Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364439 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2595 on: November 24, 2011, 04:25:39 pm »

Morocco wasn't even involved in the Arab Spring. Tunisia had elections just recently in which a bizarrely moderate Islamist party won a slight majority, but could be blocked by a coalition of the other secular parties.
There were protests in Morocco, I'm sure of that. And the king did some concessions, it just doesn't look like what happens in the other countries as (I think) the country has a lot more freedom compared to the other Arab states. I didn't know the Islamists were blocked from governing though. Guess not everyone was very happy with them.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: November 24, 2011, 04:26:18 pm »

and low-level soldiers are drilled into obeying orders without question, which makes sense because otherwise there's no way you could rely on them obeying orders they might not like. So it's not really surprising that they often stick to the chain of command during coups.

I guess it's this part that confounds me the most.  I want to imagine some limit to the effects of military brainwashing, but the willingness of a soldier to violently oppress his own people stomps all over that notion.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: November 24, 2011, 04:34:34 pm »

There really isn't anything bizarre about that Islamic party. They are fairly religious, way too conservative for my taste but not ax crazy.
What did you expect? Talibans?
For the standards of the region, allowing homosexuals to exist is a fairly liberal attitude. Iraq doesn't criminalize it de jure, Jordan doesn't criminalize it de jure but does de facto, and as always Israel remains a wildcard. All North African countries bordering the Mediterranean criminalize homosexuality at the moment, so this will be a change of pace for Tunisia. Forcing women to wear veils or not varies greatly by region, so that doesn't surprise me too much, but most everything else about their stated policies does.

It takes a special caliber of evil to be like the Taliban, though. That it keeps them out of power alone still makes me consider US intervention in Afghanistan justified, everything else notwithstanding.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: November 24, 2011, 05:27:14 pm »

The egyptian junta has been very careful keeping soldiers out of the general violence in the protests. It's the security police that get to do that bit. Keep in mind that the bulk of the soldiers are conscripts and not treated particularly well either, and I remember som talk about discontent in the mid-ranks. The last thing the junta wants is defections ala Syria.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: November 24, 2011, 07:00:19 pm »

I want to imagine some limit to the effects of military brainwashing
Look up the stanford prison experiment. It turns out that morals are surprisingly flexible things.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: November 24, 2011, 07:03:25 pm »

Look up the stanford prison experiment. It turns out that morals are surprisingly flexible things.
No, it turns out that if you know how to play an authority role, it is possible to sometimes supersede a person's moral conviction through their conditioned trust of authority figures.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: November 24, 2011, 07:21:33 pm »

No, it turns out that if you know how to play an authority role, it is possible to sometimes supersede a person's moral conviction through their conditioned trust of authority figures.
You say 'sometimes', but I would argue that it is more prevalent than that (or at least, more prevalent than sometimes implies). Of more than fifty outside people to see the experiment in progress, it was only one person that objected to what was going on (and eventually got it shut down early).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: November 24, 2011, 07:28:41 pm »

Both Stanford and Milgram were optimized to give as strong authority figures as possible. Such precision is much less common in normal interactions.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: November 24, 2011, 07:31:30 pm »

Then again, ranking officers likely qualify as such
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: November 24, 2011, 09:02:31 pm »

Authority, military commanders have that in spades... and soldiers tend to be broken down to follow command.  So technically and theoretically, they are more likely to follow their commanding officer.

Heres the thing though, if military leadership are the ones who defect, soldiers under their particular command will be more likely to follow suit... or at least they'd be able to make a choice.  So a shake-up in the mid to top ranks is what you'd want to see to get defections.  Theoretically.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: November 24, 2011, 09:18:48 pm »

I point people to the Stanford and Milgram experiments all the time, but those aren't directly applicable to what I was commenting on.

It's one thing to mistreat an imprisoned criminal, whom we are culturally conditioned to view as subhuman and especially when you are a part of the law enforcement institution that grants you moral superiority over a criminal that is independent of your actions, or to ignore your better judgment as applies to a total stranger that you can't even see when under pressure from someone presented as an expert.

It's another thing to undertake an explicit duty to protect the very population from which you were recruited, and then directly harm that population when ordered.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: November 24, 2011, 11:09:00 pm »

No SalmonGod, it isn't.

History shows that time and time again. Military participate in horrid acts when ordered. It's rare for people to call out others acting inappropriate in that matter in the military, and mythical when it is done in the heat of the moment. It does happen, but people who do are extraordinary. Too bad they are ALWAYS treated like crap when they do.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: November 24, 2011, 11:26:18 pm »

*snip*
It's another thing to undertake an explicit duty to protect the very population from which you were recruited, and then directly harm that population when ordered.
Actually, they may join the military for different reasons other then 'protect your people'.  A living wage, get out of X free card, free room and board, the army is cool, and whatever have you.  Mind you reasons for joining an army in 1 country can be vastly different in another.
Also, who knows if the military of country Y is even instilling upon their recruits 'protect your people'.  I think its more likely to say 'protect your country' or 'protect your king.'

On another note, there are different interpretations of who 'your people' are.  Like Iraq for example, Sunni vs Shiite....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: November 24, 2011, 11:39:40 pm »

For anyone who has ever considered the way modern militaries are trained, the answer is sort of obvious for why this is. The military training doesn't enhance your thought process, it breaks it. You are being broken down, and rebuilt. The parts of your brain that make you hesitate before going against orders have been actively targeted for eradication or suppression. (You are pushed and pushed and pushed, and if you fight against the push, more weight is added to what you have to do) If successful, you are no longer an individualist, you are a collectivist. (They stop punishing you as an individual and start punishing you as a group. You don't just hurt yourself when you disobey, you get all of your friends hurt too.) You have a new family, and that is the people who have gone through the hell you've experienced and come out the other side. (The tendency to bond with people who have gone through the same shit you have is used here to cement a unit together)

Resentment is then built between you and your supposed 'brothers'. Now let's step into the brain of that soldier:

Fucking civilians thinking they know what's good for the world. They don't understand what it's like to go through the hell you've experienced becoming a soldier. They think they know what it's like in the 'real world' but they've never really seen what hardship is like, have they? No, the only people who have actually been through what you have are your brothers in arms. If they want to make it into a fight, we can make it into a fight. That's what I was trained to do, right?

Obviously this can't apply to every soldier. However, this is the ideal position of a soldier, and what people who are paid to train soldiers are trying to create. The bottom line is that they want to get the most bodies from the state of "I'm afraid of killing someone" to "I will not hesitate to kill someone if I'm ordered to. Or if you make me." That's the job, and those are the qualifications, and damn if they aren't good at getting those results.

There's a very good reason why people who have been trained to kill have a difficult time transitioning back into civilian life.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: November 24, 2011, 11:56:03 pm »

Sigh...

Yeah... last two posts make a lot of sense.  I was also aware of the type of brainwashing a soldier goes through, but hadn't really considered the cultural divide that creates between civilians and soldiers or how the bonding process between soldiers creates that sort of inclusiveness.

Resisting the urge to say many more things here...
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 416