Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148564 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1005 on: December 26, 2012, 07:33:09 pm »

Because Dex weapons rely on Dex scaling and attack speed.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 26, 2012, 10:05:06 pm »

Dex weapons tend to have a focus on number of attacks (delivered quickly) or critical damage (parrying and backstabbing).

I had an idea; has anyone tried a build with light, quick weapons and very heavy armor?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 26, 2012, 10:06:40 pm »

Well, if you look at Scimitars, and the Uchigatana, (The pretty much only non-dagger/bow dex weapons i've gotten) they attack somewhat slowly, and have pretty low damage per strike. Sure, the uchigatana has bleed, but still.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 26, 2012, 10:30:40 pm »

Scimitars actually have longer reach. For katana weapons, it the moveset you want. Hell, my favorite weapon is the balder side sword and with 40 dex and +15 normal, its below 400 in attack.

You'd want reach and moveset if your not looking for raw damage.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 26, 2012, 10:36:26 pm »

Scimitars have longer reach? I'll have to check, never noticed. Also, the moveset for Katana's, it's alot of wide swings, right? If so, now it makes much more sense why people would use them.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 26, 2012, 10:43:13 pm »

Well, it has a long reach for it's moveset. It's lighter than falchion and slightly weaker but they're essentially the same. It also replaces the kick with a light attack and a small backstep. So again, moveset.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 26, 2012, 10:56:15 pm »

Well, it has a long reach for it's moveset. It's lighter than falchion and slightly weaker but they're essentially the same. It also replaces the kick with a light attack and a small backstep. So again, moveset.

If only they'd replaced the 'leap forward' attack instead.  I love my kicks >:(
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 05, 2013, 09:48:36 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:52:17 pm by Bronimin »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 05, 2013, 10:39:34 pm »

those bastid turtling spearmen, since you can't kick
Try hitting with the offhand weapon to get them to attack.
Are you saying that the rapier is better for offhand than the parrying dagger, or just good?

I'm kind of trying an anti-fire run. Lighting no bonfires. I've been using the Firelink Shrine bonfire though, because I can't go without Estus and level-up. Nearing the second bell. I might start again with the Master Key, rejecting even Firelink Shrine, but I don't think I can bring myself to kill Solaire and others. Maybe. Probably can, actually.

I've been starting play with the Pendant more. It probably does nothing, but who knows?

As for a serious run, I'm going full fire. Pyromancer, ascended flame, 4 attunement slots, all purchased pyromancies + great chaos fireball; +5 Flame halberd. +5 silver knight shield in off-hand; +4 lightning gargoyle's halberd, using only when the normal halberd can't hit enemies well for whatever weird reason (like the ghosts in New Londo) (even though it's actually better than the fire halberd). Only armor is the starting pyromancer leg and hand gear. Lack of armor is a small pain, but not that bad; had a bit of difficulty with the Anor Londo duo, and I'm hung up on the Four Kings because I'm still learning to not suck at dodging their attacks. It's been fun. Lighting every bonfire, kindling whatever ones I feel like. Might go kindle all of them before the game end. Oh, also SL27, trying to not advance for the rest of the game. It's a good level. But I can't get any help for the 4 Kings D: .

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 06, 2013, 06:37:10 am »

i'd rush gravelord covenant, then kill pinwheel, if I were trying to do a no bonfire/w estus.

Mind you, I wouldn't, because getting to o&s and dukes from firelink would get realllllll old.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 06, 2013, 11:18:59 am »

Got this in the steam sales - undead parish is a nightmare with constant invasions with dudes that have some kind of bows that kill me in one shot throu my bow (wat) - and after that, its dead... only rarly a text, no invasions, not a single summon sign for the last 6 hours.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 06, 2013, 11:42:35 am »

Possible causes:

A:You're not human. You'll only see text if you're hollow. Invasions and summon signs only appear when you're human.

B: Server troubles. Happens sometimes on the 360 version to me. You just lose all connection with the outside world but sometimes it doesn't realize it so it won't warn you.

C: You're at the wrong level for the area you're in. Invasions and summon signs are level dependent.

D: You're just unlucky.

As for the people in the undead parish invading you. Yeah... it happens... people are jerks there. Sometimes it's best just to avoid being human in that area. Most others aren't too bad although it can happen anywhere. It's probably not people cheating... because it happens in the 360 version too, that you get low leveled people with crazy good equipment that just murder anyone that SHOULD be in the area. I can go to the Undead burg on a new character and it'll be 50/50 whether I can get a helpful summon up and start the run to the Taurus demon before someone invades me if I decide I need to be human. Your alternative is just to get better than them. It's hard, sometimes with the lag, but pretty much every attack has an appropriate dodge or block sequence that can be done basically from the start. You can't be prepared to counter every eventuality at any one time, but you can learn the most common and know how to avoid them. Undead burg is especially good because there's lots of cover and more than a few places to kick people off a ledge. Even the most awesome equipment won't save you from falling down a pit.

Honestly... there's no better advice to this game than just practice, get better, learn from your deaths. You will die A LOT. No getting around that.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 06, 2013, 11:45:50 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:52:09 pm by Bronimin »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 06, 2013, 01:35:31 pm »

I think crits happen in three flavors.

Parry/riposte
Backstab
Conterattack

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 06, 2013, 03:26:24 pm »

I'm really liking this latest character I'm playing. Not using it for pvp, just sticking to solo play as the build isn't really good.
Warning spoilers!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 127