Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 14436 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 08:21:56 pm »

It's also apparently not compatible with Windows XP.

I hope that's not true.  I'd be extremely disappointed if they decided to dump the only OS that I like.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 08:27:04 pm »

XP is no longer a viable OS for top-end gaming. It's not about abandoning, it's about the hard-coded limitations of XP.

XP can't address more than 2 gigs of memory.

XP can't do anything above DX10.

PC games require both of those things in ever increasing capacity, especially memory. XP's time is coming as far as the cutting edge of gaming is concerned.

BF3 is cramming more graphic stuff into game that ever before, and taking as much advantage of DX10 and 11 features as possible. XP simply won't be able to keep up.

It sucks, but everyone has to upgrade at some point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 04:10:41 am »

Only issue is Dx10 and 11 features don't seem that impressive. Memory - fine, that is sort of an issue, although primarily due to graphics.

I just don't see any games pushing the envelope in terms of graphics after Crysis (which was XP compatible). Halo 2 and Just Cause 2 were Vista+ exclusive. They weren't graphically impressive at all.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 12:09:54 pm »

Vista and 7 just feel...  Incomplete.  It's like Microsoft decided to make some sequels just to cash in on it, rather than actually taking their time and making something satisfying.  The fact that I can't find a single anti-virus that doesn't completely shut down my ability to browse the internet (On 7) doesn't help, either.

My top-end games run just fine on my XP computer at full graphics (With anti-aliasing and everything), so I don't see the point.  I just think that abandoning a solid OS for a few perks that I don't really need and a whole bunch of headaches I don't really want seems shallow and stupid to me.  I've always thought that pushing DX beyond XP's capabilities was just an excuse to get people to "upgrade" to Vista or 7 because people were sticking with XP.  It's frustrating.  I know I'll probably switch eventually, but at the moment it doesn't seem worth it.

I'm not trying to turn away from the original discussion, though - Let's just mark that one point against the Devs/Publishers if they don't do something about it.  If they decide not to, I guess I've got plenty of time before the game comes out for Microsoft to polish 7 up a little more.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011, 02:46:37 pm »

Vista and 7 just feel...  Incomplete.  It's like Microsoft decided to make some sequels just to cash in on it, rather than actually taking their time and making something satisfying.  The fact that I can't find a single anti-virus that doesn't completely shut down my ability to browse the internet (On 7) doesn't help, either.

My top-end games run just fine on my XP computer at full graphics (With anti-aliasing and everything), so I don't see the point.  I just think that abandoning a solid OS for a few perks that I don't really need and a whole bunch of headaches I don't really want seems shallow and stupid to me.  I've always thought that pushing DX beyond XP's capabilities was just an excuse to get people to "upgrade" to Vista or 7 because people were sticking with XP.  It's frustrating.  I know I'll probably switch eventually, but at the moment it doesn't seem worth it.

I'm not trying to turn away from the original discussion, though - Let's just mark that one point against the Devs/Publishers if they don't do something about it.  If they decide not to, I guess I've got plenty of time before the game comes out for Microsoft to polish 7 up a little more.

Don't blame the OS. Blame the anti-virus. Millions of people are online successfully and I'm sure many of them have anti-virus. 7 is pretty solid and you're clinging to 10 year old software now. This is equivalent to running Win 3.1 while XP is out and complaining that games aren't made for it anymore.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 04:25:19 pm »

Don't blame the OS. Blame the anti-virus. Millions of people are online successfully and I'm sure many of them have anti-virus. 7 is pretty solid and you're clinging to 10 year old software now. This is equivalent to running Win 3.1 while XP is out and complaining that games aren't made for it anymore.
This. I have 7 and have a bunch of different anti-virus softwares and if anything I'm unsure of them being tight enough. XP aged well but it's outdated and there's nothing wrong with an upgrade.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:04:27 pm by Stany »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011, 05:05:47 pm »

I don't really have that many grieviances with Windows 7. Mostly it's just a matter of lessening backwards compatibility, which I primarily need to play certain old games. It's always a kick in the ass to lose compatibility to some games I like when switching OS. I know there's an XP mode available, but I just don't trust microsoft's idea of "compatibility" enough to believe this'll work the same as an actual XP installation.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2011, 06:41:03 pm »

I don't really have that many grieviances with Windows 7. Mostly it's just a matter of lessening backwards compatibility, which I primarily need to play certain old games. It's always a kick in the ass to lose compatibility to some games I like when switching OS. I know there's an XP mode available, but I just don't trust microsoft's idea of "compatibility" enough to believe this'll work the same as an actual XP installation.
That's true, but it's still entirely manageable. The vast majority of old games have some kind of solution out there to get em to work on new OS's, with at least a single solution being viable. Backwards compatibility has always been like that, it really only needs to mean that the second most recent platform's games function on the most recent. A DS has backwards compatibility because it can play GBA games, but it can't play GBC games  :-\

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2011, 07:45:10 pm »

True beans.

So...  Battlefield 3?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 02:59:03 am »

Whenever I hear "PC is lead" I think back with fond memories to the complete bullshit that statement was when it was made about Far Cry 2.  In fact they even pretended it was going to be PC exclusive for the first few months after announcement.

On the upside, my expectations for pretty much all mainstream games having hit rock bottom means I probably won't be very disappointed by whatever the end result is.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Bogre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 11:43:10 am »

I'd suggest looking into Project Reality mod for BF2, its pretty addictive.

I'm pretty excited for BF3, having played most of the battlefield series a lot except for BC and BC2.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 05:50:34 pm »

just loaded up project reality. wow. I mean......WOW!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:32 pm »

Oh man, reinstalled BF2 and they came out with a nice patch in 2009, surprised. Playing again, and I remember why I miss this game  :D.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 10:12:11 pm »

Huh, how cheap is BF2 these days?  I might look into it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16