Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread  (Read 47176 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread
« Reply #255 on: June 05, 2013, 08:57:25 am »

Well, once you accept that "Aki" wasn't her birth name, everything becomes simple. Her last name certainly wasn't "Zeta-5". :D

GlypthGryph, if by "backstory" you mean the "Journey to Centauri" short story, not even the intro video supports that. A reactor malfunction damages the Unity, precipitating a crisis among the ship's seven most powerful leaders. Then, after Captain Garland is assassinated, the crew mutinies and starts commandeering landing pods. In the short story, it's an impact with a small speck of space debris, people start fighting over the pods WAY before Garland actually bites it, and Yang has psychic powers. I don't think it's actually canon or anything.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 05, 2013, 10:07:26 am »

No, I mean the backstory as in the story laid out by the original game. The actual written story doesn't agree with that either. Which is why many people also ignore that. :P
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:15:34 am by GlyphGryph »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2013, 01:27:11 pm »

Oh Miriam's God.
I've just come to the absolutely and utterly most horrific conclusion about Alpha Centauri's race to transcendence plot.
Spoiler: So actual spoilers (click to show/hide)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2013, 01:47:12 pm »

...judging from the various quotes and cutscenes...
How do you decide which ones are cannon as some depends on what faction the player uses?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As long as that is true, I'm content. Miriam always annoyed me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2013, 02:13:48 pm »

How do you decide which ones are canon as some depends on what faction the player uses?
It doesn't matter which faction you play, every technological discovery and secret project lies on a rough progressing path that constitutes a near-constant chronological timeline. And depending on who is narrating the quote or project, we can understand the canonical plot as the quotes and projects are always narrated by the same people no matter who you're playing as.

Zhakarov pls
Would you put your annoyance above the survival of the human species?
We must dissent!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 24, 2013, 02:25:01 pm »

Miriam may be annoying, but she is the only leader who doesn't grow more insane as the game goes on. She starts, and remains at an acceptable level of (in)sanity. Everyone else gets drunk with power.

We must dissent.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 24, 2013, 02:28:30 pm »

I think you missed out the Gaian-University war. There's one tech where Zak is enraged at Miriam's research and vows to destroy her and the mind worms.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 24, 2013, 02:53:43 pm »

The only canon development for me is who's owning the planet busters in my games :D

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 24, 2013, 03:00:29 pm »

Would you put your annoyance above the survival of the human species?
I admit that my view of miriam is based on research quotes and the fluff story of when they were on the ship so I might be missing something.
But... Miriam is fervorously religious which is the first thing that annoys me. Secondly, They're on a hostile world that is just growing more hostile and she wants to inhibit science.

And I'm of the more pessimistic world view that humanity is screwed unless we start improving ourselves, be it genetic manipulation, selective breeding or some alternative that just has not appeared yet. Otherwise we will probably blow ourselves up or do something similarly selfdestructive.

The only canon development for me is who's owning the planet busters in my games :D
I think you missed a 'n' in your "Cannon" there, Because you seem to be wanting to use them.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 24, 2013, 03:04:48 pm »

I am pretty anti-religious myself, but I can definitely see where Miriam's coming from - a lot of the later game techs and projects are pretty chilling

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 24, 2013, 03:20:45 pm »

I am pretty anti-religious myself
I fear a thread derailment but I'll bite.
I am not against religion. I just wish people could keep it private or in their willing community. It just seems too common that someone says "god wants" or similar.
Mind, That it is usually not religion in it self but men that is at fault... which brings me back to my pessimistic world view.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 24, 2013, 03:27:58 pm »

I am pretty anti-religious myself
I fear a thread derailment but I'll bite.

indeed.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 24, 2013, 03:53:37 pm »

Note that Miriam does not represent a religion ideology, she's not helping people in needs or anything that every religions are teaching, but in the game she's representing those that are using a religion as a pretext to gain power and control.

In fact most if not all of the factions have leaders doing the same, using an ideology and turning it in a way it serve them as a step for power.

Because in the end if they really cared about leading humanity into survival, they would have united their strength and their different ideas to all work together (that was the actual goal of the Unity project before Garland was shot, not the merging into a single mind like some faction prone but all those concepts working along as some kind of new UN).

But with Garland shot, they all decided to separate into factions and warring over Planet for domination, proving they're not caring of anything else but their power.

At least with my planet busters, everyone agreed when i told them i was right :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 24, 2013, 04:32:47 pm »

Lal and the Peacekeepers are a possible exception, with his special power being greater control at the new United Plant organization.  Or maybe he's just using the new United Planet organization to seize control.  Still, the backstory has him forming his faction as basically being sick of everyone else's selfishness.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 24, 2013, 04:38:05 pm »

Yes, Lal seems to be an exception, in theory at least, as in practice i remember some atrocities he committed in some of my games.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23