Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Film Enthusiasts; unite!  (Read 7115 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Film Enthusiasts; unite!
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2011, 02:49:36 am »

I watched Taxidermia with friends recently.

It was hysterical and horrific and I'm never watching it again. The climaxes of the first and last segments were brilliantly hilarious, but it was all awful and disgusting, especially the middle segment. And I couldn't shake the feeling that it was some twisted satirical allegory for Hungary. I know jack all about Hungarian history. So it was the way the characters were presented against their historical backdrop, particularly Kalman and Gizi. The protagonists are exceptional, and in the first two parts they represent Hungary on the world stage. But the movie itself hates them, just like the world hates them. It seems like the perfect setup to make a satire but if it is it's a vicious one.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Ahasver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 02:51:50 pm »

1. Fistful of Dollars
2. For a few dollars more

I don't think I've ever met anyone who's seen those. How are they? I've heard that they aren't at all necessary if one plans on watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly but do they supplement it well?
I haven't really challenged my self to make a top ten list in a while, but here it goes...
1. "The Harder They Come"- Perry Henzel, 1972, Jamaican crime film.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
2. "Barry Lyndon" - Stanley Kubrick, 1975, Epic period film.
3. "Falling Down" - Joel Schumacher, 1993, Black Comedy/Crime film.
4. "Oldboy" - Park Chan-Wook, 2003, South Korean Crime/Mystery film.
5. "Clerks" - Kevin Smith, 1994, Comedy film.
6. "Being John Malkovich" - Spike Jonze, 1999,  Black Comedy film.
7. "Laputa: Castle in the Sky" - Hayao Miyazaki, 1986, Fantasy film.
8. "Lost Horizon" - Frank Capra, 1937, drama/fantasy film.
9. "The Fountain" - Darren Aronofsky, 2006, Fantasy/Sci-Fi film.
10. "Synedoche, New York" - Charlie Kauffman, 2008, Drama film.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 03:18:43 pm »

Falling down was awesome really, i might have to rewatch it, do you guys know any similar going crazy movies?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2011, 05:03:50 pm »

1. Fistful of Dollars
I don't think I've ever met anyone who's seen those. How are they? I've heard that they aren't at all necessary if one plans on watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly but do they supplement it well?

I think they're better, honestly. Especially Fistful of Dollars which is only the most awesome version of Yojimbo other than Yojimbo.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2011, 05:51:12 pm »

1. Fistful of Dollars

I think they're better, honestly. Especially Fistful of Dollars which is only the most awesome version of Yojimbo other than Yojimbo.
Def worth watching if you enjoyed The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. The story does not build on itself in either one, so they don't really supplement it in that respect. But they develop Clint's character just a bit more, but that's not saying much.. hes still a very mysterious man. I can't believe I forgot about Falling Down, I loved that movie. I really got attached to that guy, you just can't help but side with him.

Ahasver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2011, 07:01:36 pm »

Def worth watching if you enjoyed The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. The story does not build on itself in either one, so they don't really supplement it in that respect. But they develop Clint's character just a bit more, but that's not saying much.. hes still a very mysterious man. I can't believe I forgot about Falling Down, I loved that movie. I really got attached to that guy, you just can't help but side with him.
Cool, I'll have to get to watching them. I actually haven't seen The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly yet, but I'm watching it pretty soon for a class that I'm taking, but now I think I'll watch all three.

Falling down was awesome really, i might have to rewatch it, do you guys know any similar going crazy movies?
Taxi Driver, definitely. I hadn't thought about that, but Taxi Driver must've been pretty major inspiration for Falling Down. And then there are other more mindfuck-y films like Fight Club, too.
I can't believe I forgot about Falling Down, I loved that movie. I really got attached to that guy, you just can't help but side with him.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It's almost like you're lead to believe that the main character has become more sane throughout the movie, and that it's really society that's going nuts.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2011, 07:19:19 pm »

Never seen Taxi Driver, that has just been put on my list to watch tonight.

So far I'm doing the Godfather Trilogy which I have never seen.. yea I know  ::)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2011, 07:20:59 pm »

Goodfellas?

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2011, 10:56:26 pm »

Wow just watched Taxi Driver, great movie!

Really weird, but that's how I like them. The shooting scene at the end was worth the wait.

That traveling salesman was pretty funny.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2011, 10:58:58 pm »

Really weird, but that's how I like them. The shooting scene at the end was worth the wait.

Sounds like Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2011, 04:10:20 pm »

Wow just watched Taxi Driver, great movie!

That traveling salesman was pretty funny.

Good movie; wrote a paper on it last year. The travelling salesman was played by Martin Scorcese actually (the director, in case you didn't know).

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2011, 04:39:36 pm »

So i just watched HP and the Half blood prince, the last one i saw was HP and the prisoner of Azkaban a few years ago, so there where some WTF moments (actually a big part of the movie), now i need to finde the other two before i move on to DH.

All in all it's a nice movie, a bit long but that is mitigated by the rather nice pacing, it isn't exactly done according to the standard fantasy film formula, then again it's a part of a rather long series so it does things differently, still a good fantasy movie to fill a few hours
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2011, 02:50:21 am »

My top 1

I've always loved John Carpenters 'The Thing', I believe it is a genre of horror which hasn't really been exercised properly; An Intelligent storyline. Some exceptions are; Alien, Predator, etc.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/

This is the original it was based on, now I personally prefer the sequel, and this is commonly believed to be one of the few films actually improved in a sequel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

If you love 'The Thing', watch this! It is interesting at least. If you like the old style 'B Movies', this is a good one.
If you haven't seen 'The Thing' DOIT. What are you doing on this forum, DOIT NOW!  :P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:06:35 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2011, 06:58:59 am »

Moving some discussion from another thread:

Solaris [1972] is must-see for any scifi fan, really. But if you can't deal with the Russian Soderbergh did a more recent version with George Clooney (2004 about?).
You know, I've never seen the Soviet version of Solaris, I admit this freely. Perhaps because I heard of Lem disliking the liberties Tarkovsky took with the story, when I was a kid.
A failed affair with Stalker some years back didn't help either, I suppose.
To this day I feel almost repulsed at the thought of watching it, however irrational this feeling might be.

Man, I really need to break this spell, else my self-proclaimed status of an amateur film critic suffers. Do you think you could try and sell it to me?

Also, speaking of Soviet-era films, does anybody know "Ivan the Terrible"(~1944)? The thing really should be renamed "Invasion of Goatee Shadow Monsters". Seriously, the things they do with the camera and shadows is brilliantly outlandish.
It's also available for free on Google Videos.

And speaking of Blade Runner, Linklater's A Scanner Darkly [2006] is probably the best adaptation of a Philip K Dick novel.
Heh, there's not enough of Dick's "DADoES" left in Blade Runner to justify calling it an adaptation, I suppose.
But, yeah. Linklater's film is indeed one of the best. Personally, I also liked how "Screamers" approached the material(by no means a perfect movie, though).
I've also heard some people calling the "Minority Report" the best adaptation of a Dick's novel. Hmmm.

And if you consider another one of Linklater's movies, the "Waking Life", does it not strike you as being very much in the spirit of P.K.Dick too? The slipping reality, the contemplative hero, the "don't trust your senses" message, and somewhat mystical tint - the guy must be a real fan.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5