Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148417 times)

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1200 on: May 21, 2013, 03:04:15 am »

Also to note is that if you're summoned or invading, i.e phantom in another world, you can't lose anything from dying.

I'm pretty sure that if you invade and die, your souls drop as if you had died normally wherever you left your world to invade theirs. If you die before picking them up, they're gone. Not sure about humanity, though.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: May 21, 2013, 04:03:17 am »

Yes, that's true.  If you die invading you become Hollow and leave your souls where you invaded.  You also leave a bloodstain in the enemy world with 10% of your souls but I'm pretty sure you don't lose any.  Killing people in the forest can net you anywhere from a few dozen souls for chuds to 50,000 or more if you manage to kill someone who's been at it a while.

If you die while co-op summoned you don't lose anything and remain Human (assuming you are human.  You can be hollow and still get summoned)
Shoes...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: May 21, 2013, 04:48:19 am »

Well, I believe I'll be stuck in Anor Londo for a while. I got past the archers through a miracle, I made it to Solaire's bonfire, and I've gone through the area several times. I just can't beat Ornstein and Smough. First, some scumbag invaded me and stole my last non-twin humanity while I was trying to summon. Then, when I got desperate and used my twin humanities to summon, we just lost. I don't know where I'm going to get more humanity, and I can't see myself beating them without summoning.

Have you gotten past that point? If not, I can write up a lot of advice on dealing with those.
EDIT: I'll also help, but my SL is now fairly high. Still, do tell, what is your SL?

Short version: Don't go on your own. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:26:34 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49:36 am »

Well, I believe I'll be stuck in Anor Londo for a while. I got past the archers through a miracle, I made it to Solaire's bonfire, and I've gone through the area several times. I just can't beat Ornstein and Smough. First, some scumbag invaded me and stole my last non-twin humanity while I was trying to summon. Then, when I got desperate and used my twin humanities to summon, we just lost. I don't know where I'm going to get more humanity, and I can't see myself beating them without summoning.

Have you gotten past that point? If not, I can write up a lot of advice on dealing with those.
EDIT: I'll also help, but my SL is now fairly high. Still, do tell, what is your SL?

Short version: Don't go on your own. Sorry.

Well, I'm at Solaire's bonfire, and I've gotten fairly good at parrying the Silver Knights, so I'm not having much trouble actually getting to Ornstein and Smough, it's just beating them that's giving me trouble.

I farmed for souls a bit and leveled from level 38 to level 50, which I've heard is about the average level for a first time through Anor Londo.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 21, 2013, 10:21:20 am »

Well, I'm at Solaire's bonfire, and I've gotten fairly good at parrying the Silver Knights, so I'm not having much trouble actually getting to Ornstein and Smough, it's just beating them that's giving me trouble.

I farmed for souls a bit and leveled from level 38 to level 50, which I've heard is about the average level for a first time through Anor Londo.

Yeah... I'm 85 or so, so you'd need to be 67 or higher for me to help. 50 sounds right through, start looking for summon signs! They are usually clustered around the bonfire.

For the fight itself...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: May 21, 2013, 11:53:08 am »

Yeah... I'm 85 or so, so you'd need to be 67 or higher for me to help. 50 sounds right through, start looking for summon signs! They are usually clustered around the bonfire.

For the fight itself...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've found that doing Anor Londo around level 20 gets you the most summon signs. Lots of people favoring lower level builds these days. Not too many signs at level 1-10, though.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: May 21, 2013, 12:32:46 pm »

Has anyone here defeated O&S without any phantoms (including Solaire)?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: May 21, 2013, 12:59:32 pm »

That's my goal. I'm just trying to work up the nuts to attempt it. (SL 59 or something.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: May 21, 2013, 01:30:24 pm »

I killed Orenstein and Smough on my first try without any outside help at all, but I was a bit over leveled. I believe the only thing that let me actually win was absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into. I didn't read any wiki's or walkthroughs on the bossfight, so it was sort of just blind confidence.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: May 21, 2013, 01:36:00 pm »

I killed Orenstein and Smough on my first try without any outside help at all, but I was a bit over leveled. I believe the only thing that let me actually win was absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into. I didn't read any wiki's or walkthroughs on the bossfight, so it was sort of just blind confidence.

What's your definition of "over-leveled?"
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: May 21, 2013, 01:50:10 pm »

Yes, but it's a rough fight. You need maximum mobility in order to not get overwhelmed, but you need to temper that with the thought that (unlike the majority of other bosses in DS) there's a near 100% chance that you will get hit at some point in the fight. I went with a very light armor + high stability shield build.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: May 21, 2013, 01:56:59 pm »

That's why I'm dreading it solo. I'm a heavy armor fighter and I have fuck all for mobility.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:21 pm »

That's why I'm dreading it solo. I'm a heavy armor fighter and I have fuck all for mobility.

I think you will just be able to facetank the first half without much trouble. They don't do that much damage, or have that much health. The second phase is trickier, as they both have dangerous move (Lightning jump, impale etc) but then you are only dealing with one target. Even a clumsy drop roll would work.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 21, 2013, 02:29:17 pm »

What's your definition of "over-leveled?"

I was maybe 70-75. I did run out of estus halfway through, but by divine mercy I had quite a few humanities which saved me. I had a heavy armor set but kept hiding behind fallen pillars to heal.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 21, 2013, 02:53:00 pm »

I think you will just be able to facetank the first half without much trouble. They don't do that much damage, or have that much health. The second phase is trickier, as they both have dangerous move (Lightning jump, impale etc) but then you are only dealing with one target. Even a clumsy drop roll would work.

My problem, after a couple attempts, was even getting appreciable damage on Smough. Avoiding attacks pretty much dominated all my attention/mobility. I think I got Smough down to half at one point, so I know it's possible. I just need to sacrifice a whole weekend on the altar of Dark Souls to get through it.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 127