Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365368 times)

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #5895 on: July 23, 2014, 02:08:21 pm »

Well, seeing they did so after repeating small arms fire and Anti tank missiles were shot from that hospital, i'd say yes, they can be called "terrorist lovers".
Seriously, W. T. F.?

Way over the line this time toward crazytown, dude. Israel deciding to blow up a hospital does not make it justified purely on the principle that Israel fired shells at it! Listen to yourself! Somebody defending a hospital despite it being attacked merely means that they are REALLY desperate to not be sick and diseased from now on, instead of just a little bit desperate to not be sick and diseased.
Um, think you may of misread him there. Maybe, reread. Wow, can't believe I'm actually defending burning pet here.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: July 23, 2014, 02:16:59 pm »

No, I didn't misread him.

"People firing anti-tank missiles and small arms fire" implies defending a hospital against invading tanks and soldiers. Which seems completely reasonable. Israelis could stop that by not having invading tanks there...

If you came onto my property and started shooting the place up, and I had a gun, I might shoot at you from my bedroom window. Doesn't make me a terrorist... and doesn't mean I deserve to have my bedroom blown up...  (I may happen to be a terrorist for other reasons! But not because of that.)

Unless there's something else in the article that is relevant -- I can't tell since it's not in English.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:25:01 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: July 23, 2014, 02:24:22 pm »

Yes, that hospital also housed rockets and rocket launchers against israeli civilians.

A prison that turns into an amusement park, is still an amusement park despite originally built as a prison and despite still having cells in it.

An hospital housing offensive tunnels, rockets and terrorists, turns into a terrorist fortress, despite originally built as an hospital.

The future possible function of the hospital is irrelevant since Qatar could fund its reconstruction, just like it funded its destruction.

The blame is solely on hamas and partially on those international elements that deflect the truths and prevent the world from understanding that something must be done against the terror organizations and for the gazan people.

http://news.walla.co.il/?w=/2689/2768614
Hamas is shooting mortars at the hospital israel set up for palestinians. it is also preventing palestines from reaching that hospital.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: July 23, 2014, 02:27:34 pm »

^

Well you didn't SAY any of those things. But fine.

It would be nice if you could provide stories and evidence in English attesting to those facts, though. (both because the auto translations are usually garbled sufficiently to not get critical details for sure, and also because anybody writing this news in Hebrew is probably not super objective)

It's not all really adding up cleanly to my eye. Did they actually enter the hospital with troops and search it? If so, why did it need to get blown up on top of that? And if not, how do they know all of that?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:44:17 pm by GavJ »

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: July 23, 2014, 02:44:19 pm »

Apparently there was a UN resolution about the current situation in Israel. The only country which voted against it was, unsurprisingly, USA. Link.
._.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: July 23, 2014, 03:30:39 pm »

Apparently there was a UN resolution about the current situation in Israel. The only country which voted against it was, unsurprisingly, USA. Link.

Did you see the countries that voted yes, against the countries that have absented?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:34:43 pm by burningpet »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: July 23, 2014, 03:45:51 pm »

Did you see the countries that voted yes, against the countries that have absented?
no
._.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: July 23, 2014, 03:52:53 pm »

http://rotter.net/User_files/forum/53cfeb4f694515831.jpg

It is "ironic" that the countries that voted yes include russia, iran, china, saudi arabia, cuba and the slew of all others that their disregard for human rights, women rights, gay rights, freedom of thought, equality, government transparency, anti corruption and many other issues that are common concern in modern countries. 

I am sorry, but the UN has turned, and not so recently, into a cynical, political battering ram in the hands of dictators, religious radicals and corrupted leaders.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: July 23, 2014, 03:55:17 pm »

tell me all about the dirt you have on argentina, india, peru, south africa, you know basically the countries which aren't included in this sweeping generalization you've thrown up out of nowhere

europe doesn't vote on things involving israel because of eu policy, i'm sure you'd see a yes vote from the uk if that wasn't the case

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: July 23, 2014, 04:00:39 pm »

Yes, let's look at the OTHER countries. Ones without direct significant involvement:

Italy, speaking on behalf of the European Union and other countries, condemned the loss of hundreds of civilian lives and called for an immediate cessation of the hostilities in Gaza. They welcomed and supported the efforts by regional partners, in particular Egypt. They strongly condemned the indiscriminate firing of rockets into Israel by Hamas, and, while recognizing Israel’s right to defend itself, also underlined that Israel’s military operation must be proportionate and in line with international humanitarian law.
Condemning both

Venezuela condemned the blatant violation of human rights and international humanitarian law by Israel’s political and military elite. Israel was seeking to exterminate the Palestinian people and to deprive them permanently of their historical legacy. Israel’s actions constituted a war crime and a crime against humanity. State terrorism had become a daily practice of the occupying power. Venezuela demanded that the brutal blockade against the Palestinian people be lifted immediately and that humanitarian aid be allowed in.
Condemning Israel

