Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Homefront, that other FPS  (Read 5038 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homefront, that other FPS
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 01:33:27 pm »

What's so wrong with an occasional ridiculous scenario? Nobody complained about Stalin vs Martians.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 01:41:18 pm »

North Korea has neither the human resources nor the natural resources to be able to do little more than terrorist attacks on the States.

If someone wanted to actually occupy the US, it'd be through a collaboration, a huge amount of gathered intelligence about the position of US forces, and a whole lot of luck on the part of the invaders.  A collaboration of everyone who hates the US is hardly likely, though - They don't trust each other enough for that.  Maybe in some future day, but no "modern" game can easily say, "The US is occupied!"

I have no problem if the game doesn't take its own scenario seriously, though.  Maybe Korea found out how to clone hundreds of thousands of soldiers or something.  As long as they don't pull it off as, "Come on, this is seriously hardcore bad", I don't see why not.  Sometimes people just want an excuse to shoot a perceived threat, and a scenario like this won't make us feel bad about it.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 01:42:03 pm »

Apparently in the game universe, NK absorbed SK, curbstomped Japan, took the Philippines, had a slap fight with India and kicked China in the balls to attack America. Russia is sitting there saying: "Dude, why did you have to attack them? You're gonna screw up the world economy, man."

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5yyWZ2Z6Ps
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:46:18 pm by Phantom »

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 02:55:10 pm »

Apparently in the game universe, NK absorbed SK, curbstomped Japan, took the Philippines, had a slap fight with India and kicked China in the balls to attack America. Russia is sitting there saying: "Dude, why did you have to attack them? You're gonna screw up the world economy, man."

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5yyWZ2Z6Ps

Still a lot of plot holes. If North and South Korea merged why would the weaker government come out on top? Why would Japan just surrender (they aren't that weak) and why would the UN allow it? With the looming threat of war why doesn't the U.S. more widely incorporate EMP resistant devices?
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY WHY ARE CANADA'S LIGHTS STILL ON AT 1:50!?!
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 03:02:00 pm »

It bothers me because no matter what country "invades" the US, if it isn't russia or china, everyone scoffs and goes "well that can't happen".

Pretend it can, just stop complaining that it's not possible. This is why realism sucks.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 03:05:20 pm »

Hey, I'm just happy that America actually loses majorly and that it ain't the other Superpowers invading.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 03:17:18 pm »

Its North Korea because they are safe. Couldn't really do Russia like the classic Red Dawn now could we? Because they are not the "Red Threat" any more.

China..nope don't think so, they basicly own the United States, why would they bother invading..if they fucked shit up how are we going to pay them back? lol

I don't normally go for FPS set in contemporary environs, but this one is on my watch list, just because Red Dawn was badass
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 03:19:48 pm »

It bothers me because no matter what country "invades" the US, if it isn't russia or china, everyone scoffs and goes "well that can't happen".

Pretend it can, just stop complaining that it's not possible. This is why realism sucks.

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't try so hard to make a believable scenario, if it doesn't make since it might as well just be a Modern Warfare clone.

China and Russia can't really invade us either I'd say that's why realism is awesome...
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 03:28:11 pm »

I find this scenario perfectly believable, Seeing how good at micromanaging marines, tanks, and aircraft the koreans  are.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 03:45:12 pm »

Well the trailer does hint at US being in some sort of domestic trouble, a crisis or something, that could explain it partially.
And really as Yahtzee said all these games about various countries invading US is really getting boring, find some new ideas for "realistic" shooters that won't involve someone invading the US or the US fighting some sort of terrorist organisation.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 03:47:27 pm »

considering we are a large country that allows citizens armed with firearms (other than the Swiss but history says you're stupid if you invade them guys), it would be very hard to totally control us. plus america is gearing up for emp-resistance equipment, fiber optics anyone?

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 03:52:43 pm »

We need a game where Canada not only invades the USA, but takes over the world. A friend and I actually spent a weekend and figured it out.

We'd be really polite about it and we'd try to bribe most people with our superior bacon, beer, and mountain dew (Canadian health standards regulate the amount of caffine so mountain dew tastes like something you would actually want to drink) Anyone else would get curbstomped by our new allies.

I don't know what we'd do with that though.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 03:59:10 pm »

We need a game where Canada not only invades the USA, but takes over the world. A friend and I actually spent a weekend and figured it out.

We'd be really polite about it and we'd try to bribe most people with our superior bacon, beer, and mountain dew (Canadian health standards regulate the amount of caffine so mountain dew tastes like something you would actually want to drink) Anyone else would get curbstomped by our new allies.

I don't know what we'd do with that though.

Well, since you have now taken over the world, the world would progress to the space phase and we'd set about enrapturing aliens and killing cosmic monstrosities
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 03:59:50 pm »

Mountain Dew meet your match:

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile