Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365638 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #5490 on: July 19, 2014, 10:15:15 am »

Israel seems to be determined to drive the Palestinians elsewhere. That might work out for them for a while, but I doubt it'll last. We might well see a culture of displaced Palestinians take root elsewhere, recover, and then begin trumpeting "Return to Palestine!". Wouldn't that be fun. ::) Or perhaps some other Islamic country will get it's act together - and then immediately decide to waste it all attacking israel.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:17:47 am by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: July 19, 2014, 10:20:00 am »

It's difficult because I never use the word "terrorist" due to how subjective it is. Is every person in ISIS right now a terrorist?
It doesn't really matter, you don't have to call them "terrorists", that's just semantics. It is clear however that they kill, injure and displace plenty of innocent people and want to establish a totalitarian Islamic State. One would have to be relativistic to the point of self-denial to see something resembling a just cause in that.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5492 on: July 19, 2014, 10:23:44 am »

I don't think it's practical (or acceptable) for the government to track people in enough detail to prevent them from going o fight over seas. If they try and come back, then by all means, charge them with murder and all that.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: July 19, 2014, 10:25:22 am »

It doesn't really matter, you don't have to call them "terrorists", that's just semantics. It is clear however that they kill, injure and displace plenty of innocent people and want to establish a totalitarian Islamic State. One would have to be relativistic to the point of self-denial to see something resembling a just cause in that.

The fact that they kill, injure and displace plenty of innocent people doesn't really separate them from the Israeli Defence Forces in my eyes; something that British citizens can and do join legally on a regular basis. Of course I understand that ISIS are far worse, given their stronger propensity towards massacres and butchery.

The creation of the totalitarian Islamic State is something I obviously do not agree with, I abhor Islamism, but as I said earlier it's not about whether I consider their cause to be just, it's whether I support their right to fight for it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:27:24 am by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: July 19, 2014, 10:37:04 am »

The creation of the totalitarian Islamic State is something I obviously do not agree with, I abhor Islamism, but as I said earlier it's not about whether I consider their cause to be just, it's whether I support their right to fight for it.
Well, that is essentially the conundrum with liberty, can you support the freedom of someone to destroy someone else's freedom? Obviously you have to draw a line somewhere, no democracy can preserve itself if it allows everything.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5495 on: July 19, 2014, 10:43:19 am »

Yes, but if we're going to apply this equally, it'd apply to Israel too. And again, I don't support the level of surveillance necessary to tell whether a person is going abroad for a vacation or or Jihad.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: July 19, 2014, 10:49:23 am »

The fact that they kill, injure and displace plenty of innocent people doesn't really separate them from the Israeli Defence Forces in my eyes; something that British citizens can and do join legally on a regular basis. Of course I understand that ISIS are far worse, given their stronger propensity towards massacres and butchery.

Except that israel does so to defend its own civilians, while they do so to enforce their ideology. all hail the small differences that makes life such a complicated affair.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: July 19, 2014, 10:51:19 am »

Yes, but if we're going to apply this equally, it'd apply to Israel too.
It does. The question is what is justified in self-defense and what is not. I am not saying everything Israel does is justified and neither are many Israelis, but the way people paint Israel as the evil aggressor in this conflict is ridiculous. Of the many conflicts going on in the world, many of them killing Muslims on a level Israel could never pull off, this is the one people choose to be outraged about, which I find is problematic.

And again, I don't support the level of surveillance necessary to tell whether a person is going abroad for a vacation or or Jihad.

Well, these are people that already are under secret service surveillance for being known extremists, otherwise we would not know about them.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5498 on: July 19, 2014, 10:52:33 am »

...You think they don't have civilians to defend? Or that Israel has no ideology?

all hail the small differences that makes life such a complicated affair.

Amen.

Well, these are people that already are under secret service surveillance for being known extremists, otherwise we would not know about them.

Are they? It was my understanding that most of them were random civilians no one had heard of, who met a Jihadist on the internet and decided "That looks like a worthwhile use of my time!" and spontaneously left.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:56:47 am by Angle »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: July 19, 2014, 11:00:26 am »

Are they? It was my understanding that most of them were random civilians no one had heard of, who met a Jihadist on the internet and decided "That looks like a worthwhile use of my time!" and spontaneously left.
Yeah, that happens too, to a frightening extent. But AFAIK the measures that were implemented in France were against known extremists leaving the country, not random Muslims (which would require a disturbing amount of surveillance indeed in a country with such a big muslim population).
EDIT:
I checked back where I read that, this article (in German) explains that the law is directed at an estimated 800 people suspected of being involved with islamic extremist organisations, many of which are already in Syria.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:07:09 am by XXSockXX »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: July 19, 2014, 11:04:27 am »

...You think they don't have civilians to defend? Or that Israel has no ideology?

Who's civilians are they defending?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5501 on: July 19, 2014, 11:09:51 am »

The people living in the gaza strip. The people living in the west bank who's home keep getting bulldozed.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: July 19, 2014, 11:11:41 am »

Yeah, that's all nice and all, but the context of the discussion was regarding ISIS.

And on the context of Gaza, then, well, no, they are not defending civilans, they are using them as meat shields to defend their rockets.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:13:43 am by burningpet »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5503 on: July 19, 2014, 11:18:51 am »

ISIS? No, the discussion was about westerners going overseas to fight for radical Islam. It doesn't matter whether that means ISIS or not. And we weren't even talking about that topic, we were talking about Gaza strip and Israel.

And yes, recently they have been. But the fundamental reason they're fighting is because the Israeli's have blatantly stolen their land and packed them into an open air prison, and are in the process of stealing more of their land.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:23:33 am by Angle »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: July 19, 2014, 12:00:37 pm »

You are contradicting yourself. so to make it clear, my response was regarding the overseas islamic nutcases legitimacy versus israel's.

So, ISIS or Al qaeda or whatever. who's civilians are they protecting, exactly?

And no, hiding behind civilians isn't a recent tactic. it began taking place when the jihad rose to power around the late 80's.
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 416