Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364766 times)

Blank Expression

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2011, 09:21:41 pm »

acording to Ali J the US have 'close relations' with the Egyptian military
Their officer corps is almost entirely trained in the United States. Yeah, there's a close relationship there.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2011, 01:18:42 am »

The USA will not intefere. Even they know the consequences of that.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2011, 02:56:55 am »

This can only end well for the US if we strongly, but equitably, support the new government. I suspect that we will try to make it look like the protests were the straw that broke the- ahem- camel's back, with the decades of US urgings for civil rights being the main thing that caused the former Egyptian president to accept defeat.

This may even work, to a degree.

Here's a question; The United States has been critisized by a great many people (myself included,) for attempting to police the world. And we know how well Liberation works, if the number of Iraqis and Afgans who have been liberated from their mortal coils indicates anything. What, I put forward in all seriousness, should the US do if it may neither attack nor ignore tyrants*? I am sure that that is not exactly the problem here- the US has been providing material support to the former Egyptian government, not simply ignoring it- but the question stands.

*Even those put in place by the previous generation of Americans?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2011, 03:42:19 am »

Well I have to applaude the integrity of the Egyptian population.
When looters hit the national museum, they formed a blockade to halter these criminals. When the police left the population to do as they like, people took to the streets to direct traffic and stop accedents.

Sometimes political turmoil happens, but it speeks praise of the Egyptian people how they conduct themselves.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2011, 04:21:09 am »

Sometimes political turmoil happens, but it speeks praise of the Egyptian people how they conduct themselves.

The anarchist in me will bite its tongue and merely agree :)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2011, 04:23:51 am »

I know, i know. Being unlawful good myself, I'm drawn between watching an evil govenment being overthrown in the most fitting and entertaining of ways, and seeing people suffer through streets so thick in tear gas it forms a powder on the road.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2011, 04:28:29 am »

I know, i know. Being unlawful good myself, I'm drawn between watching an evil govenment being overthrown in the most fitting and entertaining of ways, and seeing people suffer through streets so thick in tear gas it forms a powder on the road.

My sympathy for those who face those hardships and anger at those who invoke them is overwhelmed by my pride in people for fighting through them.  I hope one day I can be proud of people who aren't on the other side of the world.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2011, 06:11:33 pm »

We'll see what happens.  It's encouraging to see this at first, but political Islam is a far more organized and cohesive force in the middle east than democratic liberalism.  I believe we'll see a democratic transitional government set up, and a few months later overthrown.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2011, 06:28:18 pm »

We'll see what happens.  It's encouraging to see this at first, but political Islam is a far more organized and cohesive force in the middle east than democratic liberalism.  I believe we'll see a democratic transitional government set up, and a few months later overthrown.
Considering that a few polls conducted last year showed that at least a significant part of the Egyptians favors a more religion-oriented country, that may not be necessary. Last elections, the Muslim Brotherhood managed to gain IIRC 20% of the votes (trough independent candidates because they themselves were illegal). Overthrowing an Islamic democracy is going to bring significantly more problems then overthrowing a secular democracy not in the least place because nobody is waiting for another civil war in the region.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2011, 08:12:01 pm »

Update on Sudan:
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/01/2011131173810198363.html
99.57% voted in favor of splitting, north seems to accept the decision.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 31, 2011, 08:32:19 pm »

Update on Sudan:
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/01/2011131173810198363.html
99.57% voted in favor of splitting, north seems to accept the decision.

Is it legitimate?  You can't get 99.57% of people to agree on the simplest and most trivial of things.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 31, 2011, 08:44:21 pm »

The problem with a democratic Islamic nation isn't the rest of the world; it's the hardliners and Al Qaeda. They'll target any Muslim nation that isn't toeing the line according to their interpretation of Islam. And since the US would throw aide at any democratic Muslim nation....they'd be guilty of the two majors sins according to Al Qaeda. And then we'd be forced to deploy troops to protect a nascent democracy.... it'd be Jihad in Egypt because we're there in force. And then Israel would flip shit because Egypt is just across the pond, and the Mid-East peace process grinds to a complete and total halt.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:46:17 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 31, 2011, 08:48:54 pm »

Yeah, it's legitimate; they have more than enough reasons to want separation. After the hundreds of thousands dead from the Darfur conflict, they don't particularly care to be part of the same country any more. It's been pretty obvious this would happen for months now; and with UN enforcement/backing and the go-ahead from the north, I have a hard time seeing how there could be anything but a peaceful separation at this point.

And last I checked, Al Qaeda hates pretty much everyone but a state like Afghanistan controlled by the Taliban. Whether its a mildly Islamic one or secular makes no difference.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:50:53 pm by alway »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 31, 2011, 08:50:05 pm »

The problem with a democratic Islamic nation isn't the rest of the world; it's the hardliners and Al Qaeda. They'll target any Muslim nation that isn't toeing the line according to their interpretation of Islam. And since the US would throw aide at any democratic Muslim nation....they'd be guilty of the two majors sins according to Al Qaeda. And then we'd be forced to deploy troops to protect a nascent democracy.... it'd be Jihad in Egypt because we're there in force. And then Israel would flip shit because Egypt is just across the pond, and the Mid-East peace process grinds to a complete and total halt.

So I take it things arn't going well for the middle east, but atleast the chances of catching terrorists is higher then the chance of finding Weapons of mass destruciton.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 31, 2011, 08:55:10 pm »

I'm sure catching terrorists will be of great comfort to the Egyptians when their country is a conflict zone akin to Iraq.

Seriously, I've been waiting for Al Qaeda to break on to the scene in Egypt. The fact that Egypt is pretty moderate by comparison to some Muslim countries I think is the reason they haven't been able to operate. If they started blowing up Shiites in Egypt, the people would start putting their militias to work and the military would act.

I think all they're waiting on is for the situation to destabilize more so they can start getting situated amongst the chaos. The minute the political situation goes in a direction that isn't good for radical Islam, they'll act. That's why they're so fucking devious. Al Qaeda cells involved in conflicts they have little to do with, and make a bad situation get worse. 
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 416