one was Balor's, it had no levels and stats progressed along with skills (and I played a version with skill decay). There are also mods which add XP leveling system, like in tabletop classical RPG.

P.S. Wait, it was not Balor's. It was Galsiah's seamless character development mod.

P.P.S. Here's the updated version of Galsiah's levelling mod.

You will never see another "Level Up" screen in the game, however, the game does still keep track of Level as it is needed to make the leveled lists of monsters function correctly.

Instead, attributes will increase as you work on skills related to that attribute. "Level" will rise after an arbitrary amount of attribute gains.

Major skills play a great role in your stats. Minor skills play a lesser role. Misc Skills play the least role, but they still play a part. It will take longer, certainly, to build a 'god' character that does anything.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:20:04 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 01:34:04 pm »

Was there any succesful Multiplayer/co-op mod for this?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2011, 01:45:30 pm »

Vurt apparently did an environmental overhaul to Solstheim's Vegetation from Bloodmoon too, and it looks pretty decent. The Vangelis soundtrack is a nice touch too. :P

I never beat Morrowind... might have to do the modding overhaul thing, and actually get back to it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 03:14:18 pm »

You know, I used to love morrowind. But when I recently went back and tried to play it again, i couldn't get over how slow I ran. At the start I felt like a snail, even cheating and giving myself 100 speed, I only felt like I was about average speed in relation to Oblivion.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2011, 03:20:43 pm »

Was there any succesful Multiplayer/co-op mod for this?

Someone made one that sort of worked sometimes. But it was full of issues and never finished.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2011, 03:29:15 pm »

You know, I used to love morrowind. But when I recently went back and tried to play it again, i couldn't get over how slow I ran. At the start I felt like a snail, even cheating and giving myself 100 speed, I only felt like I was about average speed in relation to Oblivion.
Thats why you get the boots of blinding speed. The only way to roll for long distances. Or if you really want to go fast mod yourself 1000 actobatics or speed. (Fun fact, those godamn cliff racers have a speed of like 500 or so, so even with modding and running crazy fast, they catch up with you and attack you).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 03:33:53 pm »

Thats why you get the boots of blinding speed. The only way to roll for long distances. Or if you really want to go fast mod yourself 1000 actobatics or speed. (Fun fact, those godamn cliff racers have a speed of like 500 or so, so even with modding and running crazy fast, they catch up with you and attack you).
Blinding speed!
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2011, 03:39:00 pm »

So I'm going to make a mod. I probably spent more time making mods than I did playing the game.

It's going to be a bit of a dungeon style thing. No special meshes or anything, I'll try to make it in vanilla Morrowind.

Of course it's going to have dwemer ruins.

I was also thinking of building it as a progressing dungeon, so you just keep going down through different types of caves. So at first it's a basement, then there's a passage into a cave, which connects with an old fort, which was built over the entrance to a lava-flooded temple, which has a passage to a crystal-filled cave, which was breached by a dwemer mineshaft, which reaches down to unknown places below the center of the world.

Any particulars anyone's interested in?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 04:02:10 pm »

Actually, I liked Morrowind's caves much better than Oblivion's...

In Oblivion, all the caves seemed so much the same, the same two or three different damned creatures that I knew I could bash out of the way with a swipe or two.

In Morrowind, however, there was a sense of fear and disorientation. I could run around the corner into a bunch of those giant korma..karma..k..things, or I might stumble upon a slaving operation and free the people. *OR*, I might come across some friendly miners I can sit and share my meal with.

Quantity over Quality was definetly the case with Oblivion.

As for the overworld terrain, I thought Oblivion is far better! Everybody complains about "Omg lol english cuntreeside again lol gay, so unoriginal and boring." Take a look around you, and tell me how far apart the nearest desert, lava field, mountain, marsh and forest is. Morrowind's world is so cramped together that it just seems to unreal. Meanwhile, Oblivion has a smoother transition between its biomes that you barely notice where the line is drawn.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 04:04:23 pm »

oh noes it's happening again

I now feel the urge of mashing hundreds of mod to play the definitive morrowind with all the crafting, vampirism, lychantropism.. without actually have any time to play it.

it's just adding mods and mods again from now till the end of times

oh god, it's the morrowind intro music, it's calling me.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2011, 04:25:13 pm »

oh god, it's the morrowind intro music, it's calling me.

I learned this on guitar. I am now going to go play it.

Over, and over, and over.. and over...

DAMN YOU.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 04:39:11 pm »

Take a look around you, and tell me how far apart the nearest desert, lava field, mountain, marsh and forest is. Morrowind's world is so cramped together that it just seems to unreal. Meanwhile, Oblivion has a smoother transition between its biomes that you barely notice where the line is drawn.

Let's see... google maps is my friend

Nearest beach: 5 min drive
Nearest tropical beach: 12 hour drive
Nearest jungle/rainforest: 4 hours drive.
Nearest desert (driest in the world, actually): 44 hours drive
Nearest volcano: 13 hour drive
Nearest mountain: well... all around actually
Nearest marsh: 10 min drive
Nearest forest: 30 min drive
Nearest lava field? No idea, probably close to volcano.

EDIT: It's also not our fault that they decided to basically compact all of Tamriel to the size of Washington State (and Cyrodiil may be smaller than a country club).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:47:31 pm by Sergius »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2011, 04:44:00 pm »

Funnest Morrowind mod IMHO was the one that let you play an aspiring servant (and eventual possible usurper) of Dagoth Ur. It gave evil characters a much more appropriate plot line and a real feeling of achievement. I don't remember the name of the mod, though - it's been a long time since I played Morrowind.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I seriously spent WAY too much time on that game, though. There was a point at which I'd played pretty much every major mod on the PES website completely, and my character had become so ridiculously powerful due to acquiring ridiculous items and leveling that I just ran around jumping over buildings and frying/stabbing/shooting whatever I met in a matter of seconds.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2011, 05:41:26 pm »

It was either "Sixth House (Reborn?)" or "Great House Dagoth". I have no experience with either mod, but they're both supposed to be good. I'd definitely install one for a second or third playthrough if you've already done the main quest.

I've asked this before elsewhere, but are there any leveled list addition mods that aren't garbage? I think Morrowind Advanced was about the only one that I liked. The rest pull stupid bullshit like "Make a new leveled list containing everything in the mod available at level one, then stick that list into one default list!" or "Add a shitload of custom leveled lists that crowd out every other available item!". To fix this kind of shit would require far more time than I want to put in to add additional armors and weapons and shit. I also don't want mods that add a shopkeeper you run to to buy new, overpowered mod loot, I want them added to the leveled lists and at least be somewhat balanced. Why everyone adds their own shopkeeper I'll never understand considering the leveled lists are already there and ready to use. Again, deleting custom NPC's like that and adding whatever was added by the mod into an appropriate leveled list is fast, but it takes quite awhile to do that with 100+ mods.

I guess this is the reason I don't play Morrowind anymore. I'd love to go around dungeon crawling again, I just already know about everything there is, so there'd be no sense of discovery. No discover=boring game, maybe 5 hours of enjoyment, tops. And I also don't want to put in 20 hours of work to enjoy the game for another 10-20 hours or so. Not a good use of time to be honest. I might do it if there's already a well-constructed leveled list mod to base everything off of, that would help immensely. Maybe my standards are too high, but really, if you're not going to do the mod right, don't make it at all.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10