Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Film Enthusiasts; unite!  (Read 7124 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Film Enthusiasts; unite!
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 01:05:50 pm »

A Beautiful Mind (Drama, Biography) - Psychological Drama about a mathematical genius.
The Green Mile (Drama, Crime, Mystery) - Criticizing the death penalty and adressing religion in a modern light.
Road to Perdition (Drama, Adventure, Crime, Thriller) - My favorite mafia movie.

If you enjoy loosing a tear over a movie, or just deeply saddening drama, watch one of those.

V for Vendetta (Sci-Fi, Action, Thriller) - Quote goldmine.

Anything from Monthy Python - Abstract and weird humor, which most people won't find funny.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:13:41 pm by Mindmaker »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 01:16:14 pm »

Anything from Monthy Python - Abstract and weird humor, which most people won't find funny.
There are people who don't like them? Must be those Austrians - teutonic humour and all.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 01:21:20 pm »

There are people who don't like them? Must be those Austrians - teutonic humour and all.
Well I've met a lot of them. I'm always suprised when I find somebody who actually likes it.
British humour in general doesn't seem to be enjoyed here at all. The issue seem to be, that Austrians don't enjoy deadpans and any form of abstraction.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:32:37 pm by Mindmaker »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 01:38:04 pm »

Ah, A Beautiful Mind was pretty good.

I recommend reading the plays Proof and Arcadia if you want to get deep into mathematician-ness, though.  I think there's a movie version of the former, if not the latter.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 01:54:18 pm »

I shall definitely watch Proof. There's always time for some good movies.
The plays will have to wait, as I still have a heap of books to read.
I'll try to find some room for them, when I pick up the more classical literature again.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:58:13 pm by Mindmaker »

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 04:34:20 pm »

Road to Perdition (Drama, Adventure, Crime, Thriller) - My favorite mafia movie.

You must be new here.

*redirects him to the Godfather series*

Blackadder. Watch it. You'll die of laughter.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 06:14:52 pm »

Also:
2046 (romance) Chinese
Have you seen the "prequels" - "In the mood for love" and "Days of Being Wild"? It's definitely worth it, not only because they're all wonderful pieces of cinema on their own rights, but also to gain more insights on the characters involved.
"Chungking Express" is another great work of Wong Kar-Wai's, and unlike the previously mentioned three, rather joyous.

I haven't gotten around to Days of Being Wild yet, and I hadn't even heard of Chungking Express. But I'm definitely going to watch that. One of my favorite things about his movies is how beautifully melancholy they are so I'm interested to see how he handles happiness.

The best film I've watched recently is Federico Fellini's . A rather meta semi-autobiographical film about a internationally acclaimed director with writer's block who can't seem to escape the flurry of people asking for his opinion. Incredibly well-done. In hindsight, not sure why it wasn't on my top ten list.

If you haven't, you should definitely check out La Dolce Vita. It lacks the surreal dream-segments of 8½ but the story of the journalist who will never find love seemed truer to me. Mastroianni stars in it as well.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 06:18:09 pm »

Also:
2046 (romance) Chinese
Have you seen the "prequels" - "In the mood for love" and "Days of Being Wild"? It's definitely worth it, not only because they're all wonderful pieces of cinema on their own rights, but also to gain more insights on the characters involved.
"Chungking Express" is another great work of Wong Kar-Wai's, and unlike the previously mentioned three, rather joyous.

I haven't gotten around to Days of Being Wild yet, and I hadn't even heard of Chungking Express. But I'm definitely going to watch that. One of my favorite things about his movies is how beautifully melancholy they are so I'm interested to see how he handles happiness.

Chungking Express was great. Forgot I'd watched it actually until it came up in the thread, but I thought it was fantastic. If Michael Bay wants to actually make good intensified-continuity stuff, he really needs to borrow a page here.

Mastroianni stars in it as well.

Sold. Although I've heard it's three hours, so it might be a bit until I've got the spare time.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 06:35:03 pm »

Numbers do not denote any particular favor of one item over another. These are just ten movies that have reached the highest of praise from me.
1. 12 Angry Men (Courtroom Drama)
2. Pulp Fiction (Crime Drama)
3. Snatch (Crime)
4. Spirited Away (Animated Fantasy-Adventure)
5. Kill Bill [Volumes 1 & 2] (Action Thriller)
6. The Descent (Horror)
7. No Country For Old Men (Crime Thriller)
8. Dawn Of The Dead [Original and Remake] (Zombie Horror)
9. Zombieland (Zombie Comedy)
10. Shaun of the Dead (Zombie Romantic Comedy)

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:55 pm »

1. A Better Tomorrow
2. God of Gamblers
3. Infernal Affairs
4. The Departed
5. Big Trouble In Little China
6. Fearless
7. The Italian Job
8. Shaolin Soccer
9. Kungfu Hustle
10. Drunken Master

Mostly HK films.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2011, 04:20:41 am »

Anybody seen 'The men who stair at goats' lately? I realy enjoyed it, right up untill the very last scene when they totaly killed everything the book stood for... He should have run into the wall.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2011, 11:52:29 am »

Anybody seen 'The men who stair at goats' lately? I realy enjoyed it, right up untill the very last scene when they totaly killed everything the book stood for... He should have run into the wall.
I loved the whole thing, including the final scene.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2011, 01:50:47 pm »

1. Fistful of Dollars
2. For a few dollars more
3. The good the bad and the ugly
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Mannaja
6. Children of Men
7. Dirty Harry
8. Men behind the sun
9. Downfall
10. Das Boot

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2011, 06:47:59 pm »

I loved the whole thing, including the final scene.
One of the the points of the book was that anything involving 'psionic powers' was either easily disproven, or told in a story. Clouds in the desert come and go, and if you watch one for long enough it will burst. If you stair at a man and tell him to attack you, yes he is going to be a little freaked out. If you poke somebody in the head, and say that will die at an unknown time by an unknown cause, then dam straight they will, we all will!

I guess when taken out of context and looked at as a movie the last scene still is fitting, but that kills the emersion.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2011, 09:11:21 pm »

I would have preferred if Ewen had hit the wall at the end. To find out that it was all real was... well, it sort of ruined the entire rest of the movie for me. I got that you were supposed to be like OH MY GOD AWESOME if you saw the trailers where he couldn't do it, but honestly, it was just a film-ruining moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5