Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148373 times)

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #540 on: September 06, 2012, 07:59:50 pm »

I'm playing a dex fighter for my first character and I'm loving it. Of course the pyromancy flame helps a little  ::)

Anyhow, I'm level ~40 now and on those damn snipers. I don't really want help as I want to beat the game mainly solo for this first run, but if anyone needs help (from a first time player. Yeah, you'd have to be pretty desperate) then just ask on steam. Take a wild guess at my username.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 06, 2012, 08:11:16 pm »

For the first time in a long while I'm playing a character that isn't intended to stay at a very low level.  Now I've realized I don't know how much to level.

Anybody have a good guideline for leveling up?  I know to prioritize upgrades, and I am.  I rang the first bell today and I'm SL15.  How much and how often should I probably be leveling to stay in a fun and reasonable range for multiplayer?  I'm staying human as much as possible.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 06, 2012, 08:14:02 pm »

When I played Dark Souls I barely did any upgrading and spent almost all of my souls on leveling up. I ended the game at SL95 or something like that. I never really got why people prioritized upgrading so much. Then again, I was doing a tank build.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 06, 2012, 08:21:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's because spending all or most of your souls on leveling will probably put you into a bad place multiplayer-wise, too high for co-op and at risk of high level invaders.  Plus upgrading is way more cost-efficient when you compare benefits to the souls you put in.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 06, 2012, 08:24:34 pm »

I guess it's good that I spent 98% of my first playthrough hollowed, then. No multiplayer for me!

Anyway, in theory you can stay at SL1 the whole game if you're willing to deal with being one-shotted by everything. There's a SL1 run of pretty much every boss on Youtube at this point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 06, 2012, 08:56:17 pm »

I haven't been invaded much at all, despite staying human as much as possible. My first character got invaded once in undead burg, which wasn't really a big deal, and my second character got invaded in the Burg by some chick who had nothing but a reinforced club. She didn't even fight, she just ran around and dropped a couple of crap items. I eventually caught her and killed her though.

That's what I get for playing on an Xbox.

And I don't see much point in me invading other worlds. Of my 8 invades, only one wasn't a gank or some guy with a lightning katana who was hanging out in the Undead Parish for some reason.

The ONE fight I got where we both seemed the same level, with no phantoms, and I lose because of a lagstab.

I had heard that Dark Souls pvp wasn't as epic or interesting as it would seem to be. That it was actually just guys with eastern swords doing circus tricks until one stabs the other in the ass. I just refused to believe it could be that bad. I'd like to make a Nazgūl-like character and go invading wearing only the gold-hemmed robes. I'd get mauled by everyone else though.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:51:54 pm by lionstar »

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 06, 2012, 09:59:12 pm »

Wow.  Just wow.  This is likely the WORST port I have ever seen of any game.  I can't ,even get out of the cell because I can't find which button correlates to "A" on an xbox controller. I can't open the menu to change it either, because apparently it's not escape or some toher commonly used button.  Right now I am just buttonmashing.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 06, 2012, 11:09:40 pm »

Wow.  Just wow.  This is likely the WORST port I have ever seen of any game.  I can't ,even get out of the cell because I can't find which button correlates to "A" on an xbox controller. I can't open the menu to change it either, because apparently it's not escape or some toher commonly used button.  Right now I am just buttonmashing.

You can remap the buttons, but i tried playing it with mouse and keyboard and as i expected (everyone even in reviews agrees) its unplayable without a joystick.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 06, 2012, 11:14:56 pm »

I haven't had that much trouble with mouse and keyboard. I just rebinded the keys to something I liked and I can fight just fine.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 06, 2012, 11:43:13 pm »

Well I made a new character like the first one, except with less stupid level ups.

Suddenly, CHICKENHAWKERS. CHICKENHAWKERS EVERYWHERE. I got invaded twice within 10 minutes of reaching the Burg, the first one before I could even light the bonfire. I even got invaded in the Parish and got backstabbed while I was fighting the black knight on top of the tower. I truly wonder what goes through these people's minds when they do this shit.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 07, 2012, 12:02:08 am »

They're just power-tripping to feel all superior and stuff. Most people that do that tend to be crap at PvP.

Be thankful your not dealing with spawn campers, dragon bow stabbers and WoG spamers.

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 07, 2012, 12:15:07 am »

Well I started helping people beat the gargoyles, and one of the guys who invaded me earlier invaded the host's world. We cornered him and he tried to use his separation crystal a couple of times, and we just stunlocked him.

I'm liking this build so far.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:30:46 am by lionstar »

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 07, 2012, 09:35:42 am »

Okay, I'm doing better now that I ditched the mouse and am using kb only.  NOw I no longer have **really** low fps and an annoying cursor flying across the screen while fighting.  I still die a lot though, but I expected that.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 07, 2012, 09:44:09 am »

On the subject of beating up griefy players, I saw a build yesterday used to 1v2 forest gankers.  Play around until you're almost dead and your red tearstone ring is up, run away, bait them into chasing you, then switch to the +5 Crystal Demon Greataxe and one-shot them.  Bet that feels good.
Shoes...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 07, 2012, 10:12:47 am »

Forest gankers aren't griefers.  If they join the right covenant the invasions pay no attention to SL at all.  My current character wears that ring permanently (well...I take it off for bosses) and sometimes you get great fights, sometimes you get obvious newbs, and sometimes you get three overpowered monstrosities.  It's all fair game in the forest.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 127