Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364676 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #285 on: February 01, 2011, 07:42:18 pm »

This still going? I mean between all those angry protesters, I'm surprised there hasn't been somebody that snuck into the place with a gun.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 01, 2011, 07:43:45 pm »

This still going? I mean between all those angry protesters, I'm surprised there hasn't been somebody that snuck into the place with a gun.
The millitary is still keeping order, even if they are on the side of the revolutionaries. That means no assassinations.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2011, 07:45:13 pm »

The millitary is still keeping order, even if they are on the side of the revolutionaries. That means no assassinations.
+ 5 to military for good diplomatic relations.
- 2 to protesters for inabilty to sneek past military.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2011, 07:45:44 pm »

Where is Mubarak anyway?  He's clearly not in Cairo or any other major city.  He's keeping himself under cover somewhere.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2011, 07:51:39 pm »

Yeah, I'd be LARPing Tropico by now if I was him.
What do you call his entire dictatorship so far? Hell, it even has the false promises of democracy.
I mean I would've bought a small Caribbean island and took my dictator business there.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 01, 2011, 08:13:32 pm »

Chances are Tropico 4 will include him as a pre-built avatar. Hell, I did a double-take when I saw that Baby Doc was trying to come back.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24:02 pm »

It doesn't even have to be a dictatorship! He could just buy an island and a villa so large it requires a town of servants who have to do what he says to collect their pay!

It'll be like the most elaborate model train set EVER.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 01, 2011, 08:25:37 pm »

President Obama has officially called for an "orderly transition" of power in Egypt, and for the "young people" to determine their own destiny.  The American envoy reported told Mubarak, "your reign is coming to an end," before departing for Washington.  Mubarak of course swore that he would die in Egypt.

Did somebody say Endgame?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 01, 2011, 08:29:44 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 01, 2011, 08:34:32 pm »

Well, fuckin' duh.  What are they supposed to do?  Half the problem the Egyptians have with their government is that they don't consider it legitimate, because of all the kowtowing to America.  They don't specifically have a problem with America, they just want their own say in the matter.

If America stated support for Mubarak, it'd be hated.  If America stated support for the protesters, earlier anyway, it would make the action "American backed", which would make it feel illegitimate and royally piss off pretty much every other government in the Middle East.  If America said, "figure it out amongst yourselves and we'll support the victor", that makes it sound like America considers the difference between Mubarak and the protesters meaningless.

The safest thing the United States could do in this situation is exactly what it did - butt out and stay out of Egypt's business and say nothing concrete, at least until the outcome is no longer in doubt.  Being diplomatic is about not pissing anyone off, which often makes you sound like a tool.  But it's still the right thing to do.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 01, 2011, 08:35:56 pm »

It's good to see it, too. The USA has a tendency to warp events so they're in the middle whenever they get involved. As do most first world countries, I guess.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2011, 08:37:09 pm »

Yea, Ruddy, our head of diplomatic-keeping-us-out-of-trouble has been very careful with he's works, as to not imply any specific outcome is more likely, and not back either side. I think this is a nest of ants you shouldn't poke sticks at.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2011, 12:11:41 am »

Sometimes the best way to be a friend is to back off and actually let the person (or country in this case) who's life it is figure it out for themselves.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2011, 01:22:00 am »

I'm enjoying watching Mubarak cling desperately to power, clearly in denial.  I bet he's digging deep into his liquor cabinet right now.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2011, 01:27:26 am »

A change in the wind says I!
Both Obamaman and some Australian PM with red hair seem to agree that protesters win, let's get this over with.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 416