Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148034 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1740 on: March 10, 2014, 01:40:21 pm »

Not to mention using an xbox controller? What're the other problems with PC?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 10, 2014, 01:47:57 pm »

And then you said that sensible people are on PC.  Dark Souls on PC is pretty terrible.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be, actually. If you use a joystick and DSFix, the game runs perfectly. I have 250+ hours on Steam and never had a problem besides some GFWL stuff that wasn't that hard to fix(god, I hate that thing).

PC dark souls is great, the only problem i've ever had was long connecting times/time outs.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Walter Sullivan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 10, 2014, 01:52:01 pm »

Yeah, the only "big" problem that I had was that sometimes I couldn't see the summon sign of my friends, but even that was fixed by using the DSCFix, so I don't have any complains anymore(well, except for GFWL that sucks, but it's gonna die this year so....)
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" - The Dark Tower

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 10, 2014, 01:57:29 pm »

"It's great on PC, so long as you use an Xbox controller, use this mod to be able to actually play online, and can be patient with GFWL."

You're describing my experience with PS3 right out of the box, but taking a lot more effort, and still only getting roughly half the FPS (I have no idea why the PC port seems to be hobbled visually).

Walter Sullivan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: March 10, 2014, 02:03:57 pm »

"It's great on PC, so long as you use an Xbox controller, use this mod to be able to actually play online, and can be patient with GFWL."

You're describing my experience with PS3 right out of the box, but taking a lot more effort, and still only getting roughly half the FPS (I have no idea why the PC port seems to be hobbled visually).

Well, *I* don't think it takes that much of an effort to put those mods(they are quite easy to install and everything). And I don't know what you are talking about the FPS, I actually hear the opposite(people saying that blighttown lags as hell and everything on console, and on PC I didn't find it bad at all). And if you want you can actually unlock and play it at 60FPS on PC as well.

And we have to remember that the only reason that Dark Souls came to PC was because *we* asked a lot for it, making petitions and everything. Sure, that's not an excuse to make a not-so-well-done port, but it at least made them see that there is a market for Dark Souls on PC, and now we are even getting Dark Souls 2 on PC as well(even if is only one month later, sigh) with some improvements over the console version!
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" - The Dark Tower

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dark Souls: now with death counters
« Reply #1745 on: March 10, 2014, 04:41:57 pm »

Other than being locked to 30 FPS, like on the consoles, explain these 'FPS issues'? Plus, as people have said before you can unlock it, I've just not tried before because I heard it causes issues. DS2 is not locked to 30fps on PC, but will it still be locked to 60? I have a 144hz monitor and it would be a waste if they locked it at a lower value. I watched an LP of DS a while back and they had serious problems in Blighttown, but I've never experienced issues even when I play with 3d rendering up-scaled to 2560 x 1440. As an added bonus I have the hud scaled to about 70% and about 85% opacity so hud elements aren't taking up half my screen.

In other news, let's share some interesting info perhaps? http://darksoulsdeaths.com/index.html
On the character I just beat the game with a few days ago I had 120 deaths, keeping in mind of course that I had played the game to near-completion once before, and half-completion once more before that (my PS3 died, sooo). The character I haven't beaten the game with when I was less experienced at playing had about 180 deaths.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: March 10, 2014, 05:51:00 pm »

Just now beat the game for the first time. Worst part was definitely Ornstein and Smough, at least for me.
Now I'm ready for DS2, but I'm sad because my friend is getting it on PC and I doubt my computer could run it.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: March 10, 2014, 05:53:52 pm »

Just now beat the game for the first time. Worst part was definitely Ornstein and Smough, at least for me.
Now I'm ready for DS2, but I'm sad because my friend is getting it on PC and I doubt my computer could run it.

Asylum Demon: Part 2 was the most annoying for me. I don't know what it was about his fat ass, but he always got me. It was a really annoying and tedious boss fight.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: March 10, 2014, 05:57:53 pm »

Asylum Demon: Part 2 was the most annoying for me. I don't know what it was about his fat ass, but he always got me. It was a really annoying and tedious boss fight.
I don't think I ever actually went back to the Asylum except to get the painted doll.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: March 10, 2014, 06:06:03 pm »

I don't think I ever actually went back to the Asylum except to get the painted doll.

It wasn't until after I killed him that I realized I didn't have to kill him for the doll. D:

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: March 11, 2014, 08:15:27 pm »

I need to upgrade my computer soon if DS2 is coming out. Bought 1 awhile ago and it was always too much for my computer.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: March 11, 2014, 08:37:41 pm »

Good news is that it runs on the same game engine, so if you can run 1, 2 should only be a bit more taxing.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 13, 2014, 04:59:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Video showing the difference.

Either they had to dial things back significantly for the console versions or they've been bullshitting all the way up to release.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: March 13, 2014, 05:11:45 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Video showing the difference.

Either they had to dial things back significantly for the console versions or they've been bullshitting all the way up to release.

AFAIK the beta ran perfectly fine with the original graphics on consoles, so I'd say it's a case of bullshitting. I really don't get it. What the hell were they thinking?

Squill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: March 13, 2014, 05:20:52 am »

I thought that the original Dark Souls looked pretty good on Xbox. Was that just me.

Edit: Also, I might be getting Dark Souls 2 today. I preordered the day before launch day, because I my friend said it was coming out in April, and neglected to mention that was for PC only.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:34:37 am by Squill »
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 127