Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364221 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4530 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20:36 am »

I have met a considerable number of Russians who believe the West did (and may still do) exactly that.
But "the West" did fund islamist extremists.
And all other extremists too. All's fair in the battle against communism.
Weeeell...
http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Street-Bolshevik-Revolution-Capitalists/dp/190557035X

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: September 05, 2013, 08:45:01 am »

I have met a considerable number of Russians who believe the West did (and may still do) exactly that.

But "the West" did fund islamist extremists.

Of course, that is common knowledge. That isn't what I was referring to though, I was referring to allegations that we funded the Chechen rebels.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: September 08, 2013, 09:04:34 pm »

I'm not impressed. There will never be any real change in Iran until the Iranians tear down the theocracy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: September 09, 2013, 04:49:32 am »

I'm not impressed. There will never be any real change in Iran until the Iranians tear down the theocracy.
Meh, some reform first would make the transition much smoother.
Any estimates for the Great Iranian Revolution? I'd say within the next thirty years, though I know next to nothing about the subject :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: September 09, 2013, 10:00:01 am »

Well, the last one was... 30ish years ago. :P

Unless you count the 2009 thing. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: September 09, 2013, 11:31:57 am »

This just in! In a surprising move, the Russians have said that they will attempt to convince the Syrian government to surrender its chemical weapons stockpiles to avoid a U.S strike.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4537 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:19 am »

The Italian Journalist the Syrians kidnapped returned home.
He claims the Rebels are the one using the Toxic Gases.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: September 09, 2013, 12:22:53 pm »

They're probably both using it, but the loyalists are definitely the ones who made it to begin with.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: September 09, 2013, 12:39:51 pm »

Don't worry guys, somehow... it'll all work out. 

By bombing the shit out of the Assad regime, the rebels who are most likely to use the chemicals will seize the most power/influence when the regime finally crumbles.  Ironically, they will gas the fellow rebels who would oppose their rise and the international community will look away as if it never happened.

And there will be a genocide of the...  Alawites(if I remember correctly, this is the group in power?) that the international community will soundly ignore.

All the while, the international community will pat themselves on the backs, saying job well done.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: September 09, 2013, 12:42:22 pm »

This just in! In a surprising move, the Russians have said that they will attempt to convince the Syrian government to surrender its chemical weapons stockpiles to avoid a U.S strike.

I would be very suprised if this is an idea Russia has come up with on its own. I strongly suspect that someone has said that if they can get Syria to hand over its stock of chemical weapons there need not be a strike - a "ball is in your court" kind of move which saves everyone face, if it works or not.
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: September 09, 2013, 01:28:31 pm »

Don't worry guys, somehow... it'll all work out. 

By bombing the shit out of the Assad regime, the rebels who are most likely to use the chemicals will seize the most power/influence when the regime finally crumbles.  Ironically, they will gas the fellow rebels who would oppose their rise and the international community will look away as if it never happened.

And there will be a genocide of the...  Alawites(if I remember correctly, this is the group in power?) that the international community will soundly ignore.

All the while, the international community will pat themselves on the backs, saying job well done.
Oil will be sold at record low prices.

Meh, some reform first would make the transition much smoother.
Any estimates for the Great Iranian Revolution? I'd say within the next thirty years, though I know next to nothing about the subject :P
You have a lingering hate for said theocracy, do you. All in all, the system is not much different than the US's Supreme court, except somewhat more influential.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: September 09, 2013, 02:08:31 pm »

I would be very suprised if this is an idea Russia has come up with on its own. I strongly suspect that someone has said that if they can get Syria to hand over its stock of chemical weapons there need not be a strike - a "ball is in your court" kind of move which saves everyone face, if it works or not.
Turns out this article was right in its analysis:
http://defense-update.com/20130907_45211.html
The recent mission{of Nikolai Filchenkov} coincided with an unplanned US-Russian summit at St. Petersburg. Although no such meeting was priori arranged between President Barak Obama and Vladimir Putin at the G20 conference in St Petersburg, the meeting between the two leaders (just them, no staff) lasted 30 minutes. Following the meeting no announcements were given to the media, which seems strange under the present Syrian crisis, that has already dominated the Summit.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:13:23 pm by Il Palazzo »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: September 09, 2013, 02:15:02 pm »

You have a lingering hate for said theocracy, do you. All in all, the system is not much different than the US's Supreme court, except somewhat more influential.
Nah, but ultimately they'll have to go - that sort of political system is a thing of the past. To be honest, I'm hoping for a slow opening of the country along with cooperation with its neighbors and the EU (Middle East is to Europe as Middle America is to the US - not exactly our back yard, but definitely an area we should take a strong long-term interest in). That would mean quite a bit of movement on the European side as well - I may be biased, but I'm not one-sided :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: September 09, 2013, 02:20:57 pm »

As far as political progressiveness goes, Iran is pretty far ahead compared to the rest of the Middle East.
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 416