Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: "You Can't Torrent Your Game Copy, That's Illegal"  (Read 22288 times)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
Re: "You Can't Torrent Your Game Copy, That's Illegal"
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2011, 06:46:34 pm »

So piracy is a little like Puritan sex. Everyone does it but nobody should talk about it or ever acknowledge it exists.

On other forums I compared it to masturbation and its status fifty years ago. But I suppose it's not so drastic, since pirating games with your friends isn't as awkward.

"Is it dumb to post about pirating on the company's forum".

There are many things that are dumb to do on company's forum, including (but not limited to) bitching, arguing with a mod, discussing lack of swastikas in WW2 games or - for some companies - even mildly criticizing the game. Every action that can make you banned probably should be considered stupid. But not because they all are immoral, but only because you will lose access to this particular forum. I don't see any reason not to talk about it here.

Nope, you should just have the decency and common sense and social awareness to know not to talk about pirating music when you're talking to the band themself.

I believe there is a fundamental difference between  "I pirated your album, cause I didn't want to pay for it" and "The CD I bought is scratched, I'll just download its content from Torrents". You can cut a guy, who has already paid for the damn product, some slack. Seriously, what message does banning him send to the potential buyers?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2011, 06:51:40 pm »

Someone just said Paradox moderators are fascists; it has nothing to do with participants in this discussion.
I think the OP was a complaint about being banned or threadlocked by the Paradox mods for talking about torrenting.

discussing lack of swastikas in WW2 games
To be fair on that point, depictions of the swastika in games are illegal in Germany, so for a game intended for international release would most likely not have them. The wiki or somewhat for WWII: Online specifically states this for it's lack of the Nazi symbol for the Axis army.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2011, 06:56:04 pm »

To be fair on that point, depictions of the swastika in games are illegal in Germany, so for a game intended for international release would most likely not have them. The wiki or somewhat for WWII: Online specifically states this for it's lack of the Nazi symbol for the Axis army.

Sure. I only used it as an example of an action which would certainly bring the moderator's wrath and is not particularly evil.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2011, 07:32:42 pm »

I think the OP was a complaint about being banned or threadlocked by the Paradox mods for talking about torrenting.

Yep, but nobody called anyone posting here a nazi. I don't see saying moderators come off as fascists is irrational, hatefilled or childish - it is easy way to say "I think those moderators are far too strict" without so many words. Nobody expects them to actually march around in brown shirts tormenting jews.

Mind you, I don't agree with the opinion, I don't think Paradox moderators are fascists. They have pretty lax and friendly guidelines compared to - say - all major game companies.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2011, 07:53:39 pm »

Soulwynd called Bill Gates a Nazi for some reason, is what I was getting at.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2011, 08:06:03 pm »

Soulwynd called Bill Gates a Nazi for some reason, is what I was getting at.
It was a compliment. I don't like Jews.

That was a joke and when you get worked out at something silly like that and call others childish and hate filled when in fact said someone is successfully running Vista, certainly makes you look bad instead. You see, I don't relate the word nazi to hate, if you have an issue with it, I apologize, never meant to hurt your feelings. Or anyone else, I love you all... T_T *drama queens out of the thread*

/oscar or golden globe kplz

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:15:24 pm by Soulwynd »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2011, 08:18:47 pm »

Godwin's law.  Argument is over.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2011, 09:46:08 pm »

I sympathise with the original poster. Steam is a gigantic pile of obstinate shit
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2011, 10:05:18 pm »

When I have pirated something it has generally been stuff that I would not buy and yet of all the games I have done this to over half of them I ended up buying after the fact. The big thing is not the fact that I bought them afterwords though, Its the fact that if I had not aquired them before hand I would have never bought them. The people who pirating in the end hurts most are the people who have bad products. The only games that I have gotten in the past and not later bought are the ones that suck. This is just my opinion and the opinion of most of my RL friends and a lot of my online friends so its a sample size that should never be considered good enough but it is still a sample of people.
    Why do I buy a game I like but already have free? It is not because of guilt which I do not feel over it. The reason is because I want to reward the people who made the game I enjoyed. It connects to the same reason Toady can make DF and give it out for free yet still live off of it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2011, 10:17:16 pm »

long ass quote

I agree, there aren't enough swastikas in world war II games. I find the lack of nazi propaganda and other horrible things detracts from the realism.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2011, 10:31:21 pm »

long ass quote

I agree, there aren't enough swastikas in world war II games. I find the lack of nazi propaganda and other horrible things detracts from the realism.
[joke]
You know what I hate even more then that? Hitler ruined a perfectly good mustache style. Sure he killed a lot of people but man a whole style of styling your mustache!
[/joke]
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2011, 10:39:25 pm »

and nobody names their children Adolf anymore

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2011, 10:41:35 pm »

I am sure SOMEONE does, just like some people still rock the Hitler stache.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2011, 10:47:23 pm »

Don't forget how they totally ruined black and silver uniforms for everyone else as well

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2011, 10:50:19 pm »

Ah yes, Bay12, where you can start a thread on how pirating is not all that bad and end up on how Hitler ruined everything because of his sense of style and not the fact he killed so many people.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14