Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365842 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #5550 on: July 19, 2014, 04:45:07 pm »

I'm still waiting on an answer to my allegation that the leadership of Israel intends to force the Palestinians entirely out of the area and seize the whole place for themselves.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #5551 on: July 19, 2014, 04:58:59 pm »

[snip]
how is that different to the anti-semitic protests all throughout the world that call to kill jewish and israelis and destroy israel?
[snip]

Others acting like violent children doesn't justify further violent, childish behavior.
You're making excuses for something you'd otherwise condemn no?

(woo, Dogpile on BurningPet: The Thread)

-e
Also,
In other news, France has banned pro-Palestine demonstrations, and participating in a pro-Palestine demonstration will get you prison time (three years if you wear a mask at any time during the protest).
Lovely.

and yet, it was the muslims that have ignored that french rule and conducted a pretty violent protest against the french police.
Seems about what I'd expect to happen. Paris was foolhardy in this move.
Heh, legally speaking- were the violent protesters protesting the Gazan invasion, or protesting the ban on protesting the Gazan invasion?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:07:05 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: July 19, 2014, 05:17:02 pm »

Where are you getting this 94% figure from? The population of women is 50-51%, not 94?

The population of women is 50%, the women death toll percentage is 6%. i am not entirely sure what you are missing here. this is the base of my argument.

And yes, I think that their cultural differences in women being allowed to roam around in public ABSOLUTELY explains that big of a difference (between 50% born and 6% killed). Here is a pretty representative google image shot of a crowd of Palestinians:
http://azjewishpost.com/files/Palestinians.jpg

here is a representative picture of normal life in gaza.
http://www.indybay.org/uploads/2009/08/30/gaza_street_scene.jpg

We both know none of this pictures prove anything.
In reality, it is true that more women stay at home than men, but not on a scale so big that it should make the figure 94/6 of men/women civilian casualties.

Edit: Btw, this bring another interesting and sad discussion about women participating protests. in the arab world, women tend to avoid big, heated protests because the number of sexual harrasments and rape rates rise significantly within those. there several studies on this phenomenon from egypt/palestine/syria and other arab countries.

Assuming the Israeli state has absolutely no incentive to fudge their numbers, even if they do have such data fully available *eyeroll* this still gives no indication of HOW MUCH to adjust down the palestinian numbers. By 3%? By 30%?  What? If there's no magnitude implied, then this doesn't tell us much of anything useful for drawing moral conclusions.

The israeli state does not skew the israeli numbers. and as i told you, Betzelem has multiple sources to compare from different branches of the state.

What magnitude to adjust down at the palestinian side is a different story and that is a number that is also more or less obtainable through "CAMERA". in essence, around 60-70% of the reported civilians have actually been killed performing an offensive action or are combatives that were killed outside combat. (again, mind you, this numbers do not involve the latest conflict which seen a larger percentage of civilians killed on the palestine side)

The argument here is that people outright attacking folks shouldn't get counted as civilians. Okay, that's fair, but that's a DIFFERENT standard than "Do they have an Israeli ID number?" on the other side. Somebody attacking doesn't mean they're government-backed or a soldier, or vice versa.

You have to be consistent. If you want to count "offensively acting person" as a non-civilian, you have to do that for both sides, and both sets of numbers are going to be wrong, because I'm sure there are israelis that are not government-endorsed who commit violences, as well as government forces who weren't being offensive who got killed but were still soldiers. And you'd also not get to include hamas soldiers if they were not actively attacking when killed.

There was never a standard of them having an Israeli ID number! the id number was just a means to tell you that in israel this data is completely obtainable. like in the U.S, Germany, Italy, UK and any other western country.

When citing civilians numbers, the usual mental connection is a citing of INNOCENT civilians. so yes, civilians that are killed while performing an offensive attack cannot be considered mere civilians because that gives the false impression of larger number of innocent civilian casualties.

No one maintains that a soldier that get killed without being offensive right this minute is considered a civilian casualty. Betzelem included all military personnel as military, so it should have included all Hamas/Fatah/Whatever operatives as combatants casualties.

So that really does leave the question of israeli offensive civilians casualties, but without getting too deep into data, i am pretty certain its less than 10 people.

I'm still waiting on an answer to my allegation that the leadership of Israel intends to force the Palestinians entirely out of the area and seize the whole place for themselves.

Answer by who? you don't really expect me answer such a claim seriously?

Oh, it doesn't justify. but in the context of GG latest posts here, we can conclude that his purpose was to show how immoral and barbaric israelis/jews are. my question of difference was more of a question of why he had the urge to point out the israeli fallacies, while COMPLETELY ignoring the palestinians ones that are far worse even in this context.

Heh, legally speaking- were the violent protesters protesting the Gazan invasion, or protesting the ban on protesting the Gazan invasion?

I am not entirely sure, but i guess they were protesting about both..
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:33:44 pm by burningpet »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: July 19, 2014, 05:37:24 pm »

Turkey and Qatar just urged Hamas to refuse the Egyptian-Israeli truce proposal.

What we are seeing here, is regional powers taking advantage of the escalation in order to promote themselves in the arab world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: July 19, 2014, 05:38:24 pm »

Y'know what, sod it. I'm out. This conversation's going nowhere.
Join me on the dark side. Discover the power of the ignore list! :V

Someone has finally claimed responsibility for the murder of three teens, calls itself the Hezbollah Brigades.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/unknown-organization-claims-responsibility-for-kidnapping/

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5555 on: July 19, 2014, 06:02:13 pm »

Well yes, actually, I do.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: July 19, 2014, 06:18:06 pm »

When citing civilians numbers, the usual mental connection is a citing of INNOCENT civilians. so yes, civilians that are killed while performing an offensive attack cannot be considered mere civilians because that gives the false impression of larger number of innocent civilian casualties.

