Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 14427 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Battlefield 3
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:30:58 pm »

Main site - http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/02/04/battlefield-3-is-coming-preorder-now.aspx#%23

Coming Fall of 2011.

Boasts the return of:

Prone
64-player maps
Jets.

As well as a full co-op campaign.

There's little else known about the game at this time, other than it's got BC2's destructible terrain and DICE has built a new engine for the game.

It's a little hard to get excited about modern warfare shooters these days, with the over saturation of the market. Yet Bad Company 2 is still playable to me even after several months, where Call of Duty wasn't. So I'm in for BF3 for sure. I'm sort of hoping that:

a) the maps are dense urban warfare. Because I'm sick of dying in wide open fields to ****ing snipers, tank whores and assholes in choppers who spam their counter measures.

b) the game diverges from what everyone else is doing in other ways. I'm hoping for a revamped squad command structure, hopefully the return of commanders and real battlefield assets. (And not just some stupid fucking UAV console.)

I'll admit, when I heard the re-mixed BF2 track, I got kind of a thrill. But I'm so jaded these days I have a hard time believing it's anything other than a cheap marketing ploy to bring back BF2 players who didn't like BC2...rather than signaling a return a different (better) philosophy of FPS design.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 04:41:40 pm »

Well, 64 player on Xbox 360 was actually one of the things I'm really looking forward to. I'm EXTREMELY tired of 16-player skirmishes. So, hopefully you're right about a and b. If not... well, hopefully we can have SOMETHING good to talk about.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 04:58:40 pm »

Hmm. So, they cease porting the BF:BC2 Onslaught DLC (along with BF 1943) to PC, and now expect us to pay for another game? Right, because I'm suuuure the PC version will receive the same support as the console versions this time::)

BF2 may have been the FPS that introduced me to the genre, but I'm going to need a lot more than nostalgia before I even consider allowing myself to be duped by these guys again.  >:(

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 05:01:02 pm »

I heard that onslaught and 1943 were canceled because DICE needed to bulk up the team for BF3. (The reality of course could be much different.)

I wouldn't be surprised to see onslaught show up as a DLC for BF3 though.

As for 1943...meh. F2P Battlefield offerings have never been that great.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:08:46 pm »

I would say that it is almost an automatic buy for me, but that's because 64 player maps, jets, and prone are enough for me.
I'm not saying it'll be good, I'd probably say it'd be overrated, but I wouldn't say its not fun. Unless it totally sucks. Then I'll say it's bad, and unfun.

But that's mainly since I've been with Battlefield since 1942. The only two I didn't buy were Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Bad Company.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 05:11:37 pm »

I am so psyched for this. My favorite games were the first Team Fortress and BF2. Of course I have enjoyed many online shooters, but those two were the best for me. I can't wait for piloting aircraft again, as I was pretty decent at this and sniping.

Best BF2 moment ever? Sneaking behind enemy lines and planting c4 on aircraft and waiting for them to crew up and move across the map. I would let them get near my teams vehicles before detonating, just to increase the heartache  8)
Only a simple mind can be certain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 05:14:57 pm »

Btw, I wouldn't get your hopes up for 64-player console battles just yet. The 64-player battles are a promised feature, yes, but it's a question of whether the PC and console builds will be different.

Because to date, no console game other than MAG on the PS3 has pushed player caps that high. And it's pretty common today that console and PC builds differ on a number of levels, usually in flexible caps like max players, draw distance, ect....

It's just that, recently, companies have found it's easier not to do two totally different builds, and the PC suffers for it.

So it remains to be seen if they've a) managed the console tech well enough to support 64-players and b) whether they are prioritizing the two platforms in different ways, if at all.

I mean, it will probably be 64-players on console, otherwise that could be interpreted as false advertising. But it wouldn't be teh first time time DICE has made a great PC Battlefield title...and an absolutely shitty console one.

Best BF2 moment ever? Sneaking behind enemy lines and planting c4 on aircraft and waiting for them to crew up and move across the map. I would let them get near my teams vehicles before detonating, just to increase the heartache  8)

Ours would be one of two moments, both involving the Black Hawk.

One was where we kept a full squad alive in a Blackhawk for 95% of a game. We literally ruled the skies, dominated with the guns, dropped grenades from high altitude, did repairs while flying....it was the closest to total immersion in a FPS I've ever had.

The other was the hundreds of full squad air drops into the backside of the enemy field, where we turned the whole game, just our squad.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:26:00 pm by nenjin »

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 05:53:57 pm »

One was where we kept a full squad alive in a Blackhawk for 95% of a game. We literally ruled the skies, dominated with the guns, dropped grenades from high altitude, did repairs while flying....it was the closest to total immersion in a FPS I've ever had.
This.
SO MUCH.
I remember doing stuff like this in BF:BC2. Man that game was the shit with a squad of people you know.
My friend was the best pilot ever, while I'd sit and repair, and he would yell at me and shit and I'd tell him to turn a bit so I could get a good angle, while my other two friends would just be firing away, full blast in the chainguns. Oh my god that was the shit.
It was counterbalanced, though, because snipers only use TRANSPORT CHOPPERS to get to a mediocre sniping spot, with a full transport load. Assholes, to the max.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 05:50:34 am »

64 player skirmishes, prone, and jets?
Don't get me wrong, but weren't all those features in BF2? Eh, I loved BF2 enough that I'll try it anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:05:36 am »

Nah, you're not wrong.

And that is a sticking point with some people so far. They're like "we should be excited for this?"

My take on it is, consider where the genre has been going lately. Consolization is one way to put it, another might be it's just getting more runny and gunny with every iteration.

So I'm actually heartened to hear they're bringing back some features that were left out of Bad Company. For a while it seemed like Dice was determined to do whatever Infinity Ward/Treyarch did. These few features from BF3 show they remember why BF2 was distinct from Bad Company 2, and they've decided they want to get back closer to that.

With destructible terrain, though.

So yeah. I'm happy it's going a direction I approve of, rather than underwhelmed by things I "expect" from FPS.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 06:46:33 am »

Speaking (by proxy) of Battlefield 2, how many people still play that regularly? Any full servers.

What about Project Reality? I'll be getting a new rig here soon, and would love to get online.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 09:06:02 am »

Speaking (by proxy) of Battlefield 2, how many people still play that regularly? Any full servers

Played a few days ago, servers are still very active and I had no trouble finding a full server with low ping.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 12:58:49 pm »

And that is a sticking point with some people so far. They're like "we should be excited for this?"

Of course not. You should be excited for the new excuse that these developers have to come up with in order to explain why you guys are fighting each other. Russia versus Germany in the New Ice Age, Islam versus USA versus China in the Modern Age, Germany versus England over the results of the 1938 Olympics, clearly these developers know how to construct a great storyline that will certainly get me to care about the game world.  ::)

EDIT: ...to be fair, I did like the "US versus China versus Terrorists over the rich oil fields of Random-Stan" storyline in Battlefield: Modern Warfare game. But that was because it was designed as a SP game...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:01:05 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 02:40:23 pm »

I just want BF:Vietnam music back :(

It may have been the unstealthiest thing ever, but blasting Ride of the Valkyries out of my Huey was just so damn epic.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 11:31:55 pm »

I loved the Battlefield series.  I hope that BF3 can wrap up all the goodness that the last games had, but we'll see.

I'll probably end up getting it anyways.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16