Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148369 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #555 on: September 07, 2012, 01:45:07 pm »

Yeah, the forest is just where you go if you want to PVP, no questions asked. The actual covenant members tend to have the downside though, because they A: can't heal with estus and B: can't specifically summon help. (although occasionally you'll get two forest invaders at the same time.) You'll get people who sit in there and just grind continually... although, this costs the forest covenant members absolutely nothing except some time and a run back to wherever they were when they got summoned.

I used to love going there for a while. It was a 20/80 chance against that I'd get a kill, but when I got a kill, it was worth it... and occasionally I'd just get summoned and someone else would kill the guy for me and I'd get the souls as well, making it very quick and very easy souls.

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 08, 2012, 08:43:56 am »

Would it be worth getting 30 faith to use Darkmoon Blade on a character that is based on vit/end/str?

That's 20 whole points that could be going into more relevant stats :/

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 08, 2012, 08:44:03 am »

Finally found some time to play again, managed to beat down the depths undead dragon thing. I had something I wondered about, can you be invaded while sitting at a camp fire? I was a bit scared to leave the game running when I made some food.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 08, 2012, 08:50:53 am »

No.  Bonfires and boss areas are off-limits to invasions.
Shoes...

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 08, 2012, 08:52:05 am »

Would it be worth getting 30 faith to use Darkmoon Blade on a character that is based on vit/end/str?

No, not even close to worth it.

No.  Bonfires and boss areas are off-limits to invasions.
False. Bonfires are definitely not safe, as long as you're in an area where you haven't beaten the boss. I have been invaded while sitting at a bonfire before, and I was invaded while standing next to a bonfire that I hadn't activated or rested at yet (I don't remember why, but there was a reason). I lost an annoying amount of souls / humanity / progress.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:54:52 am by Fanofgaming »
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 08, 2012, 08:54:30 am »

Finally found some time to play again, managed to beat down the depths undead dragon thing. I had something I wondered about, can you be invaded while sitting at a camp fire? I was a bit scared to leave the game running when I made some food.
Yes you can. There are some safe spot where you can leave a human character without fear of invasions as they allow no PvP. Out of  my head those areas are the Firelink Shrine, Undead Asylum and Valley of Drakes.

For PvP you get access to some other very good miracles at that faith level such as Wrath of the Gods and Sunlight blade. Depends if you will have the necessary attunement slots.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 08, 2012, 09:00:00 am »

Ah good to know, then I will make sure to not leave my little char defenseless again :p

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 08, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »

When you quit, the game reloads at the exact same point. It's best to quit the game whenever you pause playing.

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 08, 2012, 08:07:31 pm »

What exactly is the point of joining the forest hunter covenant, other than not having all the npcs in the forest attack you? 6 times i got summoned. 4 times i got ganked by people with much better equipment than me. One was the most horrifying chain of lagstabs I have ever seen. Every time i got up and rolled away i got teleported back and stabbed again.

The last straw was when i got summoned to fight some guy in gold hemmed robes and a bandit's dagger. I smacked him around a bit and then I got parried and died instantly. It was a maxed lightning dagger. Probably had a Hornet Ring too.

I hate how no matter how much you "improve" a weapon it always looks the same. You could make a longsword into a god-slaying magical sword of doom and it would still look like a plain longsword.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 08, 2012, 08:13:48 pm »

When you quit, the game reloads at the exact same point. It's best to quit the game whenever you pause playing.
Even better, Dark Souls autosaves so often that crashes are rarely a problem. I've had the game crash on me three or four times, and the amount of gameplay I lost totals up to about ten seconds.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 08, 2012, 08:17:36 pm »

My current character is a SL 35 ninja/pyromancer wielding a Iato +15 with light armour.

I'm kicking so much ass as a member of the forest covenant (probably winning 80% of 1v1 battles), and every win gets a significant amount of souls, plus some useful upgrade material.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 08, 2012, 08:37:45 pm »

What exactly is the point of joining the forest hunter covenant, other than not having all the npcs in the forest attack you? 6 times i got summoned. 4 times i got ganked by people with much better equipment than me. One was the most horrifying chain of lagstabs I have ever seen. Every time i got up and rolled away i got teleported back and stabbed again.

The last straw was when i got summoned to fight some guy in gold hemmed robes and a bandit's dagger. I smacked him around a bit and then I got parried and died instantly. It was a maxed lightning dagger. Probably had a Hornet Ring too.

I hate how no matter how much you "improve" a weapon it always looks the same. You could make a longsword into a god-slaying magical sword of doom and it would still look like a plain longsword.

It does open up a merchant NPC in blight town... but other than that, the free passage through the forest, and no-risk PVP any time any where, well... those are actually pretty good, comparatively.

I believe there might still be a bug where if you want to go from one covenant to another, and go, 1st cov. > Forest Hunters > 2nd cov. You essentially skip any downside that leaving your original covenant might entail. I can't promise that though, I've only heard about it and some of the down sides just aren't worth the trouble. (Way of the white just takes one flask drink away from you... which you just get back as soon as you sit at a fire.)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 09, 2012, 06:52:18 am »

So....... Is it worth it???
I have been hearing that its a TERRIBLE Port...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 09, 2012, 08:53:11 am »

So....... Is it worth it???
I have been hearing that its a TERRIBLE Port...

Yes, it's worth it.  Yes, it's a crap port.  No, nobody should have expected otherwise.  Yes, you should use a pad for it.

Also, Katherine Kerr is bloody awesome.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 09, 2012, 08:58:44 am »

I'm currently undecided if I will get it on the PC when it goes on sale, or just wait and get the 360 DLC when it comes out... I doubt my PC is currently good enough to show appreciable gains over the 360... multiplayer community is the only thing I'd be getting out of it, and the 360 community isn't dead yet... and seems to have picked up a bit over the last couple of weeks.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 127