No one maintains that a soldier that get killed without being offensive right this minute is considered a civilian casualty. Betzelem included all military personnel as military, so it should have included all Hamas/Fatah/Whatever operatives as combatants casualties.

1) I don't think it seems obvious at all that off-duty soldiers should count as civilians or non-civilians. I could easily see it going either way. As long as the rule is applied evenly to both groups.

2) Just because some dude was shooting at Israelis or something doesn't mean they are a sanctioned Hamas operative/combatant. They could just be some dude shooting at Israelis. It also seems non-obvious whether you'd call people like that "civilians" or not. Again, I could see it being reasonable either way, as long as the rule is applied evenly to both groups.

Honestly, anybody doing this properly really SHOULD just report all the numbers and not make the decisions, allowing the readers to make those decisions themselves. What we really need is a 2x4 table:
[Israeli / Palestinian] x
[Sanctioned personnel, on duty / Sanctioned personnel, off duty / non-sanctioned aggressives / non-sanctioned innocents]

Fill in all 8 cells with numbers and then we can get somewhere without confusion. Right now, I'm still very unclear whether all those 4 cells in each column are being equally divided up in the counts for the two respective groups.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: July 19, 2014, 06:21:49 pm »

Given the historical trend, and the ongoing building of settlements, it does seems like it warrant an answer, yes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: July 19, 2014, 06:46:21 pm »

(woo, Dogpile on BurningPet: The Thread)
This seems to happen every time someone goes on posting with fanatical conviction that they are right, evidence and logic be damned. Faith in humanity bay12 restored.

Given the historical trend, and the ongoing building of settlements, it does seems like it warrant an answer, yes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think BP meant that it isn't question that needs answering anymore. /sarcasm

And before I forget...
* Strange high fives Sheb
Good pic, I've never heard of juancole before.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: July 19, 2014, 10:08:27 pm »

I think this video proves once and for all that Elizabeth Warren is Presidential material. And thus not what a lot of American Leftists really hope for. Just another Democrat, like all the rest.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:10:30 pm by Owlbread »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: July 20, 2014, 12:09:49 am »

What this map doesn't show is that prior to 1946, all this green goo wasn't palestine land at all and that who ever lived in the majority of it, still does in FAR better conditions than in the surrounding arab countries, and that in most of these places, the residents actually hate the palestines deeper than israelis ever had.

What this map doesn't show is that the reason for the shrink in 1947, that is because palestines tried to drive all jews to the sea, despite them getting the majority of the then fertile land. this map doesn't show that israel, for some reason, never had that motive.

What this map doesn't show is the giving up of the sinai peninsula which is 3 times larger than israel and has an access to the suez canal which is FAR more profitable than any other israeli landmark

What this map doesn't show, is the removal of settlements from the gaza strip.

What this map doesn't show, is the almost complete reduction of suicide bombings in the middle of civilian centers because of the settlements in the west bank.

What this map doesn't show, is the population trend of Arab/palestine population increase versus israeli, that clearly shows there is no hidden agenda of driving out arabs nor that israel is committing a "genocide"

The real maps and the real motives and the real history, CLEARLY shows israel is more than willing to part from land in exchange for peace.

Snippy snoopy

Blind anti-zionism/Possible anti semitism and half baked fabricated evidence that neglects the bigger picture or only shows one side is what restore faith within bay12?

What logic and evidence? people argued with me over half a page about "smuggling tunnels to israel and the reason for their existence" :D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:23:07 am by burningpet »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: July 20, 2014, 12:15:16 am »

I think this video proves once and for all that Elizabeth Warren is Presidential material. And thus not what a lot of American Leftists really hope for. Just another Democrat, like all the rest.
Ok, that's not fair. She's obviously going somewhere. Popular politicians can't stop to answer the loaded rhetoric of every person who thinks they're a journalist. "Just one quick question" is anything but.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: July 20, 2014, 12:22:53 am »

The fact that Israel gave back a tiny amount of shitty land in Gaza doesn't absolve them of holding onto and continuing to annex large regions of valuable land in the West Bank.  Heck, why should "I stole something, but gave a tiny amount of it back (btw I'm still stealing)" be regarded as a morally positive thing?

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: July 20, 2014, 12:25:44 am »

The fact israel gave back "tiny amount" of the most profitable land that is 3 times as big as israel is not evidence enough for israel willingness to part with land?

And that "tiny shitty amount" in the gaza strip was far more profitable than most of the amount in the west bank.

And the fact palestines responded for israel giving up gaza with increasing terror attacks is what keeps the west bank under israeli control, so as to prevent further suicide bombings and not because of aspiration to extend israeli lands.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:28:03 am by burningpet »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: July 20, 2014, 12:45:34 am »

This is the only reasonable response to Capitol Hill Project, to be honest. It's not a news team, and they don't give a shit about Palestine, their only goal is to bring down the "Corruptocrats" (quote). Joe Schoffstall, the guy you can see in this video, actually works for Breitbart - that should give you an idea of what's actually going on here.

Which isn't to say Warren's opinion on the conflict isn't shitty, it is, she is absolutely milquetoasting here because its believed anything but 100% support for israel is utter suicide in American politics, but this video is absolutely the worst possible way to convey that, since she did what she should have done in it when ambushed by people like this in a lobby.

Anyway, what I came here to post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/07/18/raw-footage-israeli-forces-storm-holiest-mosque-in-jerusalem/

Reminder: That's the Al-Aqsa Mosque. Ariel Sharon entering that mosque kicked off the Second Intifada.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:52:55 am by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 416