Brazil strongly condemned the Israeli bombardment of Gaza, as well as the firing of rockets and mortars from Gaza into Israel, and the placement of weapons in vacant schools. Israel could not neglect its responsibilities under international humanitarian law, namely to protect the Palestinian civilian population. The illegal Israeli occupation was the main cause of human rights violations in Palestine. An independent international commission of inquiry was needed.
Condemning both

Ireland said it was appalled by the upsurge of violence in Gaza and especially the very high and unacceptable level of civilian casualties. It was clear that neither side was paying adequate regard to the cost of their actions on innocent civilians. It commended those working to bring about a ceasefire, especially Egypt. Ireland accepted Israel’s right to defend its people but said that right did not negate the rights of others. Ireland supported the conduct of an appropriate investigation into breaches of international law.
Condemning both

Indonesia was distressed by the gravity of the suffering of the Palestinian people and strongly condemned Israel’s indiscriminate and disproportionate military campaign against them. Israel may have the might but that did not necessarily make them right. Ignorance and lack of accountability for violations of international law would only reinforce the culture of impunity and lead to the recurrence of violence. Indonesia was also deeply disturbed that basic necessities were very hard to obtain, if not impossible.
Condemning Israel

Russia was deeply disturbed about the worsening situation in the Gaza Strip, especially the suffering of innocent citizens, such as women and children. More than 600 Palestinians had been killed since the onset of fighting. At the same time, Russia was concerned about the shelling of Israeli civilian targets by fighters of Hamas and other groups. The existing situation was another proof of the futility of the status quo, while any solution had to be worked out together with Arab States.
Condemning both

...And on and on similarly down the line. EVERYBODY who is even slightly neutral on the topic is condemning Israeli actions, escalation, and behavior. Most are also condemning rocket attacks and Palestinian behavior (surprisingly fewer countries, but still most).

To look at those lists of comments and claim that the special session was misguided, or that Israel is clearly justified, would be absurd.

It is "ironic" that the countries that voted yes include russia, iran, china, saudi arabia, cuba and the slew of all others that their disregard for human rights, women rights, gay rights, freedom of thought, equality, government transparency, anti corruption and many other issues that are common concern in modern countries. 
So according to you, unless everybody is perfect and saintly in every way, we should just not bother to make any attempt to ever begin to police human rights violations?
Yeah that's a super practical philosophy for making the world a better place  ::)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: July 23, 2014, 04:03:45 pm »

Argentina? Peru? India? South africa, really? have you been to those countries? i have. the dirt, it is staggering!

Obviously, some countries that voted yes are slightly better than China, Russia, Saudi arabia and iran. those countries were probably lobbied extensively by rich arabs and/or have issues with the US.

I find the fact that this resolution completely disregard hamas actions of shooting at civilians, from behind civilians, from within hospitals, schools, mosques and ambulances to be extremely telling.

And europe didn't vote No, precisely because the things involving lots of lots of money from filthy rich radical arab countries and lots of lots of muslims in their own countries.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: July 23, 2014, 04:05:37 pm »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28451691
This just got interesting...

Edit:

Argentina? Peru? India? South africa, really? have you been to those countries? i have. the dirt, it is staggering!

Obviously, some countries that voted yes are slightly better than China, Russia, Saudi arabia and iran. those countries were probably lobbied extensively by rich arabs and/or have issues with the US.

I find the fact that this resolution completely disregard hamas actions of shooting at civilians, from behind civilians, from within hospitals, schools, mosques and ambulances to be extremely telling.

And europe didn't vote No, precisely because the things involving lots of lots of money from filthy rich radical arab countries and lots of lots of muslims in their own countries.

???
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:11:43 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: July 23, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28451691
This just got interesting...

Funny that he seem so concerned with his "people" sacrifices while sitting on billions of their aid dollars, in a high luxury hotel in doha.

And israel will not lift the blockade without them disarming themselves. i see no point for israel to keep letting them insert rockets and explosives to the strip.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: July 23, 2014, 04:14:02 pm »

Meant to post this earlier;

A lengthy academic article about the tunnels in Gaza. It mostly focuses on the smuggling tunnels, Hamas's control and what it has meant for the area economically and socially. You could do worse as a primer for post-handover Gaza.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: July 23, 2014, 04:14:22 pm »

So according to you, unless everybody is perfect and saintly in every way, we should just not bother to make any attempt to ever begin to police human rights violations?
Yeah that's a super practical philosophy for making the world a better place  ::)

No, according to me, those resolutions should be about actual matters because of actual concerns, and not because of political strife.
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